Page 812 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 312712762802808809810811812813814815816822862912 ... LastLast
Results 12,166 to 12,180 of 17378

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Thats definitely a major concern. When the first six lines were announced we were looking at complete ASM, FF, etc in just 10 years. Marvel really needs to up the release schedule. They've already bumped it up slightly by doubling up a few months this year but one volume per line per year is just not enough. The biggest concern isn't if the Epics will be around in 20 years, it's if physical books in general will be around in 20 years.
    There will be only comic books

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    What should/could be the first MMW series to hit a volume 20? ASM or FF? Thor is in the low teens right?
    That would be FF as Vol. 17 has been solicited. ASM (Vol. 16 released last year) would be next, followed by Avengers (Vol. 15 solicited) and then Thor (Vol. 14 solicited).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Thats definitely a major concern. When the first six lines were announced we were looking at complete ASM, FF, etc in just 10 years. Marvel really needs to up the release schedule. They've already bumped it up slightly by doubling up a few months this year but one volume per line per year is just not enough. The biggest concern isn't if the Epics will be around in 20 years, it's if physical books in general will be around in 20 years.
    Physical books will be around, but I think in increasingly in three forms:

1. Deluxe special editions of books. Both for prose and for comic books. Premium items that collectors will want to put on their shelves. Though they're pretty reasonably priced, I think the faux-leather cover BN prose collections are an indication of this. I've also noticed Powells Books offering limited edition special slipcased hardcover books that are usually signed by the author. I think stuff like this will be more of a norm for popular or critically acclaimed books in the future. Everything in between will just be digital. And with comics, hopefully they'll be oversized, which is one thing you still can't reliably get on a tablet (though in 20 years perhaps we'll have Adamantium/Vibranium/Platinum edition sized tablets that weigh a few ounces.)

2. Cheap books printed very cheaply (quality wise), probably mostly in the prose realm. Basically mass market paperbacks. You might have a smaller selection than today, but if print on demand technology picks up, there could be more options.

I think the days of "Hardcover $30 prose books --> Slightly less expensive paperbacks --> Mass market paperbacks" are fading. The literary world will have to rethink their profit structure.

3. Children's board books. Children are increasingly using tablets more and more and I'm sure that will continue over the next 20 years, but I believe I jut read a thing that said childrens book sales have increased as of late. And there's only so much time during the day that children (and adults) should be staring at screens and western society in general has way overdone it. Not everyone will have an e-ink tablet (to reduce eye strain), even in 20 years. Childrens screen time should be pretty limited especially when they're very young, so I have no doubt board books and childrens books will still be in demand and printed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    What should/could be the first MMW series to hit a volume 20? ASM or FF? Thor is in the low teens right?
    Spider-Man Round Robin Epic Collection Vol 22 was just released last week.

Fantastic Four Into the Timestream Epic Vol 20 was released last fall.

Fantastic Four Strange Days Epic Vol 25 is tentatively scheduled for release this summer.

Daredevil Widow's Kiss Epic Vol 21 is tentatively scheduled for release this summer.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see you're asking about MMWs instead of Epics.

Quote Originally Posted by kodave View Post
    Physical books will be around, but I think in increasingly in three forms:

1. Deluxe special editions of books. Both for prose and for comic books. Premium items that collectors will want to put on their shelves. Though they're pretty reasonably priced, I think the faux-leather cover BN prose collections are an indication of this. I've also noticed Powells Books offering limited edition special slipcased hardcover books that are usually signed by the author. I think stuff like this will be more of a norm for popular or critically acclaimed books in the future. Everything in between will just be digital. And with comics, hopefully they'll be oversized, which is one thing you still can't reliably get on a tablet (though in 20 years perhaps we'll have Adamantium/Vibranium/Platinum edition sized tablets that weigh a few ounces.)

2. Cheap books printed very cheaply (quality wise), probably mostly in the prose realm. Basically mass market paperbacks. You might have a smaller selection than today, but if print on demand technology picks up, there could be more options.

I think the days of "Hardcover $30 prose books --> Slightly less expensive paperbacks --> Mass market paperbacks" are fading. The literary world will have to rethink their profit structure.

3. Children's board books. Children are increasingly using tablets more and more and I'm sure that will continue over the next 20 years, but I believe I jut read a thing that said childrens book sales have increased as of late. And there's only so much time during the day that children (and adults) should be staring at screens and western society in general has way overdone it. Not everyone will have an e-ink tablet (to reduce eye strain), even in 20 years. Childrens screen time should be pretty limited especially when they're very young, so I have no doubt board books and childrens books will still be in demand and printed.
    You summarize it pretty well. Great input.
    "I'm not seeking penance for what I've done, Father. I'm asking for forgiveness... for what I'm about to do." -Matt Murdock

Click a link below and follow me ->
    YouTube Facebook Twitter Instagram photobucket MoviePilot

Quote Originally Posted by JP Sarri View Post
    You summarize it pretty well. Great input.
    granted 20 years is a pretty long time away, but I just don't see physical music, movies or books just plain disappearing. While I agree that the digital publishing arms of companies will continue to grow, and the 80% physical / 20% digital ratios (I just made that up) will probably be flipped, but in a medium like comics, it's a pretty physical thing. So long as Marvel/DC/Image/etc... are smart, know their audience, and therefore know their print runs, they can still make money. Examples would be the adjustments to omnibus runs of late (obviously there are some growing pains there, and anything X-related should get more copies than non-X material) or even the MMWs' themselves. They don't have huge print runs on those books, yet everyone of us who wants one can get one, so long as you preorder or get it as soon as it comes out. So they're doing something right. Perhaps the idea of an "evergreen" book has ran its course, though...
    "Boomerang arrow, Kate... It comes back to you in the end. Boomerang. Respect it." - Clint
    "Why the hell do you need an arrow that comes back to you after you shoot it, Clint?" - Kate
    "Because... Boomerangs." - Clint.

