Page 711 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 211611661701707708709710711712713714715721761811 ... LastLast
Results 10,651 to 10,665 of 17378
    X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post
    Speaking of masterworks, anyone know why Marvel canceled the softcover versions? It seems like nonsense to get rid of cheap and available versions of highly sought after books in favor of expensive OOP harcovers.

I'm not really a fan of softcovers, but the soft masterworks were pretty nice to read and handle. Plus, I love the new renderings of classic covers they had.
    In addition to Epics, they discussed the the softcovers were a way to do additional restoration of linework that hadn't been perfected on early Masterworks, but the TPB line had already exceeded the point where that was necessary.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Got some bookends. Not sure if I'm going to use them for civil war, but for now they'll work.

The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Got some bookends. Not sure if I'm going to use them for civil war, but for now they'll work.

that looks awesome. where did you get those?

That looks great. Starting to think Marvel lost a marketing opportunity for Civil War bookends - use Iron Man instead of Thor.

Quote Originally Posted by billabonghotrod View Post
    that looks awesome. where did you get those?
    Local comic shop. They are beautifully crafted by Gentle Giant LTD, who make some amazing things. The detail on both is amazing, great upon close inspection and hand painted. Quality was really what sold me on such nice pieces. That being said there were some flaws to overcome. The Mjolnir has a velvet pad where you press it against books, which keeps it from causing scratches, but the handle of the hammer has a real leather strap that probably extends a millimetre too far and if you were careless in placement it could press a big indent into books. The shield does not have a velvet pad because it can be faced on either side of the books. But the detail in the stand has rivets in the "metal" (actually polyresin) all along both sides with could cause a patter if pressed against books. To combat this I have a microfibre pad there and the books aren't all tight together.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    That looks great. Starting to think Marvel lost a marketing opportunity for Civil War bookends - use Iron Man instead of Thor.
    Yeah, to be honest I was tempted to get two Hammers and place all my Thor books between them, but I feel that one day my Thor OHCs could eclipse the shelf space up top, so I figured an avengers set would be good with both pieces. However, I have more avengers OHCs than anything except Wolverine books so I decided to go with an event(s). I started with Shadowland PHCs, Fear Itself PHCs and Siege OHCs all together, but frankly, while I like the events well enough (I'm easy) PHCs just didn't look "top shelf" so I ended with the Civil War OHCs which already make a nice set and fit well in the spot.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Ooh nice find Canucked. If you want you can sell the set for a really long time. I caved and bought a sideshow mjolnir this week.
    Action, ANXM, ASM, Aquaman, AatO, Avengers, Batgirl, Batman, B+R, Det, GA, GL, JL, JLD, JLU, Sinestro, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Thor

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by heatvision View Post
    Hmm.. That's moderately dreadful. I dislike the lack of structure when it comes to the epics.
    The Masterworks paperbacks were always doomed. By only releasing one per month and strictly following the original release schedule (which often had two volumes per month) it started a mile back from where the hardcovers were and fell further behind. There was a projected five year gap between the latest and the next Uncanny X-Men TPB, which is just insane. Even though the Epics have been slowed by the rapid expansion of the line we're still looking at one volume per line per year and the average volume is around twice the average size of a MMW.

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    When's the next Hachette catalogue due?

I'd like to know what we're getting for the tail end of the year
    The fall catalog tends to come around the end of April.

However, today Gormmu announced that Marvel's schedule with China is changing so Chinese books will be solicited four months in advance. So in this month's solicitations we'll get the September omnis and OHCs as well as the August ones, and I reckon we'll also get the Fall catalog a month earlier.

Funny, I find my Simonson Thor makes a good Thor bookend. It's built like a vending machine so it needs to tilt significantly before it falls on the idiot with his hand inside.
    Last edited by CrazyOldHermit; 02-13-2015 at 09:59 PM.
    Miller was right.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post

Funny, I find my Simonson Thor makes a good Thor bookend. It's built like a vending machine so it needs to tilt significantly before it falls on the idiot with his hand inside.
    Yep. I live in California and had to attach my copy to the wall with one of those wall mount brackets to protect my children in case of an earthquake.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Yep. I live in California and had to attach my copy to the wall with one of those wall mount brackets to protect my children in case of an earthquake.
    For your children's safety, I'm willing to take your copy off your hands

Incredible Member

Local comic shop. They are beautifully crafted by Gentle Giant LTD, who make some amazing things. The detail on both is amazing, great upon close inspection and hand painted. Quality was really what sold me on such nice pieces. That being said there were some flaws to overcome. The Mjolnir has a velvet pad where you press it against books, which keeps it from causing scratches, but the handle of the hammer has a real leather strap that probably extends a millimetre too far and if you were careless in placement it could press a big indent into books. The shield does not have a velvet pad because it can be faced on either side of the books. But the detail in the stand has rivets in the "metal" (actually polyresin) all along both sides with could cause a patter if pressed against books. To combat this I have a microfibre pad there and the books aren't all tight together.

Yeah, to be honest I was tempted to get two Hammers and place all my Thor books between them, but I feel that one day my Thor OHCs could eclipse the shelf space up top, so I figured an avengers set would be good with both pieces. However, I have more avengers OHCs than anything except Wolverine books so I decided to go with an event(s). I started with Shadowland PHCs, Fear Itself PHCs and Siege OHCs all together, but frankly, while I like the events well enough (I'm easy) PHCs just didn't look "top shelf" so I ended with the Civil War OHCs which already make a nice set and fit well in the spot.
    Nice! Now you can go ahead and send this fellow Canuck that Civil War Spiderman....

When's the next Hachette catalogue due?

I'd like to know what we're getting for the tail end of the year
    did I just bought your Hawkeye ohc on ebay?

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    did I just bought your Hawkeye ohc on ebay?
    Haha, yeah you did! You outbid a friend of mine who was in the same room as me!

He was not happy, but it was his own fault for trying to get it for a fiver when I offered it to him for £8 earlier in the week!

Thanks for grabbing it, it'll be posted out Monday
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post

The fall catalog tends to come around the end of April.

However, today Gormmu announced that Marvel's schedule with China is changing so Chinese books will be solicited four months in advance. So in this month's solicitations we'll get the September omnis and OHCs as well as the August ones, and I reckon we'll also get the Fall catalog a month earlier.
    Thanks for the update, that is good news
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Haha, yeah you did! You outbid a friend of mine who was in the same room as me!

He was not happy, but it was his own fault for trying to get it for a fiver when I offered it to him for £8 earlier in the week!

Thanks for grabbing it, it'll be posted out Monday
    nice I kinda feel bad but at the same time I'm just happy that I grabbed it for so cheap

BANNED

Heartwarming eBay story!

Balakin, do you go to the black hole?