Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fantastic Member

On one hand I’m tiring of sinister also but what we get is so golden my gripes about him are in the abstract. I eat up every issue despite myself.

Destinys been gone for a long time and needed some re-establishing focus especially as Hickman made her way more important than she already was.

And again we get an explanation for Moira's power that turns her into the Marvel Universes' greatest monster. If she collapses realities every time she dies, then she has a bodycount higher than Thanos.

I'm so over Sinister. Everything he's doing now is because of the stupidity and incompetence of every character around him, and it goes back to Day 1 of the reboot. blech

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If you'll notice, I began with 'queer-coded' in quotations. It's not particularly my idea, it's been used by many others, including yourself: IMO Sinister was always queer-coded.

And by attempting to intimate that my critique of Gillen's Sinister was "LGBTphobia", you were indeed intimating that my position was "LGBTphobic". People can chose to not like Gillen's work without using such charged terms. I don't fear it, I simply dislike it.
    Yes. Words have meanings. You cannot through them out there and apply them to whatever. Sinister is, and has been way before Gillen, queer-coded. I genuinely asked how the Machine was too, as I could have missed something. But you congregate "snarky" and "queer-coded", which I find problematic. I did say "borderline lgbtphobic", because sometimes we do indeed have these opinions or misunderstandings that borders on queerphobia.
    It doesn't mean you're particularly queerphobic yourself.
    You could totally say "I dislike Gillen's writing and characters". You don't even need a reason, but I think the reason you gave was weird and the term "queer-coded" is indeed charged, especially if misused.
    I'm sorry if I came off agressive, but I find misuse of certains terms annoying, while actual exploration of it would be nice.
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 12-03-2022 at 06:15 AM.

If Sinister was 'always "queer coded", what does that even mean? He wore skintight spandex/leather? All superheroes and villian do. He had sharp teeth and looked like a Dracula Colossus, and physically manhandled Sabretooth in his first appearance. I don't see that as being particularly 'queer coded' from the start, unless we hyperfocus on the Vampire BDSM Leather Daddy Power Top Asexual frequency of the spectrum. In terms of modern Sinister post Gillen, what was once sinister became sassy. Yes he's cloning; twisting the very fabric of life and death according to his will with casual disregard, while spouting supremacist notions, but now he does it with a twirl of a mustache, so it's "fun". If that's supposed to be some kind of meaningful, progressive representation, then count me out.

We can disagree on our interpretations, but we don't have to attack each other personally. I appreciate the apology. Language is ever changing and always subject to inelegancies. I'm not trying to queer bash, and I apologize if that's what my statements came across as.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Gillen's doing a great job right now.

Also, it's great that the books are continuing the long-term planning that began with HoXPoX. Sinister was a big part of that. We're getting into that phase of the story. This rules.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Gillen's doing a great job right now.

Also, it's great that the books are continuing the long-term planning that began with HoXPoX. Sinister was a big part of that. We're getting into that phase of the story. This rules.
    Absolutely agree. In fact everything that we've read up till now is pretty much just been unresolved plot threads that have spun out of HoX/PoX which I love! Really gives more weight to the whole KRAKOA era.

Hopefully Marvel gets to the DOMINION portion that Hickman introduced because that HIGH SC-FI shit is my bread and butter and EWING better be the one in charge of it!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Hopefully with fewer infographics and exposition this time

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

To be honest i'm surprised Sinister has gotten this much attention right now.

Anyway, I DO NOT like him under Gillen's Pen. So let's get through this SOS and move away from him PLEASE.

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!