Default Best non-Williams Star Wars music?

John Williams of course has done all the Skywalker saga films, but especially now there's plenty of Star Wars work he hasn't done outside of that-although he did compose some themes for Obi-Wan and Solo.

Some SW spin-offs use a lot of William's work (Solo, for example, the whole Kessel run is pretty much a medley of JW tunes), while others hardly rely on it at all (Andor being the latest example).

Many video games also used mostly original soundtracks in Midi format before audio technology improved and for years many just mixed in tracks from the films, although there's been some original work done as well.

Just a few other composers:

Peter Bernstein (The Ewok films)
    Michael Giannocho (Rogue One)
    John Powell (Solo)
    Kevin Kiner (Clone Wars)
    Visions had several composers....
    Ludwig Goransson of course did the music for Mandalorian and Book of Boba Fett.
    Natalie Holt was the primary composer of Obi-Wan (although the theme is Williams)
    Nicholas Britell did Andor, one of SW's more minimalist scores, fitting the show's style.

One other notable one is Joel Mcneeley, who made the soundtrack to the "non-film" (and now non-canon) Shadows of The Empire. Some of his work was included in the Nintendo 64/PC game as well. Thought his work had a sort of Disney animated movie feel to it-naturally, since Joel has done some Disney work (Although mostly of the direct-to-video variety). Seems that Seth Mcfarlane likes to use his stuff a lot...

I'm surprised Bear McCreary hasn't been given anything other than a VR game based on Galaxy's Edge so far. Then again, maybe he's a bit on the busy side.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-01-2022 at 01:42 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Ludwig Goransson's themes for the Mandolorian and Fett are some of my favorite themes by far.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Ludwig Goransson's themes for the Mandolorian and Fett are some of my favorite themes by far.
    Count me in for Gorransson as well, albeit I would argue for pretty much the entirety of The Mandalorian Season 2, especially with the diet notice motifs he added to the already great collection from Season One. Not only does Din have his theme, and not only do we hear new variations on Gideon’s, but we also get ones for Boba Fett (and a Cooler one than his show, in my opinion), Bo Katan, and the Dark Troopers, and a great recreation if Ahsoka’s theme and the legendary soundtrack for Luke’s rampage through the Darktroopers.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP