Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PolarIceFire View Post
    Ominous Pipe Organ - TV Tropes

Goes w/the whole, *gothic* atmosphere I imagine they're aiming for. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    It's [inspired by/ a new version of] Taki's spell computer from 1988's X-Terminators and the original Inferno, I suspect. It was hard to find scans online, I had to make these myself, from #3.

Attachment 126605

Attachment 126606

This page made me absolutely love Taki. I haven't seen it exceeded yet. Ewing, you've got some work yet to do!

Attachment 126607
    Thank you, yogaflame, that makes perfect sense & has to be right. X-tra for the scans, those were great to see, and they add to things story wise. Think this still applies, though, even retroactively:

The instrument of your Doom!

For added atmosphere, play the music from this video while reading on.

For some reason, organ music and villainy seem to go hand in hand. Perhaps this is because of the organ's powerful sound, which has led to it being dubbed "the king of instruments." Perhaps it just sounds sinister* and scary. In any case, if a character has organ music for their Leitmotif, it's a sure sign said character isn't going to be petting any dogs.

Combine this with Ominous Latin Chanting and/or some For Doom the Bell Tolls, and he's got Big Bad written all over him. It can also combine with Dramatic Thunder to make it more dramatic as suggested.

Sometimes this analogy goes so far to show the villain sitting at a big spooky pipe organ, playing ominous tunes, as the heroes walk in on him. This iconic scene was probably inspired by The Phantom of the Opera, whose villain is often similarly shown with his sinister organ. The standard music for this scene is the Toccata and Fugue in D minor by Johann Sebastian Bach. Bonus points, however, if they are playing their own leitmotif. Even better if it contains lots of diminished 7th chords. The organ also tends to be the Signature Instrument of Count Dracula. ...
    * re. Mad Maddie & maybe even, by eXtension... Bad Benny?

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    That's Latin for "the text of darkness", btw.
    Ooh, "Ominous"... indeed, thanX once again, ya saved me a search!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe Magik should join the Quiet Council.

Astonishing Member

I read Bad Benny as Bad Bunny for a second and now guess who's providing the soundtrack for Ben's moments here in my head ahsklhflahfklahflaf.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I read Bad Benny as Bad Bunny for a second and now guess who's providing the soundtrack for Ben's moments here in my head ahsklhflahfklahflaf.
    HA!

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Nah, she got dragged to Hell along with her Hex-Men by a bunch of alternate Maddies when Beast broke free of her.
    Aaah yes, I think I remember it now, thanks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    I never thought I was going to play the role of being the devil's advocate for this, but to be fair especially Chasm and Paul make more sense.
    No, Paul doesn't make sense in the slightest, not if you know MJ's history. And Ben's whole thing is outright character assassination.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Was Maddie really reformed in New Mutants?

Magik (bless her heart) was giving her the opportunity to rule Limbo Be better not because she Was better...it's why Dani and Rahne were there, to point out the fact that she, Maddie, really hasn't changed.

Besides...do any of us truly expect the Goblin Queen of Limbo to be rainbow and sunshine bright?
    I wish we got at least ONE story where Maddie actually tried to do better, before her character regressed again. I say regression because even though Magik was giving her the benefit of the doubt, Madelyne’s interactions throughout that New Mutants arc really leaned into her wanting limbo so she can finally start fresh. This story is retroactively making that whole thing a big con.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

"You should change Maddy"
    "You're right, I shouldn't try to kill the X-Men anymore"
    "Exactly!"
    "I should kill Spider-Man"

An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    No, Paul doesn't make sense in the slightest, not if you know MJ's history. And Ben's whole thing is outright character assassination.
    Even though I've been dead for a while I know the whole MJ and Paul mess, it must be very hard to have to keep putting up with Paul adding also the fact of not having any idea what that mystery box is, that's why Paul makes sense that character was created to be hated and be a hindrance in the plot, so Paul fulfills the purpose of his creation very well, I could go deeper into that whole issue but honestly I don't care too much either.

