Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spidey Stories you Love Returning to.

Turlast started a thread about Stories you read and dont want to return to.

So I thought it would be fun to start a thread about stories that you love and always seem to return to. Be they single issues or a story arc.

I will start off.

Amazing Spiderman 16 Duel with Daredevil.

I love this issue a couple reasons. Number 1 it is one of the first Spiderman stories I ever read. It was in a trade backer back I got from a used Book store called Tom's Book Nook in my home town. I love Spiderman and loved this story. it was the first time I saw heroes teaming up with each otehr and I love Daredevil's yellow costume. Also when I was in prison my mom ordered me a trade with this story in it and I read it many times over the 4 years I was there. I can recite that issue panel for panel.

I also really love the Superior Spiderman run. I can read that over and over and still enjoy it as if it were the first time.

I can also read anything related to the Clone Saga or Clones. I am one of the few people that put The Clone Saga in the top 5

And lastly I love Scarlett Spider. The one with Khaine where he is in Huston. It had a great supporting cast and some good stories.

So how about you all. What Spidey stories do you keep going back to?
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-04-2022 at 04:29 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Astonishing Member CaptainUniverse's Avatar

Oh god...um...just 616 stuff right? Or is any Spidey story free game? Well...anyways...

The first appearance of Venom and the Return of Venom which I have together in Gallery Edition form.
    The Cosmic Spider-Man/Acts of Vengeance saga is one I always go back to, I even lucked out on finding the original trade a few years back at a comic book store, so now I don't have to dig out my individuals when I want to read it.
    Clone Saga...I've actually never read the whole thing, I only have bits and pieces of it but my favorite parts are Peter reconciling with MJ and finding out he's going to be a dad, Ben turning into Spider-Carnage and Aunt May dying.
    Identity Crisis (ASM #405) Mary Jane beats the Chameleon up with a baseball bat, so great!
    The Identity Crisis event is another one I love going back to, especially the parts with Dusk.
    ASM #425: A pumped up Electro vs. Spider-Man and X-Man. Definitely a great comic.
    The Carnage Cosmic saga (ASM #430-431) is yet another one of my all-time favorite Spider-Man stories of all time.
    I don't remember the issue number but it has Psyche and Plantman in it.
    "The Enigma Force is not a tool to be manipulated by mortals. The Enigma Force comes to those it deems worthy. What temerity, what arrogance, makes you think you are worthy? Have you not all made mistakes? Unforgiveable ones?" - Captain Universe

"Call me an Avenging Angel, Baron, come to safeguard Earth...call me CAPTAIN UNIVERSE!" - Ray Coffin

"You're my heart, Mary Jane Watson...you're my jackpot." - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

So I thought it would be fun to start a thread about stories that you love and always seem to return to. Be they single issues or a story arc.

I will start off.

I love this issue a couple reasons. Number 1 it is one of the first Spiderman stories I ever read. It was in a trade backer back I got from a used Book store called Tom's Book Nook in my home town. I love Spiderman and loved this story. it was the first time I saw heroes teaming up with each otehr and I love Daredevil's yellow costume. Also when I was in prison my mom ordered me a trade with this story in it and I read it many times over the 4 years I was there. I can recite that issue panel for panel.

I also really love the Superior Spiderman run. I can read that over and over and still enjoy it as if it were the first time.

I can also read anything related to the Clone Saga or Clones. I am one of the few people that put The Clone Saga in the top 5

And lastly I love Scarlett Spider. The one with Khaine where he is in Huston. it had a great supporting cast and some good stories.

Great choices, dude! And a heartwarming post--really appreciate you sharing. Much love your way.

My first ever comic was Ultimate Spidey 8(or nine--the shocker\daily bugle issue), and from there and up until the switch to Immonen is a fave.

In ASM my fave ever period is JMS\JRJR. Just lovely, heartfelt stuff. Both put their whole chest into those stories. Dan Slott from Big Time to Spider-Island, and then Superior are standouts. The OG 70s clone saga and the 80s Hobgoblin saga. Jenkins\Ramos's Death in the family. Unsheduled Stop\New Ways to Die\Shed from OMD

And an extra mention to the 1994 Spider-man TAS. Fundamental Spidey, to me.

