"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Geez this art is some nightmare fuel. I LOVE IT!

Astonishing Member

I hope Nightfount's mask becomes as iconic and legendary as Magneto's helmet. Viva la crab face!

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

MajorDomo??? Ehhh not the same one who is from the Mojoverse I presume?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

I'm not quite sure why I'm so irritated by this new comicbook trend to tell stories set 1.000.000 years in the past of the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I'm not quite sure why I'm so irritated by this new comicbook trend to tell stories set 1.000.000 years in the past of the Marvel Universe.
    Because it goes against science and history just to make a big number.
    It's a trope I hate in SF in general, when they seem to create millenar unchanging civilisations. I find it unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Because it goes against science and history just to make a big number.
    It's a trope I hate in SF in general, when they seem to create millenar unchanging civilisations. I find it unnecessary.
    I think it worked quite beautifully in Hickman's first storyline but he also never really went anywhere with it after House of X/Powers of X. I also liked Morrison's Here Comes Tomorrow as an epic ending for his run.

but most of the time in SF, I completely loose interest the moments all characters and storylines become replaced by jumping millions of years into the future or now past. I find it quite a far stretch to imagine that what we do here and now has a consequence for a civilization 1.000.000 years into the future...100 years, 200 years, 400 years ok...but everything else...not here for this.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Nice to have your name printed on your leg so people can tell you apart...

I think it worked quite beautifully in Hickman's first storyline but he also never really went anywhere with it after House of X/Powers of X. I also liked Morrison's Here Comes Tomorrow as an epic ending for his run.

but most of the time in SF, I completely loose interest the moments all characters and storylines become replaced by jumping millions of years into the future or now past. I find it quite a far stretch to imagine that what we do here and now has a consequence for a civilization 1.000.000 years into the future...100 years, 200 years, 400 years ok...but everything else...not here for this.
    Yep. Maybe it's because I only have my own framework here but the scale is way too big. Look how much we advanced in like 3000 years.
    Hickman kinda worked because the civilisational jump between era seemed plausible.

Astonishing Member

It also worked to highlight that the post-human's ability to basicly give themself any super power they desire and seemingly never having faced any challenges again, has also made them creatively sterile and robbed them of any motivation, which is why they desired to "ascend to a higher form of life" by getting absorbed by the Phallanx.

Which explains why 1000 years into the future they still only hang around on Earth, apperently doing nothing anymore.

The lack of progress and advancement being therefor intentional.

Doesn't help that these kinds of stories are usualy more about concepts, civilizations and philosophies, often involving the idea of repeating cycles, with characters and their personal stories being downplayed or trivialized since they only serve to prop up the world story instead.

Contrast stories taking place in far away futures, but which remain stuck there as setting in order to provide the groundwork for characters or groups and their personal stories instead.