Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Default Villains of the DCU general thread 2023

A place to talk about, show some love, maybe the opposite for some of those villains that may not warrant their own thread.

Some of the most iconic and memorable villains in comics .

Hoping 2023 will be a productive year for those who oppose the DCU hierarchy

This guy needs some love
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-05-2023 at 05:54 AM.

I kinda hope DC put Darkseid on the sideline for some times

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Speaking of villains, I'm reminded of the weirdness of Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad where how out of character he tries to write Deadshot as a noble merc. Plus he tried way too hard in making him cute such as him being unrealistically supportive to his daughter wanting to be a superhero or giving him a puppy with a punny name.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co..._way_too_hard/

Like if we're being in character Floyd would no way be so supportive over his daughter wanting to be a superhero.

He would also find the entire concept of Liveshot where she doesn't kill with long range weapons personally insulting due to the immense respect he places on the concept of the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Speaking of villains, I'm reminded of the weirdness of Tom Taylor's Suicide Squad where how out of character he tries to write Deadshot as a noble merc. Plus he tried way too hard in making him cute such as him being unrealistically supportive to his daughter wanting to be a superhero or giving him a puppy with a punny name.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co..._way_too_hard/

Like if we're being in character Floyd would no way be so supportive over his daughter wanting to be a superhero.

He would also find the entire concept of Liveshot where she doesn't kill with long range weapons personally insulting due to the immense respect he places on the concept of the gun.
    I never read these stories, but from your description, it sounds like the whole point was that he was changed by fatherhood. Agree or not, perhaps that was just what the writer intended?

Incredible Member

My Top 10 DC Villains

1) Darkseid
    2) Black Adam
    3) Joker
    4) Sinestro
    5) Vandal Savage
    6) Brainiac
    7) Krona
    8) Ultra-Humanite
    9) Prometheus
    10) Amanda Waller

Honorary Mention (in no order): Deathstroke, Gorilla Grodd, Ma'alefa'ak, Ocean-Master, Psimon

I kinda like my villains to have a wide variety of power levels, motivations, MO's, and indeed, levels of villainy and morality. Lately it seems like most fans want their villains to be all-powerful world conquerors, bloodthirsty mass murderers, or utterly morally depraved degenerates who have no humanity or lines that they won't cross. Hell, some seem to be morally outraged at the mere hint that even the biggest villains might not be 1000 percent utterly evil.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I never read these stories, but from your description, it sounds like the whole point was that he was changed by fatherhood. Agree or not, perhaps that was just what the writer intended?
    He's been a father for years already and while he cares for his daughter it never changed how sociopathic he is.

Its more all of a sudden Deadshot is just a good guy, Taylor really softened him to OOC levels. Even his wife welcomed him back with open arms despite having a previously tense relationship with him.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Amazo is one of those villains that I like overall and it may be time that it becomes sentient enough to just be its own big bad

Incredible Member

Love me some Brainiac. Hope he shows up in a movie someday

Last edited by Styles; 01-07-2023 at 05:02 PM.

Incredible Member

Also Eobard Thawne; the Reverse-Flash

Last edited by Styles; 01-07-2023 at 01:17 PM.