Page 598 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 984985485885945955965975985996006016026086486981098 ... LastLast
Results 8,956 to 8,970 of 17378
    Spectacular Member

Default Just read the CAP Prem HC

I just finished the second Premier HC of the new Cap series by Remender yesterday which concluded the Castaway in Dimension Z storyline.
    First and foremost: it was ...barely...an ok read, nothing special, mostly fight scenes with some flashbacks, sometimes really stupid as it can possibly get, sometimes ok. The whole story seemed to be thought up in one weekend when Remender had a tough schedule to do other things besides writing this. At least that could be an excuse on his side. That said, some things really, I mean really, bothered me though:
    1.) Looking at the retail price of these two HCs, which is 24,95 $ for 5 stories each, making this a whopping retail price of 49,90 $.
    2.) Decompressed storytelling, most strongly in the last two issues, which could have been condensed in one story. Watching Cap run towards the great final confrontation, reading almost three times the same monolog over and over again. Something like "finish this once and for all..." in a more wordy manner´makes me think that this was definitly a book that could have been shorter by not hurting the story.
    3.) Brutality. Seeing limbs, hands and other body parts hanging there from the ceiling, multigenocide, cold blooded murder, hey... there is one for everyone in there, right? Cap almost get killed in action by various sadistic actions: * breaks his hand all by himself...what a hero...wow...I have to try that one day....not! *A spiked shield rammed into his back, ripping is back open almost completely from neck to hip, left there for everybody to see, while he is lying on the floor... * Blood flowing in gallons out of various bodyparts....and he still can go on is definitly not for children and come on. Sorry, this was totally unnecessairy and remembered me of the crap Aaron Wolverine story in the asylum. So this is a very big minus on Remender. Why put words in there at all? How about 30 pages of killing and sadistic experiements. We didn't had that one before.
    Who reads this stuff anyway? Kids right? I would definitly not (!!!) let my kid read this book. In retrospective the whole concept is build around brutality as the Dimension in which Cap is the castaway, is all about monsters and death and fighting. Go figure! One could think that this might be a lame excuse to show of which body parts get ripped more easily than others...But that would be to simple would it?!
    4.) Art. Romita Jr. can't draw kids constistently looking, I would go so far and say persons in general. In some panels Ian looks like a girl, then again as a boy as he should be. The monsters are mainly big jaws, with no big depth and surface work to them. In the fight scenes I sometimes looked at a panel for a minute to figure out what the artist tries to do there, sometimes giving up and move on. A very sketchy look at things, sloppy artwork sometimes. Where is Epting or Lee when you need them!!!!
    5.) Price again. I read the whole story in 3 hours straight, 1 1/2 hours for each book. Looking at the price this is so much over the line when looking at the retail price.

Which made me think to just drop the series, this is waaaaaay to expensive for the content presented.
    Last edited by Suriel; 12-16-2014 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Underside is a turd! I thought it was going to be great. I couldn't wait to put it back on Ebay.
    Sorry, had to chime in on that book.The rest weren't too bad.
    In the end I kept Civil War, Front Line and Spider-Man, and sold the rest.
    I really don't understand why that one has so much aftermarket value. That and X-Men are probably the two most skippable. Best way to describe it, is if there was ever a Civil War omnibus, everything from those two books would be relegated to a companion omnibus.

Just finished the complete run of Ultimates II and I frikkin' loved it. I have to admit, for a guy who loves DC more, I'm finding myself buying more and more Marvel collections.

I like the fact that the Marvel Universe doesn't have these way over-powered heroes like DC. I think this more evenly-spread universe it's slowly growing on me. And while DC has obviously produced its classics, I think this may be the reason why Marvel outsells them on a normal day.
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Suriel View Post
    5.) Price again. I read the whole story in 3 hours straight, 1 1/2 hours for each book. Looking at the price this is so much over the line when looking at the retail price.

