Page 57 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061671071575571057 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Anyone with words of advice on the Golden Age Captain America omnibus? The IST deal is tempting but I'm not sure how much "re-readability" something like this would have. I have a lot of the Silver Age omnibuses (FF, IM, Avengers, CA, SM, Hulk), although I've only read FF, Avengers, and SM. Also have the first 3 Nick Fury MMW that I love. I have a couple of DC "Golden Age" titles like their Batman Archives and Superman omnibus if there's any comparison there as well.

I'm already assuming that it's a sewn binding with plain black covers with the stamped title and thinner paper, so those aren't really factors in the decision right now.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Premiere Editions are just what Marvel calls initial-release hardcovers of recent series. They are not oversized. Recently they've had wrapped soft-touch covers with art printed directly on them, and lightweight glossy paper stock. Prior to Marvel Now they always had dust jackets (with very isolated exceptions) and a slightly heavier paperstock. Their quality is okay. People tend to be annoyed with the gutter loss for issues with full-page spreads.

By contrast, a Premiere Classic was a reprint of a storyline or series of issues - usually 4-12 - and had a standard black-dustjacket w/metallic embossing. It was Marvel's go-to line for one-off reprints of isolated storylines and classic mini-series until it ended a couple of years ago. I found the build-quality to be consistent, but the color restoration of older material wasn't always great.
    Awesome, thanks for the response.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Here's a broad question for you, my fellow collectors:

When will you be satisfied?

I know, it's a bit open ended. Here are some sample responses:

"Never - I'll always want more books!"
    "I'm just keeping up with XYZ format, and will keep buying those until the quality/content/price changes drastically."
    "When I have a complete run of XYZ series/character/creator in ABC format."
    "When I have XYZ years of comics I read/always-wanted-to-read collected."
    "When XYZ shelf/rooms/houses are filled."

et cetera

I'll wait to see a few responses before sharing my thoughts.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Fantastic Member The_Dark_Knight's Avatar

Any precedence for something akin to the Inferno Prologue precipitating a reprint of the Inferno hardcover? Missed that before and I fear without it my OHC Claremont run will never be complete.

Speaking of OOP Claremont, anyone think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Captain Britain Omni will get a reprint? Anyone seen it for a reasonable price somewhere?

"I'm just keeping up with XYZ format, and will keep buying those until the quality/content/price changes drastically."

et cetera

I love reading new stories, so I'm constantly satisfied and then need to be satiated. I love reading new books and read everything I get. But there are a few holy grails that I'm waiting for.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Any precedence for something akin to the Inferno Prologue precipitating a reprint of the Inferno hardcover? Missed that before and I fear without it my OHC Claremont run will never be complete.

Speaking of OOP Claremont, anyone think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Captain Britain Omni will get a reprint? Anyone seen it for a reasonable price somewhere?
    I think inferno is more likely than Cap. But Inferno was only printed five years ago (I think, anyone have an exact date?) and the Crossovers more recently. I think marvel may hit other events before reprinting Inferno. But who knows. If the new book sells really well marvel may consider a reprint.

this is pretty much my answer. it seems i'm always finding new stuff i want to check out, especially in european releases. and also wanting to get into more of the classic comics from the silver age and even earlier.

my reading seems to be like the hydra mantra, cut off one head and two more will grow in it's place. it seems everytime i read something it leads me to many more things...
    Last edited by James; 05-14-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    formerly 'weeks'

et cetera

As far as Marvel goes, I will be satisfied when all the 90s comics of my youth have been collected in any color format. Tpb, OHC, Omnibus etc doesn't really matter - I just want the material out there. Ghost Rider vol. 3, Punisher vol. 2 and 3 and WJ/WZ, Sleepwalker, Darkhawk, all 2099 books, and the 90s output of the main titles.

et cetera

There are a number of runs I'd like to see collected and finished (or reprinted).
    That said, I think my fast response is that I'll be satisfied when I've read all my backlog and I'm at the point where I'm immediately reading the book that arrives on my doorstep.
    I've actually written down a reading order and it's very concerning. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get through it.
    Hell, I've got three books coming next week alone and then Cataclysm at the end of the month. And I haven't even flipped over the calendar to see what purchases await me next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    As far as Marvel goes, I will be satisfied when all the 90s comics of my youth have been collected in any color format. Tpb, OHC, Omnibus etc doesn't really matter - I just want the material out there. Ghost Rider vol. 3, Punisher vol. 2 and 3 and WJ/WZ, Sleepwalker, Darkhawk, all 2099 books, and the 90s output of the main titles.
    Yes! Sleepwalker and Darkhawk would be great!

Spectacular Member

et cetera

For me it is a mixture of some of these answers. I am collecting comic books since 25 - 30 years now. Always have and I guess, extrapolating from that, always will be to some degree. Seeing the decline in paper quality in recent years made me buy less and less Marvel books up to a point, where I bought none at all, although it is tempting sometimes, making me go for it. So first, it's the quality issue.

Second, when it comes to Marvel comics, I started to just concentrate on three major characters/groups, collecting evcerything only in HC, otherwise this would end in a financial disaster. I also made the cut to "before Marvel NOW", as issue one becomes very relevant at this point. Only exception I can think of would be Spider-Man (so there you have one of the characters), but so far there is no HC from that line.

Third is of course the completeness, as I tend to buy stuff that fits in the series, is in HC, before Marvel NOW and in good quality.

Doubtful for both. I think the high demand for Inferno right now is a result of all of the late Claremont X-Men OHCs around it still being pretty available, and Inferno is that gap right in the middle. You need it to complete the block. As the rest go OOP, likely soon for a few, it will then belong to an era of X-Men that was well collected once upon a time. If they were to reprint Inferno, then they would eventually have to reprint Fall Of The Mutants, then Claremont/Lee Omnibus Vol. 1, etc. I'm sure it's easier for Marvel to just let that OHC collected era slowly die out. I'm thankful they're even giving us the new book to fill some of the gaps that were still there. It wouldn't surprise me if the price eventually goes down a bit, once it has more OOP competition amongst the late-Claremont fan base.

As for Captain Britain, when the group of reprints were first announced, some guy from marvel, can't remember who, said they would decided which further reprints we would get based on how those sold, but not to expect any fringe titles. Captain Britain is a fringe title. The only exception so far is Alias, which is fringe, but getting a Netflix show.

et cetera

Never fully satisfied, since there will always be something I want. But bringing me as close as possible would be filling in the gap between Uncanny X-Men Vol. 2 and Mutant Massacre. And Onslaught as a giant omnibus.

And from DC, Absolute Golden Age. Also, an Absolute run of Preacher, similar to how they did Sandman.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    As for Captain Britain, when the group of reprints were first announced, some guy from marvel, can't remember who, said they would decided which further reprints we would get based on how those sold, but not to expect any fringe titles. Captain Britain is a fringe title. The only exception so far is Alias, which is fringe, but getting a Netflix show.
    The Captain Britain Omnibus will be a tough one to get hold of at a reasonable price. For a reprint to happen, the good Captain will need a film or TV show (not much chance of that) or at least a popular ongoing run.

Btw, there's not much Chris Claremont in the Omnibus, the predominant writers are Dave Thorpe, Alan Moore, Alan Davis and Jamie Delano. Claremont only wrote the New Mutants Annual #2 and X-Men Annual #11.

More books and more new stories! I don't care about characters, complete runs or whatever, give me good stories, I wanna read them all (preferably in an oversized hardcover of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Are you leaving off Disney Omnibus like the Muppets?.
    Good catch. Will add that one in.