Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods

Kneel Before the Gods of the DC Universe in Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods

Wonder Woman and Shazam Take a Stand in The Four Issue Mini-Series From G. Willow Wilson and Cian Tormey

Wonder Woman #797 and #798 Set Up The Princess of Themyscira’s Story in Dawn of DC
    Two months weren’t large enough to contain all of the explosive action of Lazarus Planet. Chaos has been brewing in the world of the Gods and now Shazam and Wonder Woman are involved!

Arriving in comic shops this March from superstar writer G. Willow Wilson (Poison Ivy) and artist Cian Tormey (Superman: Son of Kal-El), Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods is a four issue bi-weekly miniseries that pits the Gods of the DC Universe against the Shazam family and Wonder Woman. But for how long can they fight against the ones that gave them their powers in the first place?

"I'm excited for readers to see what we've been cooking up--old favorite characters, new favorite characters, and team-ups you've never seen before are all coming your way,” said writer G. Willow Wilson. “Diana will be tested in ways she's never been tested before, and find new allies in unexpected places. There are some twists and reveals that I guarantee will have you jumping out of your chair."

Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods takes place immediately after the events of Lazarus Planet. The gods of the Multiverse have decided to take down the heroes they once called champions and the world they’ve sworn to protect. For years the gods sat idle atop their mountains as their legends faded into obscurity along with their bodies. Now is their time to remind the selfish mortals of their existence and take back the world with something more powerful than belief...fear. Only the brave heroes Wonder Woman and Shazam stand in their way, but will their combined powers be enough?

“I am incredibly excited to get to work with G. Willow Wilson. I have been a fan of her work for years now and I couldn’t have chosen a more exciting book to work together on than Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods,” said Artist Cian Tormey. “The story is going to feature things that I've never even thought about drawing before, so I hope everyone is ready for what we have planned!”
    LAZARUS PLANET: REVENGE OF THE GODS #1
    Written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    Art by CIAN TORMEY
    Back-up written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Back-up art by ALITHA MARTINEZ
    Cover by GUILLEM MARCH
    Variant cover by SIMONE DI MEO
    1:25 variant cover by MICHAEL CHO
    1:50 foil cover by DANIEL SAMPERE
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | 1 of 4 | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 3/14/23

The gods have leveled up, and Shazam is no match for them! After Wonder Woman’s changing of sides to save her Amazon sisters, Billy must use his quickly fading wisdom of Solomon to formulate a plan to stop his world’s destruction. Little does he know a secret ally awaits him in Olympus...but how will he make it there? Sounds like a job for Wonder Girl!
    LAZARUS PLANET: REVENGE OF THE GODS #2
    Written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    Art by CIAN TORMEY and EMANUELA LUPACCHINO
    Back-up written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Back-up art by ALITHA MARTINEZ
    Cover by GUILLEM MARCH
    Variant cover by SIMONE DI MEO
    1:25 variant cover by MICHAEL CHO
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | 2 of 4 | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 3/28/23

Wonder Woman #797 and #798 will also tie-in to Lazarus Planet: Revenge of the Gods to set up Diana Prince’s story in Dawn of DC in 2023. After Diana’s shocking choice to align herself with the gods, her world has changed. Could godhood be the answer to all her problems? Find out as Diana ascends! Wonder Woman #797 and #798 will feature Mary Marvel backup stories by The New Champion of Shazam Writer Josie Campbell and art by Caitlin Yarsky (Black Hammer).
    WONDER WOMAN #797
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Art by AMANCAY NAHUELPAN
    Back-up written by JOSIE CAMPBELL
    Back-up art by CAITLIN YARSKY
    Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    Variant cover by BABS TARR
    Variant cover by JOËLLE JONES
    1:25 variant cover by ZU ORZU
    1:50 foil variant cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    Shazam! Fury of the Gods movie variant cover by POP MHAN
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 3/21/23

The explosive Lazarus Planet event kicks off on January 10, 2023 with Lazarus Planet: Alpha and continues through April 2023. Fans won't want to miss Lazarus Planet as it leads directly into Dawn of DC, a yearlong publishing initiative celebrating the classic characters while also embracing the next generation of new heroes.
    Last edited by Hypo; 12-02-2022 at 12:22 PM.

The perfect team-up!

Also I guess Diana really is in Shazam 2 and this is synergy to coincide with the movie release.

This sounds awful.

Expected nothing less from a DC event.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    This sounds awful.

Same here. And did you notice how it is called revenge of the gods? Is that supposed to mirror somehow the event. War Of The Gods? GWW wishes she could write a WW book half as good as that. The only flaw in WOTG in my opinion, was the fight between Wonder Woman and shazam. But other than that. It is the only good WW event. And gww sure doesn't have the talent to do anything close to that quality when it comes to WW and her lore.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Diana would never align herself with the gods over mortals. That goes against her very nature.
    Likewise, another opportunity to utilize Donna and Cassie and they are ignored. So much so the back up is going to someone not even in the Wonder family. (Not that I hate Mary...I love the mini thats out, but for Pete's sake what's it going to take?)

Hmm,

Good:
    - WW and Billy interacting. Always wanted to see more of the two world's interacting
    - Cian Tormey's art seems interesting.