Which made me think to just drop the series, this is waaaaaay to expensive for the content presented.
    I liked the story, and I am a fan of John Romita Jr.'s art, but I was able to get through both volumes within about 1 hour and a half, maybe 2 hours at a maximum. I would argue that kids don't really read these sorts of comics, although maybe there are some voices that disagree. I mean I would read adult-orientated Doctor Who novels as a kid, so who knows? Marvel's main series carries the most authenticity compared to a tie-in comic to a Disney XD show. But I see these as mostly the realm of teen fans (which I am) and adults who either grew up with it or got into it more recently.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

I just finished the second Premier HC of the new Cap series by Remender yesterday which concluded the Castaway in Dimension Z storyline.
    First and foremost: it was ...barely...an ok read, nothing special, mostly fight scenes with some flashbacks, sometimes really stupid as it can possibly get, sometimes ok. The whole story seemed to be thought up in one weekend when Remender had a tough schedule to do other things besides writing this. At least that could be an excuse on his side.
    I'm with you. The first three PHCs were by-far the worst of Marvel Now for me. It picked up after that.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I'm with you. The first three PHCs were by-far the worst of Marvel Now for me. It picked up after that.
    I got the Castaway from Dimension Z HCs from my local library and read through them quickly, as did Suriel. I agree, art was not my thing (but was as expected since JRJR). I get that the whole thing took YEARS on his side of the dimension, but it just didn't have that depth for me. And the big finale seemed forced, and felt like Remender just trying to shake things up and put his stamp on things, like new writers to a long title often do.

spoilers:

But really, having Sharon kill Cap's adopted son, thereby totally wrecking Steve & Sharon's relationship that has been built over years and hundreds of issues, just like that, felt rushed and sort of blah. And then Sharon sacrificing herself, i.e. "dying", again, felt rushed and contrived. Does Jet Black figure into future storylines? Does she develop a relationship with Falcon or something?
    end of spoilers

This storyline was so, I dunno, blah, that I didn't bother to read the stories after it. Should I? Krisis, you mention it gets better?
    This is definitely one of those I'm glad I tried it at my library before blindly buying it.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Marvel is recoloring/releasing the original Star Wars movie adaption in an OHC for those interested:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=57816

For those of us already getting the omnibuses, I don't see anything new about this release, other than some "modern" recoloring which I don't need.
    Maybe extras from Thomas/Chaykin in there? Again, not something I need. But for those who are not getting the omnibus but like the adaptions, this might be for you.
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    This storyline was so, I dunno, blah, that I didn't bother to read the stories after it. Should I? Krisis, you mention it gets better?
    This is definitely one of those I'm glad I tried it at my library before blindly buying it.
    I felt like the fourth Cap PHC with Dr. Mindbubble was solid, but that could have been because Remender was effectively back in his UXF storyteller mode there. Also, it was moving towards his thrust of Falcon stories, which clearly he's very invested in.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    I felt like the fourth Cap PHC with Dr. Mindbubble was solid, but that could have been because Remender was effectively back in his UXF storyteller mode there. Also, it was moving towards his thrust of Falcon stories, which clearly he's very invested in.
    I will give this a go until the fouth volume, because I simply bought them blindly until that volume and since then they were sitting on the shelf. I will see if it gets better up to that point. So far (end of volume 2), it had some bits and pieces that were interesting, but noting was fleshed out, the plot holes were big, and it was way too brutal and too often too brutal to be remotely convincing. Least to say, just seeing that constant fighting and cap taking even a notch more and more every time, then to stand up again, just to get smashed in the face after that was not entertaining and had no depth. Thats just dumb and hollow storytelling. The Cap that Brubaker wrote was so much more intelligent on different levels. There was a plan involved, there was suspense, there were cliffhangers in between (and I don't mean if a person gets killed or if cap kills someone by shooting him in the face), resolutions inbetween that cought you. All missing from the first arc. And sadly that overshadowed the whole thing for me.
    Last edited by Suriel; 12-16-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Fantastic Member

The march solicits are out. Here are the HCs:

ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST OMNIBUS HC
    Written by DAN ABNETT, ANDY LANNING, KEITH GIFFEN, CHRISTOS GAGE & JAVIER GRILLO-MARXUACH
    Penciled by SEAN CHEN, BRIAN DENHAM, WELLINTON ALVES, PAUL PELLETIER, MIKE PERKINS, TIMOTHY GREEN II, MIKE LILLY, KYLE HOTZ & TOM RANEY
    Cover by ALEKSI BRICLOT
    In the aftermath of the Annihilation War, a devastated galaxy struggles to rebuild. The Nova Corps is destroyed, leaving only Richard Rider. Who will rise to guard the galaxy from the threat of Ultron? When the Kree homeworld is invaded by the techno-organic Phalanx, Star-Lord must lead a ragtag team into battle behind enemy lines with a lineup that includes Mantis, Bug, Groot and Rocket Raccoon! Meanwhile, the new Quasar seeks a mysterious savior — and Nova and Gamora are taken over by the Phalanx! Who is the haunted loner called Wraith? Can the New Mutants’ Warlock free Nova? And what are Ultron and the Phalanx really after? Collecting NOVA (2007) #1-12 and ANNUAL #1, ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST PROLOGUE #1, ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST — STAR-LORD #1-4, ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST — QUASAR #1-4, ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST — WRAITH #1-4, ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST #1-6 and ANNIHILATION SAGA.
    872 PGS./Rated T+ …$125.00
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9270-1
    Trim size: oversized

AVENGERS: EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD PROSE NOVEL HC
    Written by DAN ABNETT
    Cover by JOHN CASSADAY
    Just in time for MARVEL’S AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON, it’s an all-new, original prose novel by the New York Times-bestselling author of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: ROCKET RACCOON AND GROOT — STEAL THE GALAXY! and GUARDIANS 3000! The Mighty Avengers face an array of their greatest foes — all at once! In Berlin, Captain America battles the forces of Hydra. In the Savage Land, Hawkeye and the Black Widow attempt to foil A.I.M. In Washington, Iron Man fights to stop Ultron. In Siberia, Thor takes on an entire army. And in Mangapore, Bruce Banner and Nick Fury battle the High Evolutionary! Only one thing is certain: This isn’t a coincidence. But what larger, deadlier threat lies behind these simultaneous attacks on Earth?
    304 PGS./No Rating …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9300-5

DEADPOOL BY POSEHN & DUGGAN VOL. 2 HC
    Written by GERRY DUGGAN & BRIAN POSEHN
    Penciled by SCOTT KOBLISH, DECLAN SHALVEY & MIKE HAWTHORNE
    Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY
    Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn’s hilarious, nonstop reinvention of the Merc With a Mouth continues! First, it’s a lost adventure from the groovy seventies as Deadpool hits the streets with Power Man and Iron Fist! Then, when Deadpool’s Weapon X past returns to haunt him, he recruits fellow Weapon Plus “alumni” Wolverine and Captain America! The reluctant team learns that Deadpool’s past has been weaponized, but can they unite to take down this new threat? And when S.H.I.E.L.D. stiffs Deadpool on a bill, he declares a one-man war on the agency and faces down Agent Phil Coulson on the Helicarrier! Plus: Take another trip back to the past as the Deadpool wreaks havoc on a cosmic level! Collecting DEADPOOL (2012) #13-25.
    296 PGS./Parental Advisory …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9792-8

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE FANTASTIC FOUR VOL. 17 HC
    Written by ROY THOMAS & LEN WEIN with BILL MANTLO, MARV WOLFMAN, GERRY CONWAY, JIM SHOOTER & ARCHIE GOODWIN
    Penciled by GEORGE PÉREZ with RON WILSON & SAL BUSCEMA
    Cover by JACK KIRBY
    The Fantastic Four continue their explorations into the impossible — when they confront none other than the Impossible Man! From a tale that rampages through the Marvel Bullpen and features the return of the Frightful Four, Impy will both torment and team up with our heroes in an attempt to make them a Fantastic Five! Then, Reed Richards is replaced by his evil Counter-Earth counterpart. It’s a saga so epic in scope that it pulls in Thundra, Tigra, the Mad Thinker and Annihilus — as Reed battles for his life in the heart of the Negative Zone! With little time to rest, our heroes must then battle through the Eliminator, Salem’s Seven, Klaw and the Molecule Man in a series of struggles so shocking that they may tear apart the FF forever! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #176-191.
    272 PGS./Rated T …$75
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9192-6
    MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE FANTASTIC FOUR VOL. 17 HC — VARIANT EDITION VOL. 220 (DM ONLY)
    272 PGS./Rated T …$75
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9193-3

MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD BOX SET SLIPCASE
    Get the complete legacy of Marvel’s SECRET WARS saga in this action-packed, eleven-volume box set! Featuring the original heroes-vs.-villains showdown on the Beyonder’s Battleworld, the big B’s journey to Earth and the line-wide crossover that ensued, Nick Fury’s highly hush-hush Secret War, and more! All the tie-ins, follow-ups and alternate takes — including a Spidey-centric look at the first Secret Wars, the wildest Thing adventure of all time, and a rematch of good and evil as a very different group get whisked to Battleworld! Plus: an entire volume full of all the special features we could find, as well as a poster showcasing Alex Ross’ sublime version of the iconic cover to SECRET WARS #1! This is one box set that goes above and Beyonder! Includes MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: TO BATTLEWORLD AND BACK PREMIERE HC, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS PREMIERE HC, THING: BATTLEWORLD PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 1 PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 2 PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 3 PREMIERE HC, SECRET WARS II VOL. 4 PREMIERE HC, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS AFTERMATH PREMIERE HC, SECRET WAR PREMIERE HC, BEYOND THE SECRET WARS PREMIERE HC, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BEHIND THE SCENES PREMIERE HC; POSTER.
    Rated T+ …$500.00
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9751-5

STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE OGN-HC
    Written by ROY THOMAS
    Penciled by HOWARD CHAYKIN
    Cover by ADI GRANOV
    The original comic adaptation of the greatest space-fantasy film of all is remastered for the modern age with all-new coloring by Chris Sotomayor! Weeks before George Lucas’ first STAR WARS film hit theatres, Marvel gave fans their first look at Luke Skywalker, boldly asking: “Will he save the galaxy, or destroy it?” You may know the answer, but that doesn’t spoil the fun of seeing STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE like never before…including scenes that never made the silver screen! When Princess Leia is taken prisoner, Luke, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 ride to the rescue and take on Darth Vader in his awesome Death Star. It’s six against a galaxy — one that’s far, far away and a long time ago! May the Force be with you, in the mighty Marvel manner! Collecting STAR WARS (1977) #1-6.
    128 PGS./Rated T …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9348-7

SUPERIOR IRON MAN VOL. 1: INFAMOUS PREMIERE HC
    Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Penciled by YILDIRAY ÇINAR
    Cover by MIKE CHOI
    How much would you pay for perfection? Beauty? Immortality? Tony Stark knows, and he’s ready to give it to you — but at a terrible price! The AXIS effect has changed Tony: He’s more stylish, more confident and more cunning than ever before. And he’s ready to lead San Francisco into the future — but the first step is to release Extremis upon the entire city! Daredevil isn’t down with Stark’s new vision of the future — but can the Man Without Fear lead the rebellion against the Superior Iron Man? How far will Tony go to keep the secret of his success private? As Tony’s actions become more questionable, who will conspire to take him down? Has his negligence bred monsters? And will those monsters destroy him? A bold new direction for the Armored Avenger begins! Collecting SUPERIOR IRON MAN #1-5.
    136 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9377-7
    Trim size: standard
    Last edited by Kalitarix; 12-16-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Fantastic Member

And some big TPBs:

DAMAGE CONTROL: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION TPB
    Written by DWAYNE MCDUFFIE
    Penciled by ERNIE COLON, KYLE BAKER & SALVA ESPIN
    Cover by
    Galactus ate your apartment building? Call Damage Control. The S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier crashed on your car? Call Damage Control. Aliens destroyed Manhattan…again? Call DAMAGE CONTROL! Meet the Marvel Universe’s No. 1 clean-up crew, the guys and gals with the bulldog badge who work tirelessly to put New York back together after every super-hero battle — from giant robots, to the devastation wreaked by the Acts of Vengeance, to the coming of the cosmic clean-freak Edifice Rex! Not disastrous enough? How about their biggest challenges to date: Dr. Doom’s unpaid bill and the aftermath of World War Hulk! Collecting DAMAGE CONTROL (1989A) #1-4, DAMAGE CONTROL (1989B) #1-4, DAMAGE CONTROL (1991) #1-4, WWH AFTERSMASH: DAMAGE CONTROL #1-3, and material from MARVEL AGE ANNUAL #4 and MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (1988) #19.
    376 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9790-4