BANNED

-Lee/Ditko
    -Harry Osborn drug trilogy
    -Death of the Stacys
    -Otto/Owl War
    -ASM#200
    -Roger Stern Hobgoblin Saga
    -Alien Costume Saga
    -The Build To The Wedding and The Wedding itself
    -ASM#300
    -Return and Revenge of the Sinister Six
    -Funeral Arrangements, still the finest Vulture story ever written
    -Harry Osborn saga in Spectacular Spider-Man.
    -Carnage's debut trilogy
    -30th anniversary Lizard story (with the all too rare aged-up Billy Connors)
    -Lifetheft/Pursuit
    -Clone Saga (all of it, even the parts that never led anywhere)
    -Spider-Girl (still the real timeline to me)
    -All of JMS/John Romita Jr.
    -Marvel Knights Spider-Man From Mark Miller
    -Hot take here...Sins Past (I suppose if you want the low-down on Kindred's origins it's a decent read in retrospect also)
    -Real Clone Saga 2009 (another quasi-decent jumping off point)
    -New Ways To Die (one of Slott's best)
    -Superior Team-Up issue with Norman and Otto
    -Renew Your Vows (Slott, Conway and Houser runs)
    -Nick Spencer's ASM (best run in years)
    -Amazing Mary Jane
    -Doc Ock/Aunt May team-up from Beyond
    -Black Cat/MJ Beyond

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainUniverse View Post
    Oh god...um...just 616 stuff right? Or is any Spidey story free game? Well...anyways...

Any Spidey story is free game
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Great choices, dude! And a heartwarming post--really appreciate you sharing. Much love your way.

My first ever comic was Ultimate Spidey 8(or nine--the shocker\daily bugle issue), and from there and up until the switch to Immonen is a fave.

In ASM my fave ever period is JMS\JRJR. Just lovely, heartfelt stuff. Both put their whole chest into those stories. Dan Slott from Big Time to Spider-Island, and then Superior are standouts. The OG 70s clone saga and the 80s Hobgoblin saga. Jenkins\Ramos's Death in the family. Unsheduled Stop\New Ways to Die\Shed from OMD

And an extra mention to the 1994 Spider-man TAS. Fundamental Spidey, to me.
    Thank you And you have some great choices also. The Hobgoblin Saga was a fun read. I first got hip to Hob Goblin during Spiderman TAS. I had not read many Spiderman comic and when I saw The Hobgoblin I did not know he was a character in the comics and thought he was their replacement for The Green Goblin. But on many levels I enjoy Hobgoblin more then Green Goblin.

Mark Hamill went erm ham on that role! Still the hobgoblin voice I hear whenever I read him

Astonishing Member

Good thread! Some much needed positivity.

And I think it’s important to note this isn’t a BEST OF list… for example on a Best Of list, I’d include Kraven’s Last Hunt, Death of Jean DeWolff, Kid Who Collected Spider-Man… but none of those are light reads I like to repeatedly pick up. Here’s my list of issues or arcs I’m thrilled to flick through any time. You’ll notice a common theme is they’re mostly lighthearted. The big emotional stories are great, but I have to be in a particular mood for something heavy. So anyway, without further ado…

Amazing Spider-Man #578-579 Unscheduled Stop… pretty much the only BND story I LOVE enough to regularly revisit (definitely not rereading Freak or Menace stories). Just a classic romp with a unique premise. Mark Waid on writing. Plus that gorgeous Marcos Martin art…

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Amazi...-Man_Vol_1_578

Amazing Spider-Man #267 The Commuter Cometh… Spidey chases a bad guy into the burbs. Hijinks ensue. Probably the funniest one-off issue of Spidey I’ve ever read. Peter David wrote a few hilarious tales (like the one with Spider-Kid and Leapfrog) but this was his best.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Amazi...-Man_Vol_1_267

Sensational Spider-Man #8 The Usual Suspects… coming towards the end of the Clone Saga when most readers had either checked out or were just biding time until the saga finally concluded, this is probably the most forgotten issue on this list, and yet it’s also probably the funniest Spider-BEN issue. Loot, loot, LOOT!! Todd Dezago and Mike Wieringo (RIP) made a fantastic team.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Sensa...er-Man_Vol_1_8