Meh
    - Wilson's run had some interesting ideas but her run was so lackluster, so can't say she's a strong endorsement.

Bad
    - Seems like another possible setup for DC to try and center WW's world around Yara. So another attempt by DC to say they like WW for the branding but Diana and the ideas herself they could do without.
    - Can't say I'm interested in WW-partly focused story where she appears to be antagonist. This definitely won't make me more interested in Yara if they pull the "Parallax card" with Diana in order to justify taking the WW title away.

So not terribly interested in this, hopefully my predictions are wrong but DC hasn't earned any leeway when it comes to Diana in their content.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-02-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Could be interesting. Nice that WW/Shazam are finally working together.

Ill wait to see why she does what she does.

And hopefully they don't forget Donna/Cassie but we'll see.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    This sounds awful.

I'm always shocked at how much mileage varies because I think this sounds super exciting. I like Yara, and I'm excited that DC is doing so much to promote the Wonder Girl title - I mean the literal title not a comic book. Wonder Woman and Shazam are a natural team-up that I'm excited to see come to fruition. I can't wait.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The Good

Wonder Woman is getting an event focused on her.

Teaming up with Shazam which is long overdue.

The Bad

First, G. Willow Wilson? The writer who jumped ship in the middle of a big storyline she started for a better opportunity who left Steve Orlando to clean up her mess? I don't hate the woman but who knows if she'll even finish this limited series given her history.

The event also focuses on the public domain gods. I'm beyond tired of DC propping them up instead of their own creations like Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Poison, Dr. Psycho, & Queen Clea.

The artist for the main story is unknown to me. Why can't DC put a bigger name on an event book for Diana?

Diana ascending to Olympus again? Yawn...

At the end of the day, this event is dead in the water to me. Sorry DC.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 12-02-2022 at 05:31 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Diana would never align herself with the gods over mortals. That goes against her very nature.
    Maybe this is connected to her Mother.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The Good

The Bad

First, G. Willow Wilson? The writer who jumped ship in the middle of a big storyline she started for a better opportunity who left Steve Orlando to clean up her mess? I don't hate the woman but who knows if she'll even finish this limited series given her history.

The event also focuses on the public domain gods. I'm beyond tired of DC propping them up instead of their own creations like Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Poison, Dr. Psycho, & Queen Clea.
    I'm hoping the limited series will give Wilson the focus she quickly lost during her Wonder Woman tenure. I hope she sees this as her chance to make retribution and really want to prove herself.

As for Diana's rogues, I agree that it's a bummer that they seem to have little or no role in this event. However, DC has done a better job of refocusing on her rogues so this event without them seems okay. I just hope this doesn't become a habit.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I'm hoping the limited series will give Wilson the focus she quickly lost during her Wonder Woman tenure. I hope she sees this as her chance to make retribution and really want to prove herself.
    I feel the same. A tight 4-issue event is a lot easier to work with than a full run. And GWW has more than proven herself elsewhere so I'm definitely willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and see her take another shot.

In general I'm intrigued. Yes, Diana's ascended to godhood before, but I'm curious to see how it goes here. I like that we're finally getting an in-continuity story that actually seems BIG after her book's been so low-stakes and it's awesome that they're doing a much-overdue Shazam fam collab, including Josie Campbell doing a Mary Marvel backup. And WOW is that Joelle Jones variant for WW #797 gorgeous!

Also curious about this "setting up Diana Prince’s story in Dawn of DC in 2023." Wonder if that means a new direction or creative team is coming (obvious assumption would be after #800)? Or maybe even a new WW title will be announced with the next crop of Dawn of DC announcements? Wishful thinking...

Incredible Member

Well I did say to give GWW another chance...

That being said the premise doesn't fully convince me, seems pretty by the numbers and simultaneously juggling too much for a 4-issue series.

Man, the patrons kind of suck, don't they? Like when was the last time they really did something nice for Diana? It's either she has to clean up their mess, they manipulate her, or blackmail her into helping them when they've gone full evil Gods. Is this meant to make Yara and her anti-God stance to look better?

It's kind of funny that Rucka probably had them at their best for how subtle their involvement in his Rebirth run was.

I think a lot of people will bristle at Yara and Billy seemingly being the more heroic leads over Diana (and, y'know, Wilson's track record with WW is far from proven), let alone Diana being an antagonist even if she's forced into it.

"Could godhood be the answer to all her problems?" - fat lot of good it did Hippolyta. Heck, didn't Diana reject as the main point of the end of the first arc of the Cloonan/Conrad run?

Yeah, after she'd ascended at the end of Death Metal.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

They really failed at not having 3 interlocking covers that create one giant spread across the 3 issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "Could godhood be the answer to all her problems?" - fat lot of good it did Hippolyta. Heck, didn't Diana reject as the main point of the end of the first arc of the Cloonan/Conrad run?
    Yeah it seems as if they forgotten everything that happened since the relaunch.

Also ridiculous that its 2 issues and we have 2 artists on the main story by the 2nd issue. Is how bad things have gotten at DC that they cant even have continuity in art for 2 full issues
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 12-02-2022 at 05:04 PM.