Page 92 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 42828889909192939495961021421925921092 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 17378
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson2099 View Post
    Avengers Endless Wartime was very forgettable. I expected more from Warren Ellis and the art by Mike McKone was nothing special either. X-Men No More Humans by Mike Carey was better and fits right in with current X books. Carey wrote a story that brought all the X-Men together to solve a crisis and did it way better than any of the current X writers did with Battle of the Atom. Salvador Larroca Who I believe is one of the most dependable artists in the business did well here with multitude of characters in this story.
    Spider-Man Family Business is a wild story that is enjoyable, and the art is beautiful!

I couldn't finish Endless Wartime. Story and art stink. I have family business but have not read it.
    Co-host of Get Valiant, a Valiant Comics podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by actionjackson2099 View Post
    Avengers Endless Wartime was very forgettable. I expected more from Warren Ellis and the art by Mike McKone was nothing special either. X-Men No More Humans by Mike Carey was better and fits right in with current X books. Carey wrote a story that brought all the X-Men together to solve a crisis and did it way better than any of the current X writers did with Battle of the Atom. Salvador Larroca Who I believe is one of the most dependable artists in the business did well here with multitude of characters in this story.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm looking forward to Thanos: The Infinity Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by mzqamarul View Post
    My Uncanny X-Men vol. 2 & Uncanny X-force also just arrived from IST and gotta agree the packaging was superb. But the UXF has a slight dent on the front corners (defect & not from shipping). They promptly offered to take $20 off the book price or return for a new copy so i just accepted the price cut. Overall really satisfied with their service and will buy from them again (crossing my fingers for a mint Annihilation by next month).

Also just picked up X-Men Age of Apocalypse Omnibus from one of my LCS and planning to order the Companion to read with it. Are there any essential issues in the Companion that I should read first or just read AoA and Companion later?
    Check out a few pages back for in depth thoughts, but AoA is fine by itself. I find the companion to be purely supplimental. Except for a few issues, all of the companion was written after the AoA story was wrapped.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

I'm going to a comic convention in Belfast NI in a couple weeks. Being in such a relatively small location, you think it's likely there'll be any chance of picking up a few rare books, or at least some bargains. Never been to such an event before.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUserName12 View Post
    Read an article this morning about the Amazon vs Hachette battle going on. Looks like it's going to get worse before it gets any better.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...tw-share&_r=1&
    It's really shady, I love Amazon but this makes me hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    First few posts from the initial thread merge have been edited to form a cohesive read, and I've updated the future Omnibus release list in the first post. Yes I love underline and bold
    You sir, are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Spider-Fan View Post
    I recently won the Immortal Iron Fist omnibus in an eBay auction for $85 shipped. It arrived in the mail today, and while the overall condition of the book is near mint, there is the slightest amount of damage on the dust jacket (right next to Aja's name, see pic). Am I crazy that this really bothers me? Should I contact the seller? Is my OCD now so bad that I need to be institutionalized? Any opinions and advice are welcome.
    Attachment 2630
    It would annoy me slightly but I'd keep it. I'd just grab a black marker and cover it.
    "This cannot be...Is... Is it an omen?!"

X-Fan & Marvel Collector

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Does anyone have the new line of original graphic novels Marvel has been releasing for the past year?, there oversized but they rarely (if ever) get mentioned on here so I would love some perspective on the stories, art and the build of the books. It would be great if anyone has a pic of them next to some other Marvel ohc so I can judge how they look - sometimes I do think super skinny ohc look a little silly, but on the other hand I'm always moaning about not having enough shelf space lol.

If there a good read I'm planning on getting most of them, including the next Thanos one, although I admit to having zero interest in the one that's based on the Scandal show, I assume these aren't numbered so I can pick and choose which volumes to buy.
    I have all three of the 616 continuity books so far - Avengers Endless Wartime, Spider-Man Family Business, and X-Men No More Humans.

I enjoy the format. They're effectively a straight-to-oversize four-issue arc. The books have differed a little - Wartime's exterior was hyper-glossy, while Family was soft-touch. Also, there is no attempt to maintain a shelf-uniformity in the spines - they don't relate to Marvel Now or to each other.

As for the contents, I've found them all disappointing to different degrees. Despite throwing their best writers at the problem, I don't think Marvel and their writers have really figured out the formula to make these books feel weighty all on their own. Endless Wartime got a lot of character and action beats right, but the story was turgid. Family Business was beautiful but insubstantial in its retreat from its premise, with a dull closing confrontation. No More Humans got the closest to being good, purely by the virtue of Carey's depth of knowledge of X-Men character voices, but devolved into alternate timeline/dimension trickery to produce a thrilling conclusion.

