Page 587 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 874875375775835845855865875885895905915976376871087 ... LastLast
Results 8,791 to 8,805 of 17378
    Fantastic Member

There's other stuff on Amazon (usually gathered by the people from masterworks forum in one handy thread), for example Deadpool Classic vol. 12: Deadpool Corps, which would confirm that vol. 11 is Gischler's Merc With a Mouth. Well, it was obvious from the subtitle, but not everybody believed it. I personally think this is weird branding, because those two books would make more sense to be put out as Deadpool by Gischler Complete Collection or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Jesus. Why on earth would they label that an omnibus? That thing is ridiculously small.
    Is there somewhere a definition of omnibus that says 'has to have X pages'?
    Last edited by Pete Wisdom; 12-10-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Incredible Member

Jesus. Why on earth would they label that an omnibus? That thing is ridiculously small.

omnibus
    [om-nuh-buhs, -buh s]
    noun, plural omnibuses or for 1, omnibusses.
    1. bus (def 1).
    2. a volume of reprinted works of a single author or of works related in interest or theme.
    adjective
    3. pertaining to, including, or dealing with numerous objects or items at once:
    an omnibus bill submitted to a legislature.

This is every issue of Young Avengers written and drawn by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. It fits the literal definition of an omnibus. This is why Devil Dinosaur is indeed an omnibus despite the complaints of some. Of course there are many other collected editions that also fit the dictionary definition of "omnibus" but are not labelled as such by Marvel. That's the choice Marvel makes. So not only does this book fit the literal definition of omnibus, it also fit's Marvel's labeling as it is an oversized hardcover with the word Omnibus stamped on it. So it's very much an omnibus by both standards.

Quote Originally Posted by csista View Post
    As far as I know, I'm only missing Ultimate FF Vol 4-6, Ultimate Power., and Ultimates Vol 1&2 in omnibus form. Everything else was standard HC only, I believe.
    Attachment 14202
    Attachment 14203
    Attachment 14204
    Thank you so much! Well, it looks like I'm far more advanced than I thought. Let's go hunting :-) Will have to wait a few weeks though, until we know what that mysterious "Ultimate Omibus 1" will be...so strange that one.
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

I agree. Devil Dinosaur, by the way, is even smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    omnibus
    [om-nuh-buhs, -buh s]
    noun, plural omnibuses or for 1, omnibusses.
    1. bus (def 1).
    2. a volume of reprinted works of a single author or of works related in interest or theme.
    adjective
    3. pertaining to, including, or dealing with numerous objects or items at once:
    an omnibus bill submitted to a legislature.

This is every issue of Young Avengers written and drawn by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. It fits the literal definition of an omnibus. This is why Devil Dinosaur is indeed an omnibus despite the complaints of some. Of course there are many other collected editions that also fit the dictionary definition of "omnibus" but are not labelled as such by Marvel. That's the choice Marvel makes. So not only does this book fit the literal definition of omnibus, it also fit's Marvel's labeling as it is an oversized hardcover with the word Omnibus stamped on it. So it's very much an omnibus by both standards.
    Yeah, you could make an argument that any Marvel collection, no matter what was collected, could be considered for the omnibus label.
    Last edited by TomSlick; 12-10-2014 at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    This new slew of announcements (nine months ahead of time!) just emphasizes to me that we're in a golden age of collections.

I picked up things in floppy like Power Man & Iron Fist and Rogue's short-lived series because I was sure they would never make it into collected form. At this point, all bets are off - heck, we're getting Super Villain Team-Up in color, Moon Knight & Deathlok complete collections, and WeirdWorld!

I might even hold off on binding DarkHawk and SleepWalker at this point.

Okay, maybe not
    Where is the announcement? Any idea what Moon Knight will be? I'm hoping for Huston's run and the Moench series to be continued in Epic form ASAP

Because the word "omnibus" doesn't have any page count attached to it. Definition - "a volume containing several novels or other items previously published separately."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sousa View Post
    Because the word "omnibus" doesn't have any page count attached to it. Definition - "a volume containing several novels or other items previously published separately."
    Clearly when it comes to marvel it should have a different meaning as most Omni are huge, whereas that one looks even smaller then the Original Sin event book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by No_Problem View Post
    - went nuts (I would never dream of spending so much in two books) and spent 160£ (inc shipping) for both Inferno and Fall of Mutants Omnibuses
    I saw this auction~~~~~~~!!!!!~
    I wouldn't say you were nuts as I might have spent that price for both books combined...

Clearly when it comes to marvel it should have a different meaning as most Omni are huge, whereas that one looks even smaller then the Original Sin event book!
    Yeah, it seems odd but not out of character for Marvel. Going by the dictionary definition doesn't make any sense because so many things could be called an omnibus that aren't. The Marvel definition of an omnibus is more narrow than the dictionary one but who knows what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    I saw this auction~~~~~~~!!!!!~
    I wouldn't say you were nuts as I might have spent that price for both books combined...

Fall of Mutants was on sale on cheap-comics some time ago.

Don't know how expensive is Inferno.

I would have preferred the YA Omni to just have a standard OHC. Then it could sit nice with the original YA and Childrens Crusade.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lvizzz View Post
    Fall of Mutants was on sale on cheap-comics some time ago.

Don't know how expensive is Inferno.
    £150++++++

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

The whole omnibus thing has always been broken anyway.

You have event OHC like inferno and fall of the mutants, but then you have event omnibus like infinity gauntlet and annihilation.

The only thing that seems to define an omnibus is Marvel's mood.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    More on Marvel's inconsistency (as if we needed more examples).

So, a few weeks ago I got a new copy of Original Sin for $30. Combined the book collects about 15 issues. Cover price is $75.
    Today, my Young Avengers omnibus arrives. I paid $25 for it. It, too, collects about 15 issues (a tad more actually). Cover price is $50.
    I haven't opened it yet, but I took a quick pic of it next to the Original Sin OHC.

So, Marvel this time around will charge less for an omnibus than an OHC, yet when the Hawkeye omnibus rolls around it's going to cost $100 and the two OHC each will cost $35 (combined $70).

Whatever.
    For me the most illuminating evidence of Marvel's inconsistency is Bendis' Daredevil.

The two omnibuses = $100 each for $200 total.
    The three Ultimate Collections = $35 each for $105 total.

Could be that the omnibuses are a very bad deal or that the trades are a very good deal. The funny part is that the UCs are the same size and cost as most Epic Collections, which are occasionally said to be a bad deal, while the omnibuses, particularly the second one, prove that Marvel has been price scummy for at least five years yet the omnibuses are one of the most requested reprints out there.

Unrelated: I saw this and thought of this board.

Last edited by CrazyOldHermit; 12-10-2014 at 12:50 PM.
    Miller was right.