Page 706 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 206606656696702703704705706707708709710716756806 ... LastLast
Results 10,576 to 10,590 of 17378
    Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madman0223 View Post
    Hi! I've been stalking this thread for ages and enjoy the conversations. I've also let myself get inspired more than once here and bought some great collected editions.

I decided to join up because I've got a question that I think the people here might be able to answer. A while ago I bought an Age of Apocalypse omnibus after I saw how cheap it was. I already had the paperback collections, but couldn't let that omnibus stay in the online shop. I didn't open if for ages and ages. When I finally did open it, it turned out to be the wrong side up in the cover! It steal reads perfectly fine if you flip it upside down, so that's not a problem. There's also the dust jacket to prevent me from going insane. My question is: Do I keep this omnibus or do I sell it? If I decide to sell it, is it worth less than usual because of its unusual binding or is it perhaps one of those cases where it becomes worth more because it's a rare error?
    Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!
    I would say keep it. If you sold it you would probably get less than you would otherwise due to the defect. If the problem really bugs you you could have a bindery recase it rightside up
    Miller was right.

Spectacular Member Cerd the nerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madman0223 View Post
    Hi! I've been stalking this thread for ages and enjoy the conversations. I've also let myself get inspired more than once here and bought some great collected editions.

I decided to join up because I've got a question that I think the people here might be able to answer. A while ago I bought an Age of Apocalypse omnibus after I saw how cheap it was. I already had the paperback collections, but couldn't let that omnibus stay in the online shop. I didn't open if for ages and ages. When I finally did open it, it turned out to be the wrong side up in the cover! It steal reads perfectly fine if you flip it upside down, so that's not a problem. There's also the dust jacket to prevent me from going insane. My question is: Do I keep this omnibus or do I sell it? If I decide to sell it, is it worth less than usual because of its unusual binding or is it perhaps one of those cases where it becomes worth more because it's a rare error?
    Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!
    I've heard of this defect before but not often, which makes one think there aren't that many of them around.

Although it's rare it is still worth less than an omnibus without the defect, simply because collectors tend to be concerned about the condition of their omnibuses, and a binding defect counts as imperfect condition.

There is a Capatain Britain Omnibus that has been on Amazon marketplace UK for months now with one of the pages folded during the manufacturing process and that page caught into the binding.
    Although it is the lowest price nobody is biting, and one assumes that is because of the defect.
    Last edited by Cerd the nerd; 02-09-2015 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    Which do you all hypothesize is more likely (or which do we get first):

New Mutants omni
    Excalibur Omni

Seems to me another one of the X-spinoffs is about due for the treatment.
    I'd pre-order both !
    Captain Britain Omnibus is one of the funniest reads I had (in the Omnibus department) and New Mutants is a personal favourite since teenage!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    Interesting predictions. If X-Men Vol. 1 Omnibus is reprinted, the question is will they also reprint Vol. 2 which looks like it's now (only recently) gone OOP? Also, if Death of Captain America Omnibus gets a reprint, it's going to be mighty slim.

I do reckon that Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol. 2 will eventually get a reprint in preparation for a Vol. 3. That's money in Marvel's bank account already.
    I'm not sure what we can read (if anything) from recent omnibus goings-ons. Before, the overall thought was they would not reprint something if sister titles were OOP.
    Example, can't reprint FF1 when FF2 was OOP - hence they reprinted BOTH.

But using Brubaker's Cap as an example, we're getting 2 new omnibuses (1 already out, 1 coming soon) for the same run, and yet the 1st and "Death of" omnibuses are still OOP (and maybe now Cap Lives! is OOP as well? I dunno). Does this perhaps tell us that having earlier volumes of a run OOP does not hinder future releases of the same run?

