Page 51 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455611011515511051 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Is really like marvel to publish masterworks of 'The Spectacular Spider-Man'
    Well, they're working their way thru the bronze age at a fairly steady clip, so it does seem feasible doesn't it? The old saying "your guess is as good as ours" applies here, but it's highly likely they'll get to it eventually. Especially with Spidey being Marvel's flagship character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    There's many examples in the past where they've collected certain volumes in OHC and then stopped (Incredible Herc, Nova, Iron Man (Fraction)) to name a few.
    And don't forget Bruce Jones' Hulk run got stranded in two different formats: OHC and Premiere!

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Any of the new books showed up to pre-order yet? Primarily Thor OHC and Cable & Deadpool Omnibus, can't wait for those!
    Some of them are already popping up on amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Attachment 1735

I hate the name change. Really bothered me.
    That's a strange version of ASM v6: Happy Birthday you have!

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    That's a strange version of ASM v6: Happy Birthday you have!
    isn't that a Panini edition?

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    isn't that a Panini edition?
    Yeah. It was sold out everywhere else I looked, so I went to Amazon.co.uk and got it. Shipped faster than Amazon US, too.

Even better, I got 8 of the trades in JMS's run from a outlet bookstore for $30 total. Good day.

There's many examples in the past where they've collected certain volumes in OHC and then stopped (Incredible Herc, Nova, Iron Man (Fraction)) to name a few.

In Superior Spidey's case, with the end in sight/here, and a decent size of the total run to fit in an omnibus, the high level thinking is it will be omnibused at some point (one consistent author, almost same creative team, big storyline in character, all contained in 1 volume - it hits all the right points). That doesn't mean we won't get a OHC vol. 3 before the omnibus is released, it just means we won't see it before 1/1/2015.

The final TPB of the series comes out in JULY; there were ~7 months between vol 1 & 2, if it held that same timframe, vol. 3 would be released in NOV/DEC. Plenty of time for the TPB to be in market. But alas, no.

Does this mean we won't get an OHC vol. 3? No.
    Does this mean we will be getting an omnibus of the material? No.

To paraphrase the words of Merrick, "Your guess is as good as ours."
    Also, to bring back a quote from the old boards: "You da man, Charlie Brown!"
    Thanks for the explanation!

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

In Superior Spidey's case, with the end in sight/here, and a decent size of the total run to fit in an omnibus, the high level thinking is it will be omnibused at some point (one consistent author, almost same creative team, big storyline in character, all contained in 1 volume - it hits all the right points). That doesn't mean we won't get a OHC vol. 3 before the omnibus is released, it just means we won't see it before 1/1/2015
    Another thing to keep in mind is the mass market release dates are a few weeks later than the direct market. Books that would ship on December 24 and 31 (and maybe the 17th as well) wouldn't show up in the catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by DonWinslow View Post
    Attachment 1735

I hate the name change. Really bothered me.
    Nice one. Thanks. I think I want them but can't decide

Got my Powers Definitive 1-3 today. CGN packaging is nothing short of phenomenal. The paper is really thin and it's not overly glossly. Some may hate that, but I actually like the touch and feel. It makes it easier to turn the pages as well. We'll see how they hold up. The covers have a nice red and black contrast, which gives it a unique look.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is the mass market release dates are a few weeks later than the direct market. Books that would ship on December 24 and 31 (and maybe the 17th as well) wouldn't show up in the catalog.
    So we may still get it by that time? I hope so.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    So we may still get it by that time? I hope so.
    It's possible. There are five Wednesdays this December, and obviously the Daredevil Vol 1 Epic didn't make it to the catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    It's possible. There are five Wednesdays this December, and obviously the Daredevil Vol 1 Epic didn't make it to the catalog.
    Here's hoping then.

Spectacular Member dark phoenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by invisiblegardener View Post
    From Tom Brevoort's Tumblr:

Q: What's up with the pricing of Hickman's second FF omnibus? Compared to vol. 1, a price increase of $25 for 32 pages? Surely you understand how this could LOOK like Marvel is capriciously taking advantage of those who have already purchased vol. 1.

A: Our pricing is hardly capricious. The costs of publishing, of printing and binding and shipping are going up all the time, especially as print as a medium recedes in favor of digital across all strata of the world, and especially on monstrous books like the Omnibuses.

So it’s the difference between whenever we put out the first volume and now. It is also likely the difference between a Volume 1 and a Volume 2, which is simply not going to perform as well. If you want the material in this format, then this is the price that it all works out to that allows us to publish it that way. If not, then there are other ways to get it—hardcovers and softcovers and digital.

