Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What is mutant magic?

Even after the end of Excalibur and X of Swords, I still couldn’t understand what is mutant magic. What is it exactly?

Mighty Member

Something Tini threw out and didn't think about beyond the whole Krakoa branding of everything.

Shoulda never put any weight into it when none of the notable Magic Mutants bothered with it.

Astonishing Member

The way i see it. A pretentious attempt at trying to mystify mutants and their super powers by claiming theire X-gene is somehow more special than other source of super powers, even though evidence shows that any kind of super powers can effectively combined with magic and nothing from Excalibur or Knights of X stood out above that.

They way i understand it. Using X-gene based super powers in synergy with correlatable magical forces to improve one or the other.

Something which as mentioned above is not unique to mutants and their super powers alone, but fit into the general theme of "Mutants are the most awesome and unique now" that was pushed at the beginning of Hickman's narrative, similar to "mutant technology".

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    The way i see it. A pretentious attempt at trying to mystify mutants and their super powers by claiming theire X-gene is somehow more special than other source of super powers, even though evidence shows that any kind of super powers can effectively combined with magic and nothing from Excalibur or Knights of X stood out above that.

They way i understand it. Using X-gene based super powers in synergy with correlatable magical forces to improve one or the other.

Something which as mentioned above is not unique to mutants and their super powers alone, but fit into the general theme of "Mutants are the most awesome and unique now" that was pushed at the beginning of Hickman's narrative, similar to "mutant technology".
    Admittedly I haven’t given it so much too much thought since Excalibur one, but I think of it as a throwback to old-school Excalibar 50, and which all five members combined to fix the multiverse. The origins of their powers was a mutation, yes, but with that they undid merlins magic and so together made magic.

BANNED

If one wants to truly understand "Mutant Magic" one only has to study Ororo's canonical, extensive, genetic ancestry being that Magic, Witchcraft, and Godhood (via Oshtur who favors the bloodline of the mutant Storm) have been passed down through her maternal family line along with the inheritance of the X-Gene since the dawn of time
    Last edited by Micabe; 12-05-2022 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Typo Correction(s).

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Whatever the writer needs it to be basically

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    Admittedly I haven’t given it so much too much thought since Excalibur one, but I think of it as a throwback to old-school Excalibar 50, and which all five members combined to fix the multiverse. The origins of their powers was a mutation, yes, but with that they undid merlins magic and so together made magic.
    Yeah basically something like this. When Rictor attempts a spell to "find" the lost Betsy, he had each of the members use their powers to add to the spell. So in a way mutant powers can work as ingredients but it fell flat.
    I think a much better way to explore it would have been to dig into the fact that Betsy is both a mutant and an Otherworld being, and what that could mean.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post

That has to be the most succinct and plausible explanation that I've read to date. Thanks for that!

It's like regular magic except they put the word mutant in front of it.

You know how Batman likes to put the word Bat in front of all his stuff. That's what mutants do now.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's something Illyana has been doing since 1982.

It's the lighter-than-air feeling you get when you see Hellion. Him just being on the page is a magical experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Is magic practiced by a mutant, like brazilian magic is magic practiced by brazilians.

In the mutant case, they could use their powers to improve the magic or vice-versa? Like, if Pyro learns a spell to generate fire he won't need his flametrowers anymore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

You know how Batman likes to put the word Bat in front of all his stuff. That's what mutants do now.
    Ororo's Mutant Bottled Water?

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Is magic practiced by a mutant, like brazilian magic is magic practiced by brazilians.

In the mutant case, they could use their powers to improve the magic or vice-versa? Like, if Pyro learns a spell to generate fire he won't need his flametrowers anymore.
    Or, St. John Allerdyce could just undergo a secondary mutation that not only allowed him to generate his own flame but also gives him the ability to totally tank nearly anything any other pyrokinetic can throw at him be they baseline human, mutant human, or magic-based human.
    Last edited by Micabe; 12-05-2022 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

Batmagic!?

Quote Originally Posted by ETMike1988 View Post
    Batmagic!?
    It exists actually. -_-'

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Batmage_(Dark_Multiverse)