Page 661 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 161561611651657658659660661662663664665671711761 ... LastLast
Results 9,901 to 9,915 of 17378
    Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    What??? Not crazy about the Star Wars tax? Hey, have a heart and help a corporation out, fella! Disney is down to its last three trillion dollars.
    Star Wars tax? What Star Wars tax? First of all, that makes no sense since 488 pages for $34.99 is right in line with the fairer of Marvel's prices. If you want to compare it to the Dark Horse releases then it would be a Marvel tax, but even then comparing it is stupid.

This book costs $.07 a page while Dark Horse's release of the same material was $.06 a page and Dark Horse's release wasn't as complete as this one. If the per page price was kept and it was released at 488 pages the cost would be $29.28, less than six dollars cheaper than Marvel's release. And Marvel's release is in the normal comic trim rather than the midget mass market trim DH uses. If you were to buy all of the stories in this volume in Dark Horse trades you would have to buy three omnibuses (11, 12 and 20) and all six trades of Star Wars Tales. Here the stories are collected in chronological order which is worth the extra $5.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    I'm a bit perplexed by this. As I understand it, all of that Star Wars material had been readily available (still is) in affordable, well-produced books by Dark Horse. Now the cover says "Marvel", will most likely have cheap paper and at the same time cost twice as much as the DH collections, and all of a sudden people become interested in that stuff. Boggles the mind.
    I'm guessing it's partly exposure. Marvel has a bigger reach and brand. Other than that there is a big difference in format. Any time I've seen a DH collection that size it is in the mini format. I can't stand that format and I know many other can't as well.

I'll be the first to admit I hadn't bothered to do the calculus of the Star Wars Tax, but the difference between $0.06 and $0.07 per page is more than a 16% increase in price per page. Additional evidence for a tax would be the $0.142 per page Star Wars omnibus out last week. And yet more evidence would be the statements I've read on other comic book sites that the Star Wars omnibus' boards (back and spine) are all black without printing not unlike a cheapy DC omnibus. On a $125 book with a skimpy 880-page pagecount, that just seems like highway robbery. Lucky thing I'm not a big Star Wars fan or else the sound of Mickeys's laughter and counting of coins would keep me up at night!

The only thing I liked out of the solicits was the Thor OHC vol. 2.
    I would get the Powers omnibus, but I've got the hardcovers and I"m fine with those.
    It's possible, but more than likely doubtful, but I also might get the Spider-Verse.

Marvel is really saving me some coin this year.

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I'll be the first to admit I hadn't bothered to do the calculus of the Star Wars Tax, but the difference between $0.06 and $0.07 per page is more than a 16% increase in price per page. Additional evidence for a tax would be the $0.142 per page Star Wars omnibus out last week. And yet more evidence would be the statements I've read on other comic book sites that the Star Wars omnibus' boards (back and spine) are all black without printing not unlike a cheapy DC omnibus. On a $125 book with a skimpy 880-page pagecount, that just seems like highway robbery. Lucky thing I'm not a big Star Wars fan or else the sound of Mickeys's laughter and counting of coins would keep me up at night!
    A 16% increase isn't that much. In fact, the Marvel books are a little over 10% larger than the Dark Horse books. You could almost justify that whole increase with the increase in trim size.

Now the omnibus, thats a whole other story. Definite Star Wars tax there.
    Miller was right.

007 girl.

Does the Captain Britain Omnibus include Marvel Team-Up 65 & 66 (Spidey & Captain Britain) or the original UK comics which featured those stories? I'm not seeing them listed in the contents...which would be a sort of bummer since it's those two MTUs which introduced Brian Braddock to North American audiences.
    Last edited by ultimate jezebel; 01-19-2015 at 10:21 PM.
    Kings 21:23
    And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    Does the Captain Britain Omnibus include Marvel Team-Up 65 & 66 (Spidey & Captain Britain) or the original UK comics which featured those stories? I'm not seeing them listed in the contents...which would be a sort of bummer since it's those two MTUs which introduced Brian Braddock to North American audiences.
    No it does not. I was hoping it would collect the character from his origins onward, but on the flip side the Moore/Davis arc is amazing. This is one of my favorite omni's I own.
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate jezebel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewman View Post
    No it does not. I was hoping it would collect the character from his origins onward, but on the flip side the Moore/Davis arc is amazing. This is one of my favorite omni's I own.
    The reason that Marvel Team-Up #65-66 are not included in the Captain Britain Omnibus is that they are contained in the Captain Britain Vol. 2: Siege of Camelot OHC.

It would make no sense for them to be in the Omnibus as the events in the Marvel Team-Up take place much earlier and are rightfully included in the OHC. They actually take place between Super Spider-Man and Captain Britain #247 (Marvel UK 1977) and Black Knight #1, part of Incredible Hulk Weekly #1 (Marvel UK 1979) .

