Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I thought it was ok.

I feel like with as long as Diana has been dealing with the Gods off/on throughout her tenure as WW, she should be a bit more sure of herself.

It was nice to see various Gods, even if they all recited the same thing as if they were under mind control.

I still wonder where are the likes of Aphrodite/Artemis/Athena? They've been largely ignored and being Gods that would more likely be on team Amazon/humanity you would think we would've seen them before this. Especially with Hera getting Aphrodites son in on her plans. Hopefully they arent completely forgotten and show up.

It'll still be very strange if Cassie does not show up in this battle considering she, herself is the daughter/grand-daughter of Zeus and has ties to Olympus.

The backup that focuses solely on the Amazons...I still hope that we see a Faruka that hasnt just suddenly accepted the new status quo. But the Amazons being stripped of everything...never been a fan of that type of storytelling.

How many times will Diana be turned into a goddess?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I thought it was ok.

I feel like with as long as Diana has been dealing with the Gods off/on throughout her tenure as WW, she should be a bit more sure of herself.

It was nice to see various Gods, even if they all recited the same thing as if they were under mind control.

I still wonder where are the likes of Aphrodite/Artemis/Athena? They've been largely ignored and being Gods that would more likely be on team Amazon/humanity you would think we would've seen them before this. Especially with Hera getting Aphrodites son in on her plans. Hopefully they arent completely forgotten and show up.

It'll still be very strange if Cassie does not show up in this battle considering she, herself is the daughter/grand-daughter of Zeus and has ties to Olympus.

The backup that focuses solely on the Amazons...I still hope that we see a Faruka that hasnt just suddenly accepted the new status quo. But the Amazons being stripped of everything...never been a fan of that type of storytelling.

How many times will Diana be turned into a goddess?
    Many more times

Artemis is among the crowd of gods standing witness to Diana's plea. She's in her Historia attire. I also hope the writers have something big planned for the three.

Incredible Member

Awww... Not Daddy Zeus again. We were doing so well...

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

GWW had to ruin everything right from the start. Why didn't she leave the zeus origin in the trash can? I swear this woman is super annoying everytime she touches anything WW related.

Yeah, who thought it was a good idea to bring Wilson back? Daddy Zeus kills my interest.

I just can't be bothered with this storyline. I'm not sure if it's the fact that we literally just got one of the best depictions of Hera in Historia, if the Daddy Zeus stuff has soured me, if the plot is just sloppy, or if I'm falling out of love with comics.

The only thing that would save this story for me is if Cheetah somehow stabs everyone in the back and becomes the new Queen of Mount Olympus.

spoilers:
    So no one's going to make a Super Saiyan joke?
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I gotta say it is hilarious how Yara makes a big deal about Diana's Zeus parentage as if that means they'll go easy on her.

Especially since Hera has a long history of hating children born out of Zeus' extramarital affairs so Diana playing up that aspect of her would be literally the worst thing you can do in this situation.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I gotta say it is hilarious how Yara makes a big deal about Diana's Zeus parentage as if that means they'll go easy on her.

Especially since Hera has a long history of hating children born out of Zeus' extramarital affairs so Diana playing up that aspect of her would be literally the worst thing you can do in this situation.
    And i guess they've forgotten that Yara is a demi-goddess herself?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    spoilers:
    So no one's going to make a Super Saiyan joke?
    end of spoilers
    I was thinking Little Mermaid, honestly.

I don't think this issue was technically bad when taken in a total vacuum...but, in context, it unfortunately illustrates every damn disappointing thing WW's mythos has been saddled with in these past runs.

It's just so wild to me that they've brought out this prestigious, critically-acclaimed, universally-lauded Wonder Woman masterpiece in the form of Historia that has slews of readers going "yes this is it, we want this thing exactly" and then their immediate response was to make a mad dash in the literal opposite direction. Hera as the stereotypical misanthropic shrew instead of being Diana's greatest patron. Zeus as the sympathetic victim instead of her greatest foe, to say nothing of the sickening father retcon still being enforced. Gods overall depicted as generic supervillains instead of the majestic -- and even inspirational -- figures that command the page. On and on and on.

You can't even use the excuse that this story was being planned too long ago for them to vibe it with Historia; the first issue of Historia came out at the end of 2021, more than a year ago. They've had more than enough time to see the positive reaction to it and still said "Lol nah that doesn't sound right, WW's next event should be the polar opposite of that."

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    I don't think this issue was technically bad when taken in a total vacuum...but, in context, it unfortunately illustrates every damn disappointing thing WW's mythos has been saddled with in these past runs.

It's just so wild to me that they've brought out this prestigious, critically-acclaimed, universally-lauded Wonder Woman masterpiece in the form of Historia that has slews of readers going "yes this is it, we want this thing exactly" and then their immediate response was to make a mad dash in the literal opposite direction. Hera as the stereotypical misanthropic shrew instead of being Diana's greatest patron. Zeus as the sympathetic victim instead of her greatest foe, to say nothing of the sickening father retcon still being enforced. Gods overall depicted as generic supervillains instead of the majestic -- and even inspirational -- figures that command the page. On and on and on.

You can't even use the excuse that this story was being planned too long ago for them to vibe it with Historia; the first issue of Historia came out at the end of 2021, more than a year ago. They've had more than enough time to see the positive reaction to it and still said "Lol nah that doesn't sound right, WW's next event should be the polar opposite of that."
    Unfortunately, the Zeus origin is still used in other media.

Yeah, I try not to compare because they're separate projects and everything but eh...I don't really think I'm in on straightforward Hera villain depictions and Daddy Zeus looks even more underwhelming/unimpressive now that we had the beautiful ending scene from Historia #3.

Fantastic Member

Honestly, Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons makes it hard for me to read the Wonder Woman ongoing series. It's actually jarring to see Hera represented as the wicked witch stereotype after having read such a nuanced take on her in Historia. Reading most other Wonder Woman books now feels like being put on a diet of Jello and unseasoned chicken after having a four-course, Michelin-star meal.

I'm exaggerating, but you know when I mean.

Historia forever!

Curious, what do people here think about Hera in Azz's run?