Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I can't comment on that story since I only dip in and out of the Spider-Man comics, but I do feel that disliking a list because it doesn't feature enough of your favorite supporting character is the definition of inobjective.
    Neither The Child Within, nor The Lost Years. I can't take that list seriously at all

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Neither The Child Within, nor The Lost Years. I can't take that list seriously at all
    My Dinner With Jonah is another one that CBR overlooked

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    My Dinner With Jonah is another one that CBR overlooked
    That sad part is some people take these poll's as law and seriously

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I can't comment on that story since I only dip in and out of the Spider-Man comics, but I do feel that disliking a list because it doesn't feature enough of your favorite supporting character is the definition of inobjective.
    That…has nothing to do with my post, which is pointing out Shed is a terrible story which is notable only for demonstrating Zeb Wells’s petty little edgelord sensibilities to a T and therefore calls the listmaker’s credibility into question. :shrug

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    That…has nothing to do with my post, which is pointing out Shed is a terrible story which is notable only for demonstrating Zeb Wells’s petty little edgelord sensibilities to a T and therefore calls the listmaker’s credibility into question. :shrug
    Apologies. I wasn't necessarily saying that had anything to do with anything that you posted. I was just commenting in general on how some seem to think a top 25 list has to include as many stories of their favorite supporting cast member as possible for it to be deemed as credible.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    That sad part is some people take these poll's as law and seriously
    The problem with these polls and ratings is they give carte Blanche to The Spider Office to keep pushing Wells down our throats. Best comic run of the year and Shed 20th best Spider-Man story ever.

Astonishing Member

I agree 100%.

A top 25 list by definition can’t be objective as it is someone’s opinion.

However, by putting Shed on the list one can argue that the list has lost all credibility.
    But it is a Top 25 story.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    But it is a Top 25 story.
    If you like silly petty edgelord stories that don’t belong in a Spider-Man book and should probably be saved for the writer’s self-indulgent creator-owned work, sure.

But anyone who puts it in a supposedly “official” - LOL - Top 25 list - along with Spider-Worse which is one of the most poorly structured and plotted stories with laughable characterization in all of comics, not just Spider-Man - and not, say, The Child Within or My Dinner with Jonah or ASM 400/Death of Aunt May or The Commuter Cometh - loses any and all credibility. And the list includes Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man Blue, which means alt-u stories were considered, so Life Story also has a legitimate claim.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 12-31-2022 at 02:10 PM.

If you like silly petty edgelord stories that don’t belong in a Spider-Man book and should probably be saved for the writer’s self-indulgent creator-owned work, sure.

But anyone who puts it in a supposedly “official” - LOL - Top 25 list - along with Spider-Worse which is one of the most poorly structured and plotted stories with laughable characterization in all of comics, not just Spider-Man - and not, say, The Child Within or My Dinner with Jonah or ASM 400/Death of Aunt May or The Commuter Cometh - loses any and all credibility. And the list includes Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man Blue, which means alt-u stories were considered, so Life Story also has a legitimate claim.
    good thing list are subjective
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    good thing list are subjective
    Exactly.

People are allowed to have terrible literary taste, like this author of this list

Exactly.

People are allowed to have terrible literary taste, like this author of this list
    what's your list if you are going to talk down on someone
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

A top 25 list by definition can’t be objective as it is someone’s opinion.

However, by putting Shed on the list one can argue that the list has lost all credibility.
    (As an aside, I think aesthetic value is derived from objective qualities. Whether characters are credibly motivated based on the characters' past histories is in part objective. What is more subjective is the weighting somebody gives each quality.)
    Having just looked at the history of Shed and Curt Connors I agree: the basic plot outline is edgelordy. The bit everyone remembers is the Lizard eating his son. That's apparently in part two out of four. The bit everyone remembers should be the climax of a story: that's just basic plotting. Then it ends up with Curt's personality gone and the Lizard left. That's just dodging any serious reckoning with the horror of the situation. If it were serious it would have a coda in which Connors had to live with what he'd done as the Lizard. But it doesn't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    (As an aside, I think aesthetic value is derived from objective qualities. Whether characters are credibly motivated based on the characters' past histories is in part objective. What is more subjective is the weighting somebody gives each quality.)
    Having just looked at the history of Shed and Curt Connors I agree: the basic plot outline is edgelordy. The bit everyone remembers is the Lizard eating his son. That's apparently in part two out of four. The bit everyone remembers should be the climax of a story: that's just basic plotting. Then it ends up with Curt's personality gone and the Lizard left. That's just dodging any serious reckoning with the horror of the situation. If it were serious it would have a coda in which Connors had to live with what he'd done as the Lizard. But it doesn't.
    There's implied rape too (heavily implied).

Back on topic:

Can Marvel pay Snyder? They're usually pretty cheap or so I've heard.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    The bit everyone remembers is the Lizard eating his son. That's apparently in part two out of four. The bit everyone remembers should be the climax of a story: that's just basic plotting.
    By that logic Psycho is a poorly plotted film.