Page 66 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970761161665661066 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frogtown View Post
    Finished up reading the Annihilation omnibus last night for the first time.

Annihilation is immense! I'm working my way through it myself this week and it is an absolute joy. Having recently fallen in love with Kev Walkers art in Arena and Undercover I was pleasantly surprised to see he was the artist for the Nova mini.

Art was really solid throughout with exception of the Super Skrull mini which was kinda jarring. Loved Jorge Lucas' art in the Ronan arc.

Gabriele Dell'Otto's covers were gorgeous.
    Last edited by Frogtown; 05-17-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The Punisher/Daredevil was done by Adi Granov. What you see is 2 parts of a 3-part connecting variant:

All 3 issues are in the Daredevil Waid OHC Vol. 2 and Marco Checchetto is the "internal" artist for all 3 issues.
    Ahh thanks. Wish we could get an ongoing with some Adi Granov art.

Today is as at a store here that I never go to (across the city) and I would up getting my hands on four OHCs I've kept an eye out for.

Astonishing X-Men (Whedon and Cassaday) OHCs 1 and 2
    Necrosha
    Deadpool v1

So I'm pretty happy.

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Paging my Hulk fanatics: Is it worth it to pick up Fall of the Hulks and World War Hulks in oversized editions to get all of the material in two volumes? Or, is some of that ancillary material not any good?

I'm not going to have a Hulk OHC run on the bookshelf because I am not shelling out for Planet Hulk and I don't like WWH that much, but those two volumes collect enough other material that they seem worth having.

Also, I missed this a couple of pages back:

Quote Originally Posted by Cerd the nerd View Post
    You are clearly, fundamentally, an x-fan.

What is it about the x-men that you find so magnetic (if you see what I mean).

P.S. Superior Spider-Man was great/ surprisingly good. Just go straight there.
    You know, it's hard to say why X-Men clicked with me so much. I had read a few Spider-Man and Captain America comics in the 1980s and thought they were cool. Yet, I have a completely vivid memory of standing in a mall bookstore next to a comic spinner in fall of 1990, spotting the cover of X-Men, Vol. 2 #3, and thinking it was the coolest thing I had ever seen.

That was two years prior to the cartoon and the arcade game, so I don't think I could have known who the X-Men were. They had a Nintendo game, I knew Iceman from the Spider-Man cartoon, and I had Wolverine's Secret Wars toy, but that's really the only exposure I had.

I bought it with my meagre spending-money and read it that night. I was sucked in by the drama, by Jim Lee's art, and by the fact that Magneto wasn't really 100% a villain. Then, I visited a local comic store and I picked up Uncanny X-Men #281, and the rest is history! Over time I came to appreciate the civil rights analogies, but I first I just loved the drama, the family, the strong female characters, and the long-term coherence of the plotting.

As for Spider-Man, I actually did take a chance on Superior early in Marvel Now and was completely hooked, to the point that I went back and scored the entirely of the Slott run in HC on the cheap on eBay.
    Last edited by krisis; 05-17-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Planet Hulk OHC doesn't seem particularly expensive?

Just grabbed the Alan Moore Captain Britain omnibus got a good deal on the other 2 marvel put out recently and finally read them good reads. I am looking forward to see what Moore brings to the book.

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but jut a heads up that it looks like Secret Warriors Omnibus is out of print. Copies can still be found at decent prices, but they are going up. It's a great book.

Spectacular Member

Saw Hickman FF omnibus 2 and a new Captain America: Trial of Captain America omnibus on Amazon today. Both coming in the fall. Did we already know about those and I just missed it.

Whats in that Cap omnibus?
    trying to be nicer

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jay View Post
    Saw Hickman FF omnibus 2 and a new Captain America: Trial of Captain America omnibus on Amazon today. Both coming in the fall. Did we already know about those and I just missed it.

Everything is in the Hatchette.

Hey guys, what are your thoughts on the Untold Tales of Spider-man omnibus? Thanks.

Spectacular Member

I thought it was a overrated. I read it for the first time when it came out on omnibus---certainly not horrible, Busiek never is---but nothing to write home about either. Granted, I am almost never a fan of these untold tales types of stories.
    trying to be nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Frogtown View Post
    Finished up reading the Annihilation omnibus last night for the first time.
    It's pretty special and the only omnibus I feel like double dipping on just to get a sewn binding and have a backup.

It came out last week. Trial of Captain America is the 4th Brubaker Cap omnibus. Looks like it's mapped for one more volume after that

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Yeah, we talked about them several pages back

With regards to the Cap Omni, here you go:

Description: Bucky Barnes, the once and future Winter Soldier, took on the mantle of Captain America after Steve Rogers' seeming death. But now Steve is back, and the two Caps must decide which one of them will wield the shield! As the Grand Director, Baron Zemo and Sin make life difficult for the heroes, Steve settles into a new role as head of S.H.I.E.L.D. - and Bucky's secret past is exposed to the world! Now, Steve must race to keep Bucky from being swallowed up by a Russian gulag! But when tragedies strike and the Serpent Squad returns, will Steve have the strength to soldier on?
    COLLECTING:*CAPTAIN AMERICA: WHO WILL WIELD THE SHIELD? 1; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) 602-610; STEVE ROGERS: SUPER-SOLDIER 1-4; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) 611-619, 615.1; CAPTAIN AMERICA (2011) 1-10