The Omnibus takes place some time later starting with Marvel Super Heroes #377 (Marvel UK 1979) where we see the start of the Jasper’s Warp storyline. This was the first story for Alan Davis who also started to redesign the Captain Britain costume. Alan Moore joined the comic 10 issues later. Most people attribute the storylines contained within the Omnibus to Moore, but really they are the fantastic combined efforts of Alan Davis, Alan Moore, Jamie Delano and Dave Thorpe.

For any Captain Britain fans or completists, I heartily recommend the 2 OHCs i.e. Captain Britain Vol. 1: Birth of a Legend and Captain Britain Vol. 2: Siege of Camelot. Both OHCs perfectly set out in chronological order the Captain Britain comics and his appearances in the Black Knight strips. Please note that the stories can be quite cheesy and not of the best quality and some are presented in the original format i.e. b/w. However, the quality of the OHCS is first rate with a ton of additional stuff.

For more information on how to read Captain Britain, check out crushingkrisis, a site set up by Krisis, a fellow thread member to those not in the know.

The cover to the X-Men/Avengers: Onslaught Omnibus:

The cover to the Powers Omnibus Volume 1:

The cover to the Spider-Verse OHC:

Cover to Thor God of Thunder Vol. 2 OHC:

King-Size Kirby Slipcase HC:

That Onslaught Omnibus Everything that was bad about the 90s in one image haha.

I'm curious about the retooling they've done with the Powers Omnibus over the Definitive editions, sounds like they've made quite a few changes. Anyone read or heard anything about that?

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    The cover to the X-Men/Avengers: Onslaught Omnibus:

I don't understand why Marvel sometimes leave so much black space and white space on their graphic novel covers. I mean, extending the green background isn't exactly a difficult thing to do.
    Films blog / Books blog / Comics blog / Tumblr / Twitter / Flickr / Photobucket / Dailymotion / YouTube
    My BFI Film Academy short film Hold-Out
    Review column on Doctor Who fansite kasterborous.com
    CBR's LGBT Community

The complete estimated comic book sales figures for December 2014 are in (please note this list only details those comics sold to North American Comics Shops as reported by Diamond).

I’ve listed below the Marvel OHC/Omnibus/MMW’s as well as the larger TPB collections such as the Epic, Ultimate and Complete lines that made the list, detailing the position, title and est. sales (plus total reported est. sales).

11. Thanos: God Up There Listening HC - 2,670 (2,670.)
    27. Avengers Origin HC - 1,939 (4,100)
    53. Young Avengers By Gillen and McKelvie Omnibus HC - 1,500 (1,500)
    54. Wolverine Epic Collection Madripoor Nights - 1,486 (1,486)
    56. X-Men Epic Collection Children of Atom - 1,444 (1,444)
    64. John Buscema Silver Surfer Artist Ed HC (IDW) - 1,355 (1,355)
    67. Marvel Masterworks Mighty Thor HC Vol. 13 - 1,314 (1,314)
    76. Uncanny X-Force By Remender Complete Collection Vol. 2 - 1,175 (1,175)
    98. Captain America Trial of Captain America Omnibus HC - 966 (966)
    99. X-Men Road To Onslaught Vol. 3 - 953 (3,136)
    131. X-Men Inferno Prologue HC - 756 (756)
    148. Invaders Classic Complete Collection Vol. 2 - 693 (2,410)
    181. Deadpool By Daniel Way Complete Collection Vol. 1 - 578 (12,521)
    197. Guardians of the Galaxy By Abnett and Lanning Complete Collection Vol. 1 - 537 (8,457)
    209. Marvel Firsts Vol. 3 1980s - 490 (490)
    219. Civil War HC - 468 (3,046)

Some observations:
    As per usual, new Thanos OHCs and OGNs continue to sell well.
    Pretty healthy figures for the Omnibuses, in particular Young Avengers, probably due to its price.
    It would seem that Marvel are clearing their warehouses and comic retailers have placed reorders (remainder copies?) of older OHCs such as Civil War and Avengers Origins to capitalise on the upcoming MCU movies. Civil War OHC is now OOP, so if anyone still wants it they should jump on it if they see it anywhere at a decent price.
    Last edited by Raffi Ol D'Arcy; 01-20-2015 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    That Onslaught Omnibus Everything that was bad about the 90s in one image haha.

I'm curious about the retooling they've done with the Powers Omnibus over the Definitive editions, sounds like they've made quite a few changes. Anyone read or heard anything about that?
    HA!
    I had the EXACT same thought as I scrolled on by.
    I am not okay with about 95% of 90s art.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

So, when do we find out if the Onslaught Omnibus will have a variant cover? Because I'm openly hating that two lined thing at the moment.