Page 60 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364701101605601060 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dadis View Post
    I know hos everyone's been saying never to buy anything less than "Like New" from amazon marketplace. When I saw an Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus listed at "very good" for £36+shipping I took the chance and ordered.

Today I received my copy and it was still sealed. Brand new! And the packaging was perfect. No dented corners. Just thought I'd share!Attachment 1875

Storefront was plumcircle books USA.
    Whoa. Déjà vu! I did the same thing a few pages back, but I got it from the American Plum Circle seller! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Just ordered Infinity Companion OHC and Captain America Lives Omnibus thru flubit.co.uk.

That's 8 Omnibuses and 4 OHCs this month, and still counting. The missus is going to skin me alive

Aren't hobbies supposed to be expensive, well some anyway?
    LOL you sound like me when I first got hooked into them. Boxes were arriving daily :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
    FYI (it's been bugging me for months on Omnibus' list) it's McFarlane
    I'll go one step further and say that it should read Amazing Spider-Man Michelinie McFarlane
    annnnnnd fixed

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    Here's a broad question for you, my fellow collectors:

When will you be satisfied?
    First, I've really enjoyed all of your responses to this question. It's interesting to know where the collecting impulse comes from for all of you. For some it's story, others character, and some just the idea of a cohesive universe of stories.

Here is my story of (dis?)satisfaction.

Four years ago this week had just read Civil War, the only other modern Marvel I had ever read being Whedon's Astonishing. I said to myself, "Well, I'm going to have room for a bookcase in my new house - I bet there's a way to own all of Uncanny X-Men in graphic novels. That would be so cool!"

Then I tried a simple search on Amazon to find said books, wound up with something like 62 tabs open trying to figure out what was collected where, and my Guide to Collecting X-Men was born.

I really thought I was going to be satisfied when I could say I had every X-Men comic (or, at least 99% of them), either in a book or as a backup floppy tucked away while I awaited new collections. I had a huge spreadsheet outlining every purchase it would take to get there. I was methodical.

I got there in the spring of 2012, but I wasn't satisfied. I was starting to catch up on Fantastic Four, and had starting buying other female-lead titles - things I had always wanted to read like the original run of Ms. Marvel. Then I had all of Fantastic Four, but started reading Bendis Avengers. Then I got every Marvel title ever headlined by a female character, but wanted to pick up modern Thor.

Eventually, I wound up with essentially all of Marvel from Civil War forward. From there, I really, really thought I would be satisfied to just keep up with major gap-filling releases like Infinity Gauntlet and Inferno Prelude.

Then Marvel announced Epic Collections - finally, the thing I was looking for four years ago for X-Men, but it's for over half a dozen titles I've never had the chance to read! Of course I'm going to pick up Thor. And maybe Iron Man. And, heck, at that point I should get Cap, too.

In short: I'm still not satisfied.

I'm not sure when I'll get there. I remember begging my mother to buy me Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics when I was 10 and reading it every night before bed, thinking, "Wow, I wish I could read all of these amazing stories."

I am very satisfied that I can.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

So Krisis, I'm curious how your backlog looks like. Am I right in thinking that nearly every poster on this forum has an incredible amount of books they need to get through?

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

I know, it's a bit open ended. Here are some sample responses:

"Never - I'll always want more books!"
    "I'm just keeping up with XYZ format, and will keep buying those until the quality/content/price changes drastically."
    "When I have a complete run of XYZ series/character/creator in ABC format."
    "When I have XYZ years of comics I read/always-wanted-to-read collected."
    "When XYZ shelf/rooms/houses are filled."

et cetera

I'll wait to see a few responses before sharing my thoughts.
    It's such a great question, and funnily enough I've been asking myself this question the last few weeks.

Basically, if I could read the whole of ASM in collected editions, then I would be happy.

When I started this 'getting into comics phase II' (about 7-8yrs ago), I only wanted to collect Spider-Man and a few other key titles.

After a while, I thought I'd try for as much x-men as I could get in Omnibus or OHC. Not that I've got any particular affection for the x-men, but you know, for completeness sake.

Basically, now things have got totally out of hand. With 60 + Marvel Omnibi and 12 DC Omnibi (and assorted OHC and TPB) I am totally running out of shelf space!

At least with the epics, I know I'll eventually get a whole run of ASM.

With my book buying habits at the moment, I feel good and bad at the same time.

You know what I mean.
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 05-15-2014 at 05:41 PM. Reason: To remove ambiguity.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    So Krisis, I'm curious how your backlog looks like. Am I right in thinking that nearly every poster on this forum has an incredible amount of books they need to get through?
    My backlog is massive.

Basically, my tact is:
    - Read all post-Marvel Now things as they arrive
    - Pick one character/team at a time and read them from Civil War through Marvel Now

Which, as you can see, leaves no room to read anything pre-2006! I think when I am through with my Civil War to present reads I'll finally be up for an "All X-Men, From The Start" run-through. However, Spider-Man is going to be a loooong catchup, so that's not going to be anytime soon.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

I know, it's a bit open ended. Here are some sample responses:

"Never - I'll always want more books!"
    "I'm just keeping up with XYZ format, and will keep buying those until the quality/content/price changes drastically."
    "When I have a complete run of XYZ series/character/creator in ABC format."
    "When I have XYZ years of comics I read/always-wanted-to-read collected."
    "When XYZ shelf/rooms/houses are filled."

et cetera

I'll wait to see a few responses before sharing my thoughts.
    There are only a handful of books I want to be satisfied but I'll keep getting books. Maybe that doesn't make sense. Nearly everything I get is a blind buy so it's hard to really pine for it when you don't know if it's any good but there are some books like Hickman FF vol 2 or Onslaught that I would really hope to get.