I don't know that I would say any of them are worth owning. I understand that the challenge of a standalone work like this is that you have to reset the board before you go, but looking at past triumphs like God Loves Man Kills, Death of Captain Marvel, Dr. Strange / Dr. Doom, or even the first New Mutants OGN, I think Marvel has a long way to go before recapturing the thrill and impact of their best standalone stories.

Starlin might be the writer who can get the job done.
    Do you read comics in TPBs, HCs, and omnibuses - or are just not sure where to start? Check out my definitive guides to DC (including Rebirth!), Valiant Comics, and Marvel - including every X-Men and Avengers team and each Marvel Event.

You'll find definitive reading guides including every issue of every major Marvel hero and team, like Black Panther, Captain America, Captain/Ms. Marvel, Daredevil, Deadpool, Spider-Man, & and more!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    They're just normal trades.
    You forgot to mention that the Simonson Thor TPBs were overpriced.... more expensive as a set than the omnibus!

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    You forgot to mention that the Simonson Thor TPBs were overpriced.... more expensive as a set than the omnibus!
    Because that would have been helpful.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Family business was pretty great ! I seriously didn't expect that I would love it. Robinson and Waid did a marvelous job on it. I still think they're overpriced though, but I got a nice price for a used on and I'm glad I did. And great art too
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTemp View Post
    Spider-Man Family Business is a wild story that is enjoyable, and the art is beautiful!
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    In any case it's the best option available so no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Valentino View Post
    I'm going to a comic convention in Belfast NI in a couple weeks. Being in such a relatively small location, you think it's likely there'll be any chance of picking up a few rare books, or at least some bargains. Never been to such an event before.
    I'll give you a typical Irish answer - yes and no. Having been to some in my hometown of Dublin I'll tell you that the dealers hall will probably be populated by LCS owners who will have a few bargains but will probably stick to hard prices for the majority of their stock. But you never know. On the other hand there might be private individuals like myself (I got a table at one show a few years ago) who you'll get GREAT bargains from. For instance I sold the Brubaker Cap Omnibus Vol 1 for €50 (40stg or 68 dollars) which IMO was a good deal.
    So keep your eyes peeled. Also stay to the death on the last day. Plenty of dealers will be offering good last minute stuff to get rid of so they don't have to cart it back home again.
    BTW is it the 2D con in Derry?
    Last edited by Eamo71; 05-26-2014 at 02:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Probably, I've going to the local games/comics/movies exhibition this weekend after finally going to it last year and finding some cheap books. It's certainly worth going to experience it.

Spectacular Member Magnum Valentino's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eamo71 View Post
    I'll give you a typical Irish answer - yes and no. Having been to some in my hometown of Dublin I'll tell you that the dealers are will probably be populated by LCS owners who will have a few bargains but will probably stick to hard prices for the majority of their stock. But you never know. On the other hand there might be private individuals like myself (I got a table at one show a few years ago) who you'll get GREAT bargains form. For instance I sold the Brubaker Cap Omnibus Vol 1 for €50 (40stg or 68 dollars) which IMO was a good deal.
    So keep your eye peeled. Also stay to the death on the last day. Plenty of dealers will be offering good last minute stuff to get rid of so they don;t have to cart it back home again.
    BTW is it the 2D con in Derry?
    MCM in Belfast Eamo. That's pretty good advice pal, thanks very much.

BANNED

Is Daredevil Epic Collection: Fall From Grace any good?

Amazing Member

I'm not sure about Ireland but here in Canada I always find good deals on books (including omnibuses and Absolutes) at conventions. Some of the best deals I have found are Absolute Kingdom Come for $20 brand new (I didn't buy it though) and Death of Captain America and Brubaker Daredevil Vol 1 omnibuses for $15 each. The last convention I went to (granted it was a large one) the prices varied greatly depending on the vendor. For example, one vendor was selling FF Bryne Vol 1 omnibus used for $100 but another place was selling it brand new for $40. I always look at every vendor before I buy anything (unless I see a really good price) because you never know what the next vendor may have.

Also it is important to check out the vendors on the first day so you have dibs on the good stuff, but also check them out on the last day as that is when the vendors cut their prices so they can get rid of their stuff.
    Last edited by zeze; 05-25-2014 at 06:01 PM.