Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

I saw it today and it felt more of a closure to Phase 4 than Black Panther did. I was disappointed in Warlock overall but I did like the homage to his time on Counter-Earth and the High Evolutionary. I realize an unknown amount of time passed between the final scene and mid-credit scene but Adam acted more like himself then. If the current rumor is true and Marvel is not going to recast Kang and look for another vilain then I think the High Evolutionary will fit that role quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    I saw it today and it felt more of a closure to Phase 4 than Black Panther did. I was disappointed in Warlock overall but I did like the homage to his time on Counter-Earth and the High Evolutionary. I realize an unknown amount of time passed between the final scene and mid-credit scene but Adam acted more like himself then. If the current rumor is true and Marvel is not going to recast Kang and look for another vilain then I think the High Evolutionary will fit that role quite well.
    well i think in a way it IS closure to phase 4 as the whole Star-lord/Gamora thing was kind of the last remaining unaddressed plotline from Endgame.

agree that high evolutionary would make a reasonable substitute for Kang, not sure if marvel will go that route or not.

i thought this was on par with the other 2, a very consistently great trilogy. i do think Nebula and new Gamora should have interacted more. But besides that, 4.5/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaled View Post
    agreed, they were completely vague about high evolutionary's past as far as i remember. Just make a Kang variant and pretend all the other variants looked like him the whole time and we'll be good to go.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Saw this GOTG 3 yesterday and I have to say it was entertaining for the most part. I found the section with Rocket's origin to be the best part of the movie. Adam Warlock was disappointing and is one of those characters from the comics that is getting short shrift here. He was more like tempermental Quicksilver to me. The High Evolutionary was impressive but inconsistent in character. And spoilers:
    He looked worse than Doctor Doom when he was finally unmasked
    end of spoilers

Invincible Member

Please put this in spoilers for me...Faith No More songs are the movie?!

Wasn’t it Ike Perlmutter who said they could swap one black actor for another and no-one would notice because they “all look the same”? I guess now we’re thinking why not do that for characters too?

Finally saw it

Really really fantastic

Gunn’s strongest talent is nailing emotional moments. He’s going to make a great superman movie

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Saw this GOTG 3 yesterday and I have to say it was entertaining for the most part. I found the section with Rocket's origin to be the best part of the movie. Adam Warlock was disappointing and is one of those characters from the comics that is getting short shrift here. He was more like tempermental Quicksilver to me. The High Evolutionary was impressive but inconsistent in character. And spoilers:
    He looked worse than Doctor Doom when he was finally unmasked
    end of spoilers
    Hey I'll just go ahead and say it:

spoilers:
    HE was a better Dr. Doom than any Dr. Doom we have seen so far on film. Sad!
    end of spoilers
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    well i think in a way it IS closure to phase 4 as the whole Star-lord/Gamora thing was kind of the last remaining unaddressed plotline from Endgame.
    I never thought of it that way, but you're right. This movie really did close a lot of doors in a good way. I also feel like guys like Drax have sort of lost their impact, and they need to make way for other heroes.

Although I really want to see Mantis again, and I'm wondering if there's a Marvels/New Guardians team-up in the future.

Finally saw it on D+, so catching up:
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Whatever he was writing was not Drax and it didn't really deserve more screentime.
    Did you not read Peter David's Drax who was ... not the brightest? Gunn's Drax seems more in line with that comic book version.(although Gunn's Drax is a lot more interesting and nuanced than that) Also, it's one thing to not like a character, but if you're only going into movies looking for direct translations from the comics - yeah, you're going to be disappointed. I understand hoping to see a faithful adaptation but if it becomes a deal breaker, I feel bad for you. Adaptations are Elseworlds - there's no other way to look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    Sensationalism sells...These are the times we live in now...
    "Now??" Have you never heard of William Randolph Hearst? ... or The Bible? I'm pretty sure those cave paintings probably exaggerated the size of that bison they killed or whatever... (It's funny to me how people think things are the worst "now", but people have always thought that about the current era ... because people grow to understand how horrible things are as they get older, so it seems to have been getting worse, when it's more that they're only becoming aware of how terrible things always always been)

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I'd say the trend of a racial recast that favors villains might bear watching. There might be nothing to it, but it could be a sign of something worse. But hopefully not, and it's just a blip that evens out with future films trending more evenly between heroes and villains.
    Marvel wants some diversity, but they know if they race-swapped a hero there'd be a shitstorm vs if they changed the race of a villain.(and the internet morons are already up in arms about "woke Disney")
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-08-2023 at 08:31 PM.

Oh yeah - in terms of the actual movie, the two biggest things for me:
    -- I only saw it at home so maybe it works better on the big screen, but for me Gunn's constantly moving wide-angle lens was distracting.
    -- They never mention it explicitly, but I like how much Nebula obviously loves Rocket. And it completely makes sense since she's known him 5 years longer than the others (aside from Gamorra) since they were the only two not blipped.
    -- Overall, I liked it a lot for the reasons most people like it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-08-2023 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Finally saw it on D+, so catching up:

Did you not read Peter David's Drax who was ... not the brightest? Gunn's Drax seems more in line with that comic book version.(although Gunn's Drax is a lot more interesting and nuanced than that) Also, it's one thing to not like a character, but if you're only going into movies looking for direct translations from the comics - yeah, you're going to be disappointed. I understand hoping to see a faithful adaptation but if it becomes a deal breaker, I feel bad for you. Adaptations are Elseworlds - there's no other way to look at it.
    The funny thing about Drax is his original self was...less than bright for a variety of reasons but design-wise Gunn pulled from the era where he was actually smart, cunning, and deadly.

I'm not sure if Peter David wrote Drax elsewhere, but in his Captain Marvel run (Genis-Vell), Drax was...yeah...

And for myself, that was my only exposure to Drax, so the MCU Drax never "bothered" me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    Finally saw it

Really really fantastic

Gunn’s strongest talent is nailing emotional moments. He’s going to make a great superman movie
    I was kind of blown away with how the show managed to capture some of the fun beats of his previous movies, but it was very much not a comedy at other points, and just painful and ruthless at times. He didn't pluck at those heartstrings like an angel with a harp, he did a guitar solo on them!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Oh yeah - in terms of the actual movie, the two biggest things for me:
    -- I only saw it at home so maybe it works better on the big screen, but for me Gunn's constantly moving wide-angle lens was distracting.
    -- They never mention it explicitly, but I like how much Nebula obviously loves Rocket. And it completely makes sense since she's known him 5 years longer than the others (aside from Gamorra) since they were the only two not blipped.
    -- Overall, I liked it a lot for the reasons most people like it.
    For five years, the two of them effectively were the Guardians of the Galaxy. They had no reason to think any of the others were ever coming back, and apparently no one else stepped up. The few remaining Avengers were on Earth, and Captain Marvel was solo, so they pretty much only had each other.

Nebula's evolution over the movies honestly might be my favorite single character's arc.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine