Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

I watched the GOTG volume 3 on streaming the other day. I rate it above average. It was a bit good movie. I liked Rocket Racoon's origin backstory. The scene where he spots baby racoons was emotional.

This version of Adam Warlock is nothing like the comic book version. Impulsive, impressionable, easy to manipulate, and sometimes foolish.

Boisterously Confused

Geez, no wonder the Rocket we met in GotG1 was such a hardcase. It's surprising he ever managed to bond with Groot.

There were good things about HE, but the sheer amount of time he spent shouting did get tedious.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    I watched the GOTG volume 3 on streaming the other day. I rate it above average. It was a bit good movie. I liked Rocket Racoon's origin backstory. The scene where he spots baby racoons was emotional.

This version of Adam Warlock is nothing like the comic book version. Impulsive, impressionable, easy to manipulate, and sometimes foolish.
    That may not be what he is like now, but was that always the case?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    That may not be what he is like now, but was that always the case?
    He always seemed pretentious, a bit clueless (always terribly shocked and surprised by his enemies doing *anything*, they're villains, Adam, they're gonna do villain-y things, get over it!) and filled with angst/self-pity, like Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone, only in a cosmic/space setting, instead of a fantasy/magic one. I definitely don't mind that MCU Adam Warlock isn't much like comic-book Adam Warlock...

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    He always seemed pretentious, a bit clueless (always terribly shocked and surprised by his enemies doing *anything*, they're villains, Adam, they're gonna do villain-y things, get over it!) and filled with angst/self-pity, like Michael Moorcock's Elric of Melnibone, only in a cosmic/space setting, instead of a fantasy/magic one. I definitely don't mind that MCU Adam Warlock isn't much like comic-book Adam Warlock...
    Yeah the Elric comparison probably would've seemed more obvious to 70s/80s readers.... especially the soul gem vs Elric's soul-sucking sword. Also the idea that in the future you are doomed to be a destroyer. Adam just had a better tan, lol.

I mean had Gunn chosen to go with a more angsty version I'm still the character would still have been mostly comic relief.

Not to say you couldn't do a more comic accurate version of Starlin's Warlock but it helps if you have Pip the Troll around for balance.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Also, it's one thing to not like a character, but if you're only going into movies looking for direct translations from the comics - yeah, you're going to be disappointed. I understand hoping to see a faithful adaptation but if it becomes a deal breaker, I feel bad for you. Adaptations are Elseworlds - there's no other way to look at it.
    Agree with every word. It's already been stated several time's over that the MCU is entirely it's own universe, separate from the comics. Even without keeping that in mind, though, they're still spectacularly entertaining superhero movies.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 08-25-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Geez, no wonder the Rocket we met in GotG1 was such a hardcase. It's surprising he ever managed to bond with Groot.

There were good things about HE, but the sheer amount of time he spent shouting did get tedious.
    The HE reminded me of that homeless guy shouting at clouds all day. Had to be awkward for his staff, who were all relatively soft spoken.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Seems like the beginning of a new team.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Agree with every word. It's already been stated several time's over that the MCU is entirely it's own universe, separate from the comics. Even without keeping that in mind, though, they're still spectacularly entertaining superhero movies.
    Even the comics can sometimes come across as an entirely AU sort of deal. Gamora has radically changed from the slinky seducer with a god-killing magic dagger who always seemed to get smacked around if she failed to get in a sneaky backstab because she was rubbish in a standup fight, Star-Lord from the stoic dude with the element gun and quasi-sexual relationship with his shapeshifting AI spaceship, Drax from the lean flying energy zapper (reanimated corpse...) father of Moondragon. I never read the original appearances of Groot or Rocket, but I'll bet dollars to doughnuts they are both pretty darn different from their original appearances...

It's not even possible to make a version of some of these characters that's 'accurate' to all the many contradictory things they have been over the years, so really, all I care about is that the movie is telling a good story, and so far, more hits than misses. (And more shows about characters I *never* expected to see a movie about, like Ant-Man, Moon Knight, Werewolf by Night or the Guardians of the Galaxy that have been absurdly better than anything I could have expected.)

Re: The Legendary Star-lord will return... I kinda feel like the use of the word "Legendary" will actually mean we'll pick up with Peter on earth, trying to tell people about his space adventures and people not really buying it. Just a random guess - and that it won't feel like a Guardians movie. It'll just be a one-off earth adventure with Peter.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Re: The Legendary Star-lord will return... I kinda feel like the use of the word "Legendary" will actually mean we'll pick up with Peter on earth, trying to tell people about his space adventures and people not really buying it. Just a random guess - and that it won't feel like a Guardians movie. It'll just be a one-off earth adventure with Peter.
    That would certainly be a different take, not sure it'll pan out and I'd rather a Rocket and Groot film.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Astonishing Member

Just watched it when the price went down. I have to say, I didn't like it. While Rocket's backstory was interesting, it didn't carry an entire movie. Interesting characters like Adam and the HE weren't really developed. There was just too much running around in CGI fights. The sentimentality was a little overplayed and unsophisticated. There were plot holes but not worth going over. It was a B- movie for me, if it cost more that $5.99, I would have been annoyed to spend the money.

The only jarring moment was calling Drax 'stupid'. That was sad and unneeded.

BANNED

I'm not gonna lie a lot of this just sounds like a way of trying to call the movie bad without actually specifying why.
    Because most of this is just general vague statements that don't really mean anything.
    Even the things that were specified don't make much sense, because Adam Warlock did receive development wasn't the best or most in depth development but to say he wasn't developed is just wrong, and I don't even know what development the High Evolutionary would supposedly get, he's clearly not the sort of character who changes that's kind of the point of his character.
    And there honestly weren't even that many fights to claim too much of the movies run time was spent on that.
    Last edited by StickMin; 10-03-2023 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StickMin View Post
    I'm not gonna lie a lot of this just sounds like a way of trying to call the movie without actually specifying why.
    Fwiw, I thought Captain Smith's post was fine - it was a reaction/review that mentioned several aspects of the movie. This isn't a dissertation defense.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-03-2023 at 11:52 AM.

BANNED

Fwiw, I thought Captain Smith's post was fine - it was a reaction/review that mentioned several aspects of the movie. This isn't a dissertation defense.
    I just had to call it as I see it.
    It says the movie is bad but it's largely just vague or incorrect statements.