Web of Spider-Man #38 “Moving Up” … if “Commuter Cometh” is the funniest, this is probably the second. Spider-Man drunk on hard punch (spiked by Mrs Muggins ne’er do well husband) vs the Hobgoblin… what more could anyone want? Believe this one is by Fabian Nicieza.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Web_o...r-Man_Vol_1_38

Amazing Spider-Man #271 “Whatever happened to Crusher Hogan?”… we finally get an update on the TRUE star of AF#15… and things aren’t too good for him. Spidey needs to bail his old wrestling sparring partner out of trouble. Great story by DeFalco.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Amazi...-Man_Vol_1_271

That’s just a sampling because if I made an exhaustive list I’d be here for hours. But the above are all issues I love picking up at any time, even if I just read them the day before.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

I will start off.

And lastly I love Scarlett Spider. The one with Khaine where he is in Huston. It had a great supporting cast and some good stories.

The Master Planner Saga ( ASM 31-33). It has everything you can possibly want in a comic series.

For me, the Clone Saga is the ultimate "go back and reread it" run of Spidey comics. It's what I grew up with.

Within the larger run, I will say I've probably most often reread the Green Goblin series and the Scarlet Spider issues (even if they are trash stories!) along with all the New Warriors issues that feature Ben. That period is my favorite guilty pleasure.

Post-Clone Saga, I've definitely reread the Identity Crisis issues along with the Slingers series a lot; I'm also very fond of the PP:SM issues by Mackie/JRjr that feature SHOC, Morbius, and Hydra. Read those issues quite a lot.

Oh, and I've also given Spider-Man: Fever plenty of read-throughs. Really enjoy it. So offbeat and weird.

-Pav, who highly recommends it...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Fantastic Member

Anything from #200-300.

Good question. I like rereading favorite runs, like Lee/ Ditko, Lee/ Romita, Roger Stern, Peter David's 80s work, Bendis/ Bagley Ultimate Spider-Man, Wells, Slott, JMS/ Romita Jr, Jenkins/ Buckingham. There are a handful of self-contained stories like Kraven's Last Hunt, or Spider-Man: Blue I like rereading.

There are different moods to these. Untold Tales of Spider-Man is denser that the more cinematic storytelling of the 21st Century, but sometimes I'm in the mood for it.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Incredible Member

More of a trade waiter so my choices lean into that but

JMS the first two omnibus of his run. Includes the Aunt May reveal, highlights how much stronger the stories are when she knows and the reconciliation of Peter and MJ shows how good a strong writer can handle that kind of material. Only flaw was a lot of his stories were at night so it tended to feel way too much like Batman.

I have the original trade for Kravens Last Hunt, really good, fantastic last stand of a villain. Gets the claustrophobia of being buried alive and Peters anger at Kraven for taking him away from MJ.

First trade of Spider-girl. MC2 was really good idea and Amazing Spider-girl feels just as strong quality wise as the normal title. Villains are unique. I did find a lot of the MC2 situations for other characters odd however.

@HypnoHulstler (Didnt quote your whole post for space.)

Sensational Spider-Man #8 The Usual Suspects was a great read and one of my favorite single issues. There are a couple high lights. The first for me is when Spidey comes to know that the villains everyone thinks are committing the crimes are not the ones doing it because the crimes were one and done and not a spree.

Also when Spidey is webbed up and Looter explains that he "Looted the Looters." to commit the crimes to raise money to buy the meteor and he asks The looter if he was such a great big thief why didnt he just steal the meteor in the first place. The Looters response is classic

"I never thought of that." When I read that I died laughing.

The Looter has a couple I never thought of that moments in Spidey history. The above example but first was in Marvel Team up when his cell mate asked him if he had all this power why he didnt just use it to break out of jail. And The Looter of course

"It never occurred to me."
    Last edited by babyblob; 12-04-2022 at 12:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

The '90s clone saga
    The Return of the Sinister Six
    Untold Tales of Spider-Man
    The original Spider-Girl
    Deadly Foes of Spider-Man