I agree that Spidey vol. 2 reprint makes perfect sense. But using Thor as an example, maybe they would release vol. 3 of Thor without reprinting vol. 1? Just food for thought.
    I think in the above talk about the X-Men, vol. 1 reprint is probably among the next 5 or so on the reprint list, just by looking at the prices it goes for on the aftermarket regularly, there is obvious demand for it. But vol. 2 can still be found places reasonably priced, even if it is officially OOP now. So I would think that would be a scenario where they would reprint vol. 1 and not vol. 2. Of course, once vol. 1 is reprinted, the vol. 2 prices would suddenly skyrocket most likely, as those would then be in demand for everyone who didn't get it due to not being able to get vol. 1...

What a hobby we have...
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Water View Post
    I want a Silver Surfer omni reprinted.
    Me too, that one keeps eluding me
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    So I'm finally reading all of New X-Men: Academy X, and while I like it, I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the art style. Go Rockslide though, he's my favourite. For this 2000s I only really read a bit of X-Men, I had grown tired of the growing cast.
    Love this run so much. You get to Kyle/Yost yet?
    Cyclops was right

Spectacular Member

I've got a question for fans of Marvel cosmic and Thanos in particular. I'm trying to put together an efficient set of supplemental TPBs for my Infinity Gauntlet omni, with the dual purpose of providing a thorough background to the story and making it complete. The books I am currently targeting are as follows:

Avengers Vs. Thanos (Iron Man (1968) 55; Captain Marvel (1968) 25-33; Marvel Feature (1971) 12; Daredevil (1964) 105-107; Avengers (1963) 125; Warlock (1972) 9-11, 15; Avengers Annual (1967) 7; Marvel Two -In-One Annual 2; material from Logan 's Run 6)

Warlock by Jim Starlin: The Complete Collection (Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15, Avengers Annual 7, Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2)

Infinity Gauntlet Aftermath (Silver Surfer (1987) 60-66, Dr. Strange : Sorcerer Supreme 36, Warlock & the Infinity Watch 1-6, material from Silver Surfer Annual 5)

While the first two books contain a fair amount of duplication, some reviewers feel strongly that the Strange Tales issues as well as the additional Warlock issues (12-14) are essential to a more cohesive storyline. Does anyone know of another collected edition (or another more efficient combination of volumes) that incorporates all of this material, avoiding duplication, or is this the best that we can do for now? Any dissenting opinions? Is this Warlock collection more optional than I've been led to believe?

As for the Aftermath book, I've read here more than once that the omission of the Warlock & the Infinity Watch series from the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus was unfortunate, so I believe this would be all I'd need to tie up loose ends. Definitely open to any other suggestions on completing the epilogue, though. Thanks in advance for your responses!

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Warlock isn't optional, it's core reading. The parts collected in the Thanos vs Avengers are all part of ongoing storylines of Warlock so you'll feel lost and you'll miss some development around the soul gem concepts. Starlin's first cosmic saga (not all necessarily featuring Thanos, though almost all do) consists of 3 main parts and a few "tie in" issues here and there. The main parts are Captain Marvel (#25-34+Death of Captain Marvel), Warlock and Final Threat (Avengers Annual and Marvel Two-in-one annual). The problem is that it's not very easy to collect without double dipping. The A vs Thanos trade collects all of Captain Marvel except the parts that are in the Death of Captain Marvel trade, Final Threat, some issues of Warlock and a few of the non-essential "tie ins". Warlock collects the other Warlock issues and Final Threat. So if you want the entire saga you have to double dip on 6 issues (including 2 annuals so 8 issues). This wouldn't have been a problem if the Life and Death of Captain Marvel trade was still in print (collects all the necessary Captain Marvel issues) but right now it's going for very high prices so you're basically forced to double dip. It's why I really hope they make an omnibus out of the saga.

Note that not everything from the first Starlin cosmic saga comes back in Infinity Gauntlet and it would be best to say as story in itself and not a prologue to Infinity Gauntlet.