For a long time I mostly got OHCs that were NOT omnibuses and only if they were X-Men or events, with a few tpbs and PHCs thrown in. Which meant that my collection was mostly Ultimate X-Men some classic tpbs like Secret Wars.

Like many, Civil War changed that.

Once I discovered omnibuses and the larger world of OHCs my principle collection was collecting all X-Men OHCs. But the more you get into comics, the more familiar you become with what is going on with different books and different writers and you hear that so-and-so di a great run on "X" or "Y" character and you want to check it out.

Right now I have no method, but it's much more reserved then it used to be.

My emphasis is still Captain America, Marvel Events and X-men but Captain America is the only book I buy tpbs or PHCs for. Although, the Epic line has me collecting Stern's Avengers.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnd Slott has me in love with Spider-man so I collect all of those OHCs.

Wow this was a long post.

I have 109 collected editions in my backlog, totaling 38,500 pages. I also tend to re-read prior volumes of a series before reading the recently-released one (ie when Saga vol. 3 comes out I re-read vol. 1-2 first, etc).

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

First, I've really enjoyed all of your responses to this question. It's interesting to know where the collecting impulse comes from for all of you. For some it's story, others character, and some just the idea of a cohesive universe of stories.

Here is my story of (dis?)satisfaction.

Four years ago this week had just read Civil War, the only other modern Marvel I had ever read being Whedon's Astonishing. I said to myself, "Well, I'm going to have room for a bookcase in my new house - I bet there's a way to own all of Uncanny X-Men in graphic novels. That would be so cool!"

Then I tried a simple search on Amazon to find said books, wound up with something like 62 tabs open trying to figure out what was collected where, and my Guide to Collecting X-Men was born.

I really thought I was going to be satisfied when I could say I had every X-Men comic (or, at least 99% of them), either in a book or as a backup floppy tucked away while I awaited new collections. I had a huge spreadsheet outlining every purchase it would take to get there. I was methodical.

I got there in the spring of 2012, but I wasn't satisfied. I was starting to catch up on Fantastic Four, and had starting buying other female-lead titles - things I had always wanted to read like the original run of Ms. Marvel. Then I had all of Fantastic Four, but started reading Bendis Avengers. Then I got every Marvel title ever headlined by a female character, but wanted to pick up modern Thor.

Eventually, I wound up with essentially all of Marvel from Civil War forward. From there, I really, really thought I would be satisfied to just keep up with major gap-filling releases like Infinity Gauntlet and Inferno Prelude.

Then Marvel announced Epic Collections - finally, the thing I was looking for four years ago for X-Men, but it's for over half a dozen titles I've never had the chance to read! Of course I'm going to pick up Thor. And maybe Iron Man. And, heck, at that point I should get Cap, too.

In short: I'm still not satisfied.

I'm not sure when I'll get there. I remember begging my mother to buy me Marvel: Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics when I was 10 and reading it every night before bed, thinking, "Wow, I wish I could read all of these amazing stories."

I am very satisfied that I can.
    Krisis, you are an inspiration to us all.

When I was 8-10 yrs old I wanted to be Spider-Man (thwpp thwpp). This was around the late 70's, when Gwen Stacy died (sob!).
    Since then, I've tried to collect the whole run (you know, when I could be bothered).

You are clearly, fundamentally, an x-fan.

What is it about the x-men that you find so magnetic (if you see what I mean).

P.S. Superior Spider-Man was great/ surprisingly good. Just go straight there.
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 05-15-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Question

These just landed:

Attachment 1772

May I ask where you got this stack from?
    it's all in the reflexes

I've got Uncanny X-Force(reading), Sleeper Omnibus, Infinty OHC, Thor GoT v3, Wonder Woman v4, Colossal Conan, Fantastic Four by Hickman Omnibus, 100 bullets v5, Incognito Deluxe, Fatale Deluxe and Fear Agent v2. A pretty nice diverse amount of reads with some Blacksad on the way as I just finished the first OHC. I have read all these before, some in trades or PHCs which I sold off so I'm just waiting till I feel like reading them, Sleeper and Hickman FF being major ones. However some of them I want to read the whole preceeding series, for example 100 Bullets, since Volume v5 completes the series. I also will read the prelude issues to Infinty too. And probably Fear Agent v1 before v2. So there is a fair bit of reading there but not an overwhelming backlog.

Good problem to have.

suprememath

Anyone have the Exiles complete collections? looking at getting them from up until the Claremont run because those are some of my favorite books ever..

hahaha I was thinking about this yesterday myself, I just had a massive pile of Deluxe Editions arrive and on Goodreads my 'to read' pile has now reached 74 books. so many books, not enough hours in a day!

I got my Annihilation omnibus today.
    It's small. Well, smaller than the book it's sitting beside (Avengers: The Crossing)
    The paper is incredibly thin. Same weight as Uncanny X-Force Omnibus.
    White Spine. I now have three omnibus with White Spines. I don't mind it but a part of me wishes all my omnibus volumes were the white text on black like all the classic books. I have a full shelf where my omnibus spines are uniform and then a full shelf where the spines are unique.

I don't know why I feel let down by it, but I do. And I kinda wish the back cover was the front cover. God, I love that Thanos/Drax confrontation picture. I love reading omnibuses and I love the event so maybe giving it a read will make me feel better about it.