DEADPOOL CLASSIC COMPANION TPB
    Written by FABIAN NICIEZA, TOM BREVOORT, MIKE KANTEROVICH, LARRY HAMA, ROB LIEFELD, ERIC STEPHENSON, JEPH LOEB, JOHN OSTRANDER, GLENN HERDLING, GREGORY WRIGHT, CHRISTOPHER GOLDEN, MARC ANDREYKO & MORE
    Penciled by PAT OLLIFFE, GERRY DECAIRE, BILL WYLIE, ROB LIEFELD, ADAM POLLINA, PASQUAL FERRY, SCOTT KOLINS, MIKE GUSTOVICH, ISAAC CORDOVA, BEN HERRERA, WALTER MCDANIEL & MORE
    Cover by WALTER McDANIEL
    Can’t get enough of the Merc with a Mouth? Well, have we got the book for you, collecting Deadpool’s incredibly hard-to-find early appearances — titanic team-ups, anthology antics and gratuitous guest-shots by the sassin’ assassin! From hanging with Marvel superstars Nomad and Silver Sable, to giving a much-needed sales boost to losers like Wolverine and the Avengers, the erstwhile Secret Defender (shhh!) and Hero For Hire (sweet Christmas!) sure gets around. Complete your Deadpool collection right here! Collecting NOMAD (1992) #4, SECRET DEFENDERS #15-17, WOLVERINE (1988) #88 and #154-155, X-FORCE (1991) #47 and #56, HEROES FOR HIRE (1997) #10-11 — plus material from AVENGERS (1963) #366, SILVER SABLE & THE WILD PACK #23 and #30, WOLVERINE ANNUAL ’95 and ’99, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS II #2, MARVEL COMICS PRESENTS (2007) #10 and BREAKING INTO COMICS THE MARVEL WAY #2.
    384 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9294-7

SKRULLS MUST DIE! — THE COMPLETE SKRULL KILL KREW TPB
    Written by GRANT MORRISON, MARK MILLAR, DAN SLOTT, CHRISTOS GAGE & ADAM FELBER
    Penciled by STEVE YEOWELL, STEFANO CASELLI, HARVEY TOLIBAO, STEVE KURTH, PAULO SIQUEIRA & MARK ROBINSON
    Cover by MARK BROOKS
    Remember those Skrulls that Reed Richards brainwashed into living out their lives as cows? Good thing nobody ever slaughtered those cattle for beef, right? Uh-oh. When Skrull meat enters the food chain, the maddest cow disease of all gives an unlucky few shape-changing powers, a fatal illness — and a thirst for vengeance. They may be dying, but they ain’t going down alone! From the minds of Grant Morrison and Mark Millar, the Skrull Kill Krew wages violent warfare on all pointy-eared, green aliens hiding on Earth! And when the Skrulls launch their Secret Invasion, the Krew’s bloody mission becomes more important than ever — but what happens when one of them starts to sympathize with their victims? Collecting SKRULL KILL KREW (1995) #1-5, AVENGERS: THE INITIATIVE #16-19, SKRULL KILL KREW (2009) #1-5 and material from DARK REIGN: NEW NATION #1.
    352 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9407-1

SPIDER-MAN: THE COMPLETE ALIEN COSTUME SAGA BOOK 2 TPB
    Written by CARY BURKETT, LOUISE SIMONSON, AL MILGROM, BILL MANTLO, TOM DEFALCO, BOB LAYTON & MORE
    Penciled by GREG LAROCQUE, BRET BLEVINS, AL MILGROM, HERB TRIMPE, KERRY GAMMILL, RON FRENZ, BOB LAYTON & MORE
    Cover by CHARLES VESS
    Spider-Man’s greatest fashion disaster continues! With his symbiotic black costume safely removed and imprisoned for study, Spidey re-dons the classic red-and-blues to battle fearsome foes including Hobgoblin, Silvermane and the Kingpin! And when the Black Cat whips him up a homemade version of his ebony ensemble, Spidey can embrace a modern look that only looks killer. But while Peter thinks he’s done with his rather clingy former suit, the sinister symbiote isn’t finished with him — and when it escapes and seeks out its former host, Spidey’s going to have to do some quick thinking in order to avoid becoming a permanent part of the alien duds! Guest-starring the Human Torch, Thor and the X-Men! Collecting MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #146-150, PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #96-100 and ANNUAL #4, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #259-263, and WEB OF SPIDER-MAN (1985) #1.
    504 PGS./Rated T …$44.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9003-5

STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION: THE EMPIRE VOL. 1 TPB
    Written by JOHN OSTRANDER, RANDY STRADLEY, HADEN BLACKMAN & ALEXANDER FREED
    Penciled by LUKE ROSS, DOUGLAS WHEATLEY, JIM HALL, CHRIS SCALF, MARCO CASTIELLO, ANDREA CHELLA & RICK LEONARDI
    Cover by LUKE ROSS
    Let the dark times begin! Marvel welcomes Star Wars to the Epic Collection program, with this first volume of a series focused on the years following STAR WARS: EPISODE III — REVENGE OF THE SITH! After the Clone Wars’ end, the Republic has fallen and Palpatine exerts his ruthless grip on his new Galactic Empire. Now, the few Jedi that remain must decide whether to hold true to their faith, or abandon it completely in the face of a brutal purge — one carried out by the new Dark Lord of the Sith: Darth Vader! Collecting STAR WARS: REPUBLIC #78-80, STAR WARS: PURGE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — SECONDS TO DIE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — THE HIDDEN BLADE #1, STAR WARS: PURGE — THE TYRANT’S FIST #1-2, STAR WARS: DARTH VADER AND THE LOST COMMAND #1-5 and STAR WARS: DARK TIMES #1-5.
    440 PGS./Rated T …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9398-2

WEIRDWORLD TPB
    Written by DOUG MOENCH
    Penciled by MIKE PLOOG, PAT BRODERICK & JOHN BUSCEMA
    Cover by DAVE COCKRUM
    Welcome to Weirdworld, a land of legend and lore! Meet Tyndall, a lost elf on a dangerous quest — to the heart of evil and beyond! One that will unite him with the beautiful Velanna, and forge an alliance for the ages. Together with grumpy dwarf Mud-Butt, these warriors of the shadow realm will brave the City of Seven Dark Delights, face the fallen god Darklens and meet the Dragonmaster of Klarn. But will they ever find their way home? From the mind of Doug Moench, and brought to life with incredible artwork by such talents as Mike Ploog and John Buscema, comes a far-out fantasy masterpiece in the mighty Marvel manner! Collecting material from MARVEL PREMIERE #38, MARVEL SUPER ACTION (1976) #1, MARVEL FANFARE (1982) #24-26, MARVEL SUPER SPECIAL #11-13, and EPIC ILLUSTRATED #9 and #11-13.
    312 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-6288-9

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    Marvel is recoloring/releasing the original Star Wars movie adaption in an OHC for those interested:
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=57816

For those of us already getting the omnibuses, I don't see anything new about this release, other than some "modern" recoloring which I don't need.
    Maybe extras from Thomas/Chaykin in there? Again, not something I need. But for those who are not getting the omnibus but like the adaptions, this might be for you.
    I am not that fond of recolorings. I didn't like the Batman Killing Joke in the modern coloring as well as the European Asterix ones or even worst the Weird Science ones of Gemstone Publishing. More than often they change the tone of what the inker wanted to express and what fits the story, the focussing in a scene can be damaged etc. I will stick to the originals, if I should buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalitarix View Post
    SPIDER-MAN: THE COMPLETE ALIEN COSTUME SAGA BOOK 2 TPB
    Written by CARY BURKETT, LOUISE SIMONSON, AL MILGROM, BILL MANTLO, TOM DEFALCO, BOB LAYTON & MORE
    Penciled by GREG LAROCQUE, BRET BLEVINS, AL MILGROM, HERB TRIMPE, KERRY GAMMILL, RON FRENZ, BOB LAYTON & MORE
    Cover by CHARLES VESS
    Spider-Man’s greatest fashion disaster continues! With his symbiotic black costume safely removed and imprisoned for study, Spidey re-dons the classic red-and-blues to battle fearsome foes including Hobgoblin, Silvermane and the Kingpin! And when the Black Cat whips him up a homemade version of his ebony ensemble, Spidey can embrace a modern look that only looks killer. But while Peter thinks he’s done with his rather clingy former suit, the sinister symbiote isn’t finished with him — and when it escapes and seeks out its former host, Spidey’s going to have to do some quick thinking in order to avoid becoming a permanent part of the alien duds! Guest-starring the Human Torch, Thor and the X-Men! Collecting MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #146-150, PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN (1976) #96-100 and ANNUAL #4, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #259-263, and WEB OF SPIDER-MAN (1985) #1.
    504 PGS./Rated T …$44.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9003-5
    This one collects way less "Amazing" than I was expecting. It might take two more books to get ASM content that was not included in the Ghosts of the Past Epic.
    And of course I'm double-dipping

STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE OGN-HC
    Written by ROY THOMAS
    Penciled by HOWARD CHAYKIN
    Cover by ADI GRANOV
    The original comic adaptation of the greatest space-fantasy film of all is remastered for the modern age with all-new coloring by Chris Sotomayor! Weeks before George Lucas’ first STAR WARS film hit theatres, Marvel gave fans their first look at Luke Skywalker, boldly asking: “Will he save the galaxy, or destroy it?” You may know the answer, but that doesn’t spoil the fun of seeing STAR WARS: EPISODE IV — A NEW HOPE like never before…including scenes that never made the silver screen! When Princess Leia is taken prisoner, Luke, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 ride to the rescue and take on Darth Vader in his awesome Death Star. It’s six against a galaxy — one that’s far, far away and a long time ago! May the Force be with you, in the mighty Marvel manner! Collecting STAR WARS (1977) #1-6.
    128 PGS./Rated T …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9348-7
    I'm actually interested in seeing how this one comes up. Much more a fan of OHCs than Omnis these days.
    Last edited by JJ87; 12-16-2014 at 10:49 AM.

I am not that fond of recolorings. I didn't like the Batman Killing Joke in the modern coloring as well as the European Asterix ones or even worst the Weird Science ones of Gemstone Publishing. More than often they change the tone of what the inker wanted to express and what fits the story, the focussing in a scene can be damaged etc. I will stick to the originals, if I should buy them.
    I don't see what could possibly be wrong with the new Asterix colouring and lettering - if you talk the new oversized (ultimative) editions. Because that's mostly a huge upgrade. And I don't even think that what the old inker wanted to express is of too much relevance for old comics. Because at the time, let's face it, colouring was often "just a job that had to be done" not an art per se. They did quite a crappy job sometimes (or didn't have the tools) and that's the main reason (the other being bad printing jobs) that at least the old Asterix looks partly quite bad sometimes...Asterix and the goths is a very nice example where the new coloring is way better than the old one (that's just my opinion). Ok, that's a bit off topic but I just wanted to express that I don't like the "new coloring is always bad" mentality. It's not. It's just different. Sometimes it's worse, sometimes not. Mostly "worse or better" is not even objective but personal taste. Maybe the new inker also wanted to express something :-)
    Reading: Batman by Morrison, Death note, Inhumans, Sleeper
    The plural of Omnibus is Omniboo

Fantastic Member

The march solicits are out. Here are the HCs:

SUPERIOR IRON MAN VOL. 1: INFAMOUS PREMIERE HC
    Written by TOM TAYLOR
    Penciled by YILDIRAY ÇINAR
    Cover by MIKE CHOI
    How much would you pay for perfection? Beauty? Immortality? Tony Stark knows, and he’s ready to give it to you — but at a terrible price! The AXIS effect has changed Tony: He’s more stylish, more confident and more cunning than ever before. And he’s ready to lead San Francisco into the future — but the first step is to release Extremis upon the entire city! Daredevil isn’t down with Stark’s new vision of the future — but can the Man Without Fear lead the rebellion against the Superior Iron Man? How far will Tony go to keep the secret of his success private? As Tony’s actions become more questionable, who will conspire to take him down? Has his negligence bred monsters? And will those monsters destroy him? A bold new direction for the Armored Avenger begins! Collecting SUPERIOR IRON MAN #1-5.
    136 PGS./Rated T+ …$24.99
    ISBN: 978-0-7851-9377-7
    Trim size: standard
    i know, it's not news, but 25$ for a standard-sized, 5-issue container, hardcover or not, is just crazy. not even talking about the mediocre, thin paper. i guess it's not even one hour of reading that goes into that, so who the hell, except for super-hardcore fans, are they targeting with those editions?