Page 53 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657631031535531053 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I've been debating between the New Avengers Omnibus vs OHC for the series. I think I prefer OHC for ease of reading. Is there a reason that I should or shouldn't go one way or the other? I think with good deals on used OHC I can keep the costs about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I've been debating between the New Avengers Omnibus vs OHC for the series. I think I prefer OHC for ease of reading. Is there a reason that I should or shouldn't go one way or the other? I think with good deals on used OHC I can keep the costs about the same.
    Speaking for my location (Canada) the discounts I found for the Omnibus are better than tracking down the OHCs. So Price wise i'd say Omnibus. But if you want the complete series i'd say track down the OHC. There's no telling when/if there will be a New Avengers v2.

There are a few Volume 1 omnibus out there with no volume 2.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I'd tell you to read Hickman online at MDU and say screw Brovoort and his damn lies about pricing. It's not even costing Marvel $25 to print this omnibus...it probably won't cost them $10. If you buy the book before it hits the discount bins you're just encouraging them to continue with the cheapass paper and capricious price increases. Besides the story was mediocre for the most part.
    I will chime in and advise this as well. I am just waiting for clearance sales to get my omnibuses.

The thinner paper, change in hardcover design and higher prices have made me feel like a grumpy old man. Heck even the plastic that seals the new books feel cheap.

Now get off my lawn.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    The run is also now available in those Complete Collection trades which Marvel thinks is a substitute for an Omnibus(it's not)
    The Death of Captain America one is, since it's literally the omnibus in paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    I will chime in and advise this as well. I am just waiting for clearance sales to get my omnibuses.

The thinner paper, change in hardcover design and higher prices have made me feel like a grumpy old man. Heck even the plastic that seals the new books feel cheap.

Now get off my lawn.
    It's true that FF4 by Hickman was my first disappointment in terms of build quality with Marvel. Thin paper, cheap matte cover and problems at the spine (had to return and get another one from TOW). The worst I had was the complete collection journey into mystery by Gillen (extra creased, extra wavy thin paper), but it's a TPB, so I care a bit less.

FFv2 $125/$140 at 832 pages
    Cable and Deadpool $125/$140 at 1200?
    Marvel 75th Omnibus $99/$112 at 1000
    Inferno Prologue $99/$112 at 825 pages

Doesn't match up.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    The first two omnibuses are collected in three trades, all of which are still in print. So I would say not likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Could be a chance, the first Brubaker Cap Omni has been reprinted before. The run is also now available in those Complete Collection trades which Marvel thinks is a substitute for an Omnibus(it's not) so until those start going out of print the probability of an omnibus reprint is low.
    Thanks guys! Well, I guess I'll make do with these trades for now

some pics of annihilation for those who wanted them. i'd say the paper is similar to the recent uncanny x-men vol 2, but a bit more glossy, so not bad. i was worried is was going to be like the millar wolverine or infinity. i'm looking forward to reading this after flipping through. hopefully will find time next week. printed cover same as the dust jacket, has a white spine with black lettering:

formerly 'weeks'

formerly 'weeks'

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    This just cements my conviction that Mr. Brevoort is not the best person for explaining the mechanisms behind Omnibus pricing.
    Why? I'm not sure what else he could have said. He could just be plain honest I guess, and said "it is plain greed and we are trying to fleece our readers as much as we can". Or he could have pleaded ignorance saying he didn't know or not his choice, like we'd believe that. Or he could have just tell untruths like he did and blame publishing costs. I don't believe there is actually anything he could have said that would be classified by the readers as right. There is something he could have DONE however. Anything at all he could say that I can think of would either be disingenuous, dishonest, too bluntly truthful.

:P

They are as a company so out of touch.

Quote Originally Posted by kdjac0434 View Post
    I began with the omnibus and continued with the OHCs. In the end, I wish I went OHC for the whole run. The omnibus is a big one, so less convenient to read. OHCs are glued, but not too bad and with better paper stock. Also, after volume 1 it basically splits into two books, New & Mighty Avengers. And, to a lesser extent, Dark Avengers. And then there's the event books that heavily tie in. So it'll end up as a bunch of OHCs on your shelf anyway, if you pursue the whole story.

Incredible Member

So apparently there's going to be 2 more issues of Superior Spider-Man.. Maybe that's why we haven't gotten a Volume 3 solicited!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    So apparently there's going to be 2 more issues of Superior Spider-Man.. Maybe that's why we haven't gotten a Volume 3 solicited!
    Yep. That could be it, still thinking Omnibus is not too far away.

Damn I don't come for a few days and fishes all over!!!

for me it's most likely FF Hickman 2 (maybe wait for clearance), Xmen Prologue to Inferno and maybe Thor OHC since everyone is raving about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    Great news on that omni. This bodes well for the idea that we get an omni release to coinside with the blu ray/DVD releases. Although I would expect the DVD to see a September release so maybe I am talking S**T lol.

Hopy we will get a spidey omnibus for the new movies dvd release.
    The Cap omni is great news.

Unfortunately the November omnibus is still an unknown until the solicits come out. Pleasepleaseplease ASM Vol 3.
    Having just seen ASM2 I'm aching for an ASM vol 3 Omni.
    I mean I don't get it, like a Cap Winder Soldier reprint it was the perfect storm to release it. So yeah crossign fingers for the DVD.

Getting back to my point: Spider-Man is one of those books where trying to nail down evergreen arcs is tough. Spidey doesn't have a Dark Knight Returns or Year One. But by some strange luck his book has always been made up of back-to-back-to-back-to-back runs that split pretty well into omnibuses.
    Still Kraven's Last Hunt should be evergreen and the Death of the Stacys is basically Killing Joke/Death in the Family.
    Sidenote I could totally see the JMS 9/11 issue in the 75th anniversary Omni.

Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Actually, I'm French! But yeah I live in California, so I get your point. When I arrived in USA a few years ago, I bought so much of everything, because coming from Europe, everything seemed so cheap. The honeymoon is over though, I watch what I buy now...
    Cocorico! I'm in Houston
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

Amazing Member

Just ordered the Annihilation omnibus as a gift for my cousin. First time ordering from CGN.
    Dan Ketch > Johnny Blaze