Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    You think so? I would've thought that Danny got a show because of Brubaker?

IMO, I mean before Bendis Luke's titles were abysmal
    They sure didn't seem to show it in the actual show.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They sure didn't seem to show it in the actual show.
    they barely even showed any decent kung fu

Marvel/Netflix wanted to do a street level (dark, gritty, serious, low budget, especially on special effects) to follow on Daredevil's success. Not many Marvel characters fit the bill. Jessica Jones (sure, that's all on Bendis, even if she only exists because they didn't give him Jessica "Spider-Woman" Drew), Luke (as, most of the time, a low tier brick) and Iron Fist (martial artist) seemed to be right for it. And that is where, IMHO, they got it all wrong. JJ was a PI. So, good, and they mostly followed her story with the Purple Man. Luke hit problems when they dropped the whole super-hero for hire thing, that was Luke's main distinction during most of his early carreer. They didn't want the flashy costumes and big budget villains and exploxions. Still, they got some of his early villains redone well enough, and it got to work. However, Iron Fist is where they got it all wrong. Despite being a product of the 70's martial arts films trend (same way Luke was a product of the blaxpoitation era) Danny origins were pure fantasy and magic (dawm, he got his powers from a freakin dragon). In eliminating, or at least toning down, his ties with the magical civilization of Kun'Lun, they, IMHO, erased exactly what made the character stand out (and, as others have pointed out, even the kung-fu was kind of crappy). Maybe, Shang Chi, Moon Knight or Black Cat would've been better, but they all had their own problems (Shang-Chi's orinin had some copyrights problems to which they gound a sollution in the movie, Moon Knight also had potential budget problems with all his equipment, and the ties his origin had to Egypt, and Black Cat was tied to the Spider-verse, which was out of Marvel's grasp). Even the Defenders series, which IMHO should have been called Marvel Knights, had some problems with the typical super-hero action. The Punisher was a good spin-off series, though. So, longwined way of saying that, no, I don't think Luke was used for anything Bendis did with him. Have to say, with the crap that Marvel/Disney has been putting out in the last few years, I miss some of the gritty Netflix series, even if I don't usually like things like that.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 12-07-2022 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    WCA also introduced the Living Lightning and featured Firebird in many issues (and I particularly wish she'd been featured in a whole lot more).

Peace
    Definitely check out the second-half of Busiek's Avengers, Firebird appears throughout quite frequently before the end of Busiek's run...

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-08-2022 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.