I can't comment on the Aftermath trade as I don't have it.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Warlock isn't optional, it's core reading. The parts collected in the Thanos vs Avengers are all part of ongoing storylines of Warlock so you'll feel lost and you'll miss some development around the soul gem concepts. Starlin's first cosmic saga (not all necessarily featuring Thanos, though almost all do) consists of 3 main parts and a few "tie in" issues here and there. The main parts are Captain Marvel (#25-34+Death of Captain Marvel), Warlock and Final Threat (Avengers Annual and Marvel Two-in-one annual). The problem is that it's not very easy to collect without double dipping. The A vs Thanos trade collects all of Captain Marvel except the parts that are in the Death of Captain Marvel trade, Final Threat, some issues of Warlock and a few of the non-essential "tie ins". Warlock collects the other Warlock issues and Final Threat. So if you want the entire saga you have to double dip on 6 issues (including 2 annuals so 8 issues). This wouldn't have been a problem if the Life and Death of Captain Marvel trade was still in print (collects all the necessary Captain Marvel issues) but right now it's going for very high prices so you're basically forced to double dip. It's why I really hope they make an omnibus out of the saga.

Note that not everything from the first Starlin cosmic saga comes back in Infinity Gauntlet and it would be best to say as story in itself and not a prologue to Infinity Gauntlet.

The Aftermath trade basically isn't required if you can find a back issue copy of Warlock and the Infinity Watch 1 (even 2-6 isnt really required reading to cap the IG story, but issues 1 really is because it deals directly with what Adam did next and actually ends the story, rather than just leaving it as Warlock with the gauntlet and stuff reset).

So very annoyed that isn't included but some crappy Spider-Man, Hulk and Cloak and Dagger single issues were!

Spectacular Member Squall Leonhart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post

I wouldn't go as far as saying you need to read all that stuff prior to IG. In fact, the avengers vs thanos TPB should be more than sufficient.

I find the IG material much stronger than any of the other stuff. Of course, I was born in '88. I heard about the warlock material and how highly touted it was, and I found it hard to get through actually.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

It's not needed for Infinity Gauntlet like I said at the end but if you want to experience the whole saga in all it's greatness you'd want the whole saga (and the Warlock issues in Avengers vs Thanos are pretty confusing standing alone). And yes it is a lot denser and more dated than Infinity Gauntlet but still very good.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

The Italians have a Warlock omnibus. Why the rest of us don't is a mystery to me

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    The Italians have a Warlock omnibus. Why the rest of us don't is a mystery to me
    Don't they also have a Strenko Omni of Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD? I envy that one as well(whomever has it if not the Italians).
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    maybe this will help:
    " Important" Characters To Debut In "Guardians Of The Galaxy 2" "
    (fingers crossed)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I'm not sure what we can read (if anything) from recent omnibus goings-ons. Before, the overall thought was they would not reprint something if sister titles were OOP.
    Example, can't reprint FF1 when FF2 was OOP - hence they reprinted BOTH.

But using Brubaker's Cap as an example, we're getting 2 new omnibuses (1 already out, 1 coming soon) for the same run, and yet the 1st and "Death of" omnibuses are still OOP (and maybe now Cap Lives! is OOP as well? I dunno). Does this perhaps tell us that having earlier volumes of a run OOP does not hinder future releases of the same run?

I agree that Spidey vol. 2 reprint makes perfect sense. But using Thor as an example, maybe they would release vol. 3 of Thor without reprinting vol. 1? Just food for thought.
    I think in the above talk about the X-Men, vol. 1 reprint is probably among the next 5 or so on the reprint list, just by looking at the prices it goes for on the aftermarket regularly, there is obvious demand for it. But vol. 2 can still be found places reasonably priced, even if it is officially OOP now. So I would think that would be a scenario where they would reprint vol. 1 and not vol. 2. Of course, once vol. 1 is reprinted, the vol. 2 prices would suddenly skyrocket most likely, as those would then be in demand for everyone who didn't get it due to not being able to get vol. 1...

What a hobby we have...
    Brubaker Cap can never really be relied on as predicting future norm because they aren't numbered.
    Because each book is "stand alone" this run really is an anomaly