Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Koshchei in Hell

Picking up some of the final untidy strings from Hellboy in Hell and BPRD, Mignola returns to Pandemonium(the capital city of Hell) to tell the tale of what happened after Hellboy killed Satan and threw down the armies of the fly. That doesn't seem like a plot that really needs tidying does it? And truth be told there aren't many substantial strings left untied which does give the whole plot of having to stop Pluto(the Greek god, not the dog) from filling the gap in power a slightly flat sense. It's Hell after all, how much worse could it be with some one else in charge? That said, lack of real dread aside the adventure that Koshchei embarks upon to "save" Hell is otherwise off to a fun start. Despite the location, it has a fittingly fairytale mood to it that gives you a real sense of nostalgia, even if you're not familiar with Koshchei's convoluted tale. There's a warmth here as Koshchei puts down his book, belts on his sword and reluctantly takes off to sea looking for adventure, the reluctant and unexpected hero called to action one last time is a well known trope but it feels good to see it again here. I don't know where Mignola is going with Pluto taking over his old domain, but I'm sure the clash of old world and new world mythologies will be interesting to see.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

This book felt more like a classic Hellboy comic than anything in quite some time. And that is a good thing. The very Mignolaesque art by Stenbeck helps a great deal. My only problem I had was that I can't recall all the nuanced history of Hellboy, so some of the references eluded me. I'll have to study up as I read this series.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

FYI, it may be a little extra time between issues. Currently,
    * KOSHCHEI IN HELL #2 is listed for February 01, 2023
    (Originally solicited for December 28, 2022.)

* KOSHCHEI IN HELL #3 is listed for March 01, 2023
    (Originally solicited for January 25, 2023.)

#2 was another winner. It gets a little to deep into the Hellboy mythology for me (because my memory of all the Hellboy stories isn't great) but still a good read with fantastic art.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    #2 was another winner. It gets a little to deep into the Hellboy mythology for me (because my memory of all the Hellboy stories isn't great) but still a good read with fantastic art.
    The art is fantastic, and the deep dive into the lore was fun...but it's lacking a little in narrative thrust for me. What will happen if Pluto arrives? Who is Pluto exactly? What's the threat? I know it's only two issues in but I'd think we'd have a few more answers by now.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    The art is fantastic, and the deep dive into the lore was fun...but it's lacking a little in narrative thrust for me. What will happen if Pluto arrives? Who is Pluto exactly? What's the threat? I know it's only two issues in but I'd think we'd have a few more answers by now.
    I think it’s relying a bit on the background from Hellboy in Hell which introduces Pluto as a fallen Watcher and gives more of his background. Kinda wonder if originally Hellboy was going to deal with him and then the story never got to it

Quote Originally Posted by Skinkie View Post
    I think it’s relying a bit on the background from Hellboy in Hell which introduces Pluto as a fallen Watcher and gives more of his background. Kinda wonder if originally Hellboy was going to deal with him and then the story never got to it
    It definitely feels like this was a remnant left over from the original plans for Hellboy in Hell being a story that would have went on for years back when Mignola first started it. Still, even then Pluto isn't clearly defined here in this book and he should be at this point.

This continues to be a beautiful book to look at but more than a little light on plot.

I enjoyed the symmetry between Koshchei and Hellboy's journeys..but as a story I'm not entirely sure what to think. What was the purpose of the story? I mean, yeah, Koschchei gets redeemed after he died...but why? And what does that do for us?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I enjoyed the symmetry between Koshchei and Hellboy's journeys..but as a story I'm not entirely sure what to think. What was the purpose of the story? I mean, yeah, Koschchei gets redeemed after he died...but why? And what does that do for us?
    Pluto becoming the new big bad of the mignolaverse?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin45 View Post
    Pluto becoming the new big bad of the mignolaverse?
    He was mentioned but it wasn't big enough to be an actual introduction.

I mean, I'm not sure how I'd even really summarize this story. Each issue works on it's own(minus the first two which worked together) but there's not a whole lot tying them together. He kind of moves to the next location simply because he needs to be at that set piece for the next story to be told not due to any narrative progression.

I liked it, it seemed to give two characters a happy ending who needed it. But at the same time, I just can't keep all the Mignolaverse mythology in my head to fully grasp all that happened.
    Was the goat at the end the one with Koshchei's heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I liked it, it seemed to give two characters a happy ending who needed it. But at the same time, I just can't keep all the Mignolaverse mythology in my head to fully grasp all that happened.
    Was the goat at the end the one with Koshchei's heart?
    I think so, I think that's how he got his new start.