I know of the character, but apart from a brief cameo in the wolverine and the x-men omnibus I have just finished, I know nothing of Deadpool, but I am thinking of getting the Joe Kelly omnibus, is it any good? I have heard it is humorous, is it giffen and dematteis justice league funny or is it a bit more up to date?

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    granted 20 years is a pretty long time away, but I just don't see physical music, movies or books just plain disappearing. While I agree that the digital publishing arms of companies will continue to grow, and the 80% physical / 20% digital ratios (I just made that up) will probably be flipped, but in a medium like comics, it's a pretty physical thing. So long as Marvel/DC/Image/etc... are smart, know their audience, and therefore know their print runs, they can still make money. Examples would be the adjustments to omnibus runs of late (obviously there are some growing pains there, and anything X-related should get more copies than non-X material) or even the MMWs' themselves. They don't have huge print runs on those books, yet everyone of us who wants one can get one, so long as you preorder or get it as soon as it comes out. So they're doing something right. Perhaps the idea of an "evergreen" book has ran its course, though...
    I disagree with some of your points. I've been reading comics since I was 4 years old, and I am close to 40 now. I have seen the decline of the printed format and I would not be surprise of its total dismise at some point in the near future.

Companies are really smart and they know their audiences well. They are playing for keeps and they are seeing the big picture. Older generations like mine are more accustomed to physical books, but the new generation (the mayority of today's comicbook readers) are vastly more connected to their internet media devices. The rapid growth of streaming services like Comixology, IBooks, Amazon are big proof of that. Even publishers are turning towards their own digital service outlets to keep customers reeled in. There is no clear sign of this slowing down.

I for once have turned into digital comics wholeheartedly. I still buy hardcover books of highly praised collections but only as mere collectible items (it is an addiction I learned from my Dad). But on a daily basis, reading on my tablet and on my smartphone is the method of my choice. It allows me to read anything, anywhere and at any given time. The world is changing, so is the industry for good and bad.
    Last edited by JP Sarri; 04-02-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    "I'm not seeking penance for what I've done, Father. I'm asking for forgiveness... for what I'm about to do." -Matt Murdock

Click a link below and follow me ->
    YouTube Facebook Twitter Instagram photobucket MoviePilot

Quote Originally Posted by Squall Leonhart View Post
    I don't remember it this way at all. I remember it going for $72+ on Amazon almost the entire time it was around. Same for other sites. I remember having to choose at the time between it and Claremont/Lee 2, and I chose just the latter for monetary reasons. I certainly don't recall it going for anything like 30 bucks!
    Yup. $30 bucks! In fact, I paid more for the Silver Age Avengers omnibus ($35), but less for Ghost Rider ($20) and Dark Avengers ($19), although the latter two have remainder marks. I also bought Inferno for $50, which I still feel like I way overpaid for at the time. (You can probably tell I'm not a very late 80/90s X-Men fan.)

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    *stares daggers at everyone who got AOA for ridiculous prices*
    Got it for 25 second cheapest omnibus I bought, got X-Force for 15 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    Um . . . They couldn't even give this turd of a book away for months. It had to be drastically reduced because no one wanted it. (I think I paid $30 for it at the time, and I admittedly made a nice profit months later.) It's only worth money now because it finally sold out. They are not going to reprint it.
    Yeah, you're right. Now that I think about it, I was on the fence about getting the AoA omni, then I finally got it when I saw it for $40.

Think I'll hold on to it until the movie's about to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    I know of the character, but apart from a brief cameo in the wolverine and the x-men omnibus I have just finished, I know nothing of Deadpool, but I am thinking of getting the Joe Kelly omnibus, is it any good? I have heard it is humorous, is it giffen and dematteis justice league funny or is it a bit more up to date?
    I liked deadpool merc with a mouth, wade wilson's war and deadpool max, but struggled to get through the Joe Kelly omni. So would suggest maybe trying one of those first. The kelly omni is dense, and not actually that funny in 2015. Not sure any are as funny as giffen and dematteis justice league - that is class in a glass no matter what year we are in

Quote Originally Posted by MrJed View Post
    I liked deadpool merc with a mouth, wade wilson's war and deadpool max, but struggled to get through the Joe Kelly omni. So would suggest maybe trying one of those first. The kelly omni is dense, and not actually that funny in 2015. Not sure any are as funny as giffen and dematteis justice league - that is class in a glass no matter what year we are in
    Cheers, will try the Max one as they have it on speedyhen for £15

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboydce View Post
    Cheers, will try the Max one as they have it on speedyhen for £15
    No don't try that one. I think it's pretty bad myself. I would try Cable & Deadpool which is pretty universally liked.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    No don't try that one. I think it's pretty bad myself. I would try Cable & Deadpool which is pretty universally liked.
    Oh man, are you correct on that Deadpool Max. A friend of mine pushed it on me. Horrible, horrible stuff.