On the other hand, you're partly right and partly wrong, Mattie. The whole Ben being Chasm thing is bullshit, but there are much worse things than that, there's also the detail that Ben being Chasm won't last a lifetime either, plus Madelyne is almost in the same situation as Ben and I don't see many here disliking too much the idea of having Madelyne as the main villain of this event.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Maddie is just so...Rita Repulsa in this
    As a Power Rangers fan, have you read the comics starting with MMPR #101? I ask because Rita's back, and viler than ever. Literally, she goes by Mistress Vile now.

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Can Maddie bring back Stevil to life or can she use him/his soul as her undead supersoldier!?
    Stevil was a clone, kinda, sorta...
    Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Is Stevil dead? I'm pretty sure he's just in jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Maddie turning evil after Hellions and New Mutants makes NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sense.

Pretty sure Secret Empire ended with him still alive unless something happened in the Waid Cap series that followed and I forgot.
    In Coates' Captain America's run, Selene killed him.

Probably to better sell the frameup of Steve Rogers proper by the Power Elite, since Steve would then be unable to just dredge up his HYDRA doppelganger and use him as evidence that he was being framed. That said, rather anticlimactic way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Nah it was that Kobik had warped reality so that the reality that we’ve always known was a cosmic cube warped reality from the Allies using the cube to win WWII and that Stevil had been a sleeper agent all that time. Meanwhile the true Steve ended up inside of Kobik’s inner world without his memories. In the end Kobik fixed history back to its original state prior to her meddling and brought the real Cap back into the world.

Nah, she got dragged to Hell along with her Hex-Men by a bunch of alternate Maddies when Beast broke free of her.
    Wonder if she'll come back as well down the line. Maybe the psychic ghost version that Nate Grey accidentally conjured up back in the 90s X-Man series, too.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    "You should change Maddy"
    "You're right, I shouldn't try to kill the X-Men anymore"
    "Exactly!"
    "I should kill Spider-Man"
    Ha, good one.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

On the one hand, Maddie being the villain again and doing Inferno 2.0 is tired as ****. On the other hand, I, and many others, really want to see her just f*** s*** up. She is the poster child for mangled female characters to make others look good, so if she were to just nuke Jean, Cyclops and Magik (for stupidly letting her do this) I'd be happy.

Oh, and I guess Ben is there too. His character is pretty mangled too, and the current entire Spider-Man run is horrible.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    On the one hand, Maddie being the villain again and doing Inferno 2.0 is tired as ****. On the other hand, I, and many others, really want to see her just f*** s*** up. She is the poster child for mangled female characters to make others look good, so if she were to just nuke Jean, Cyclops and Magik (for stupidly letting her do this) I'd be happy.

Oh, and I guess Ben is there too. His character is pretty mangled too, and the current entire Spider-Man run is horrible.
    Pretty much, at least on the Spider-Man front. And yeah, Madelyne definitely got a raw deal.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

In Coates' Captain America's run, Selene killed him.

If I might ask how did these end up together to begin with? Selene doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would associate with someone like Steve Rogers.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    If I might ask how did these end up together to begin with? Selene doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would associate with someone like Steve Rogers.
    Selene was part of a group called The Power Elite who were trying to take over America. Selene's job specifically was a form of mass manipulation involving creating an incel cult among men in rural America. She also brought Red Skull back to life and stole Sharon Carters' soul. When Cap beat her she was turned over to Krakoa to bring justice to her, but they decided not too and instead let her be in charge of X-Corp.

Selene was part of a group called The Power Elite who were trying to take over America. Selene's job specifically was a form of mass manipulation involving creating an incel cult among men in rural America. She also brought Red Skull back to life and stole Sharon Carters' soul. When Cap beat her she was turned over to Krakoa to bring justice to her, but they decided not too and instead let her be in charge of X-Corp.
    But did she kill anybody?
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

well, they also shot her in the head, brought her back to life to snap her neck and kill her again, and leave her for dead for good this time. Justice served, I guess!

Honestly, Selene is sooooo under-appreciated as an X-villain goddess. No clue, what those clueless writers are thinking cluelessly writing books WITHOUT Selene every month.....*sobsinqueer

Madelyne and Selene should get back together and restart the Sisterhood. Just imagine the look on Mystique's and Destiny's face if there would be another evil lesbian power couple around. :-)
    Last edited by Exodus; 12-03-2022 at 03:25 AM.