Interesting... but how can this begin to address the inconsistency of books being published the same year, with equal or more pages, at the $99 price?
    Because Breevort appears to me to have a level of contempt for the fans I've not witnessed before from any other representative of a comic company. I try to avoid reading or listening to anything he has to say because eventually it turns arguementative or smug or obnoxious. If I were running that show and one of my employees interacted with the public like he does at times, someone would be having a conversation with HR. Also as pointed out above, many of his explanations are riddled with inconsistencies.
    "Cyclops was RIGHT!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noble View Post
    I don't see how this justifies a 25% price increase for only 32 extra pages? Seems to me like the complete lack of any price between 2.99 and 3.99 on a floppy, they charge it because they can.
    It doesn't. Brevoort is full of $%^#
    Increased "publishing costs" are tied to rising costs in paper and the paper industry has calmed the heck down in recent years in regards to raising its prices. Further, if he was telling the truth (he's not), do you actually think Marvel would drop the price tag if the "publishing costs" declined? Yeah, didn't think so.

Marvel is just trying to make a buck. I get that. It's business and they've got experts analyzing the market and trying to figure out how much they can charge and still keep customers. It's just unfortunate that they've got people like Brevoort out their pissing on your head and telling you that it's raining.

That said, I'm going to get the second volume because I know that at least one of the big three online stores will have it for 50 percent off, and I've never read it. That said there are other books I have read that I would normally re-read but because of the increasing prices, I'm going to pass.

Here's my picks:
    - Alias Omnibus Reprint
    - FF by Hickman Vol. 2 - Fantastic Four #600-601 & 605.1. FF 6-23
    - Original Sin - #1-8 and Original Sins #1-5
    - Thor, God of Thunder Vol. 1 - #1-11

There were five other books that kept me on the fence, but the price increase helped me make up my mind.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

From Tom Brevoort's Tumblr:

Q: What's up with the pricing of Hickman's second FF omnibus? Compared to vol. 1, a price increase of $25 for 32 pages? Surely you understand how this could LOOK like Marvel is capriciously taking advantage of those who have already purchased vol. 1.

A: Our pricing is hardly capricious. The costs of publishing, of printing and binding and shipping are going up all the time, especially as print as a medium recedes in favor of digital across all strata of the world, and especially on monstrous books like the Omnibuses.

So it’s the difference between whenever we put out the first volume and now. It is also likely the difference between a Volume 1 and a Volume 2, which is simply not going to perform as well. If you want the material in this format, then this is the price that it all works out to that allows us to publish it that way. If not, then there are other ways to get it—hardcovers and softcovers and digital.

Interesting... but how can this begin to address the inconsistency of books being published the same year, with equal or more pages, at the $99 price?
    This just cements my conviction that Mr. Brevoort is not the best person for explaining the mechanisms behind Omnibus pricing.

I'm willing to believe that "the numbers" suggest $125 as a healthy, profitable price for Hickman FF 2, however, it seems Marvel has failed to consider the consumer psychology here when the second of two equally-sized volumes is unexpectedly jacked up in price. To any objective person that clearly looks like taking advantage of your customers. If their numbers give them any wiggle room, surely it is preferable to keep vol. 2 at the same price and hope to sell almost as many copies as vol. 1. A reasonable expectation, given the seamless nature of Hickman's run. Who would want vol. 1 and not 2? But at $125, we all know some people will wait for vol. 2 to hit clear-out, which is where I suspect it is heading. Maybe that is a lesson Marvel needs to learn.
    Absolutely, FF Hickman Vol. 2 Omnibus seems to be headed for the clearout at that price. I for one will be waiting for it to at least decrease to around £40 on the amazon.co.uk marketplace. I suspect it will not sell above 800 units in the first month. Similarly priced Spider-Man by Roger Stern shifted 1,135 copies (Diamond estimates), and that was in high demand. It will be interesting to see how many copies Annihilation Omnibus also priced at $125 will sell this month? Probably also not above 800, I'm waiting for that one also to drop in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    Maybe I'm naive or missing something, because I'm not a business person, but if they jack up the price of the 2nd FF omni, only those will buy it who already bought vol 1 (and not even all of them). New readers won't buy even vol 1 after this, because they know they will have to buy an expensive second volume too.
    I think if they kept the prices of the 2 books on the same level that would be more profitable for them in the end.
    I couldn't agree more.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Any of the new books showed up to pre-order yet? Primarily Thor OHC and Cable & Deadpool Omnibus, can't wait for those!
    Seems like everything but those two books lol i've been looking too!