Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #9 - Review/Spoilers

What a fun ride! I actually laughed loudly several times.

The QC is meeting and Kitty is narrating. "Everything was just... normal", or as normal as things could be after Judgment Day. Xavier won't discuss Erik, Kurt has his horns. They're discussing the state of things after the war with the Eternals. Storm says the Arakkii are hurt but proud and satisfied with the spoils of victory. The treaty with the Eternals, the alliance, reparations, and the keys to Uranos for an hour. Magneto's death seems to have convinced them of the Krakoan's sincerity and there's a better understanding between the two.

"A toast to optimism!" Shaw is me pretty much this whole issue.

Orchis being hailed as heroes is a problem but for the most part Kitty reflects on how everything else is settled and everyone is happy. Except Exodus who isn't a fan of sharing the resurrection protocols with humans. Kitty gives a speech of how it's great that Jean is running the Phoenix Foundation, how it's ethically a great thing to help children in dire need, and it's good optics for those without a heart. Exodus remains pouty but this was really cute.

Kitty thinks, "We've been through hell but we're all mutants, pulling together... maybe the Quiet Council can work?"

Then Sinister enters. Emma brings up their remaining order of business, Dr. Stasis. But before they can start, Destiny tells Exodus that Sinister is about to kill Hope. Sinister, pulling out a gun, "Wha..? You spoilsport!" Exodus TK explodes half of Sinister's body off and Hope punches what's left. Kitty, "What's going on?"

Moira VI.1 death.

We get the preview pages where Destiny is messing with Sinister for not being judged by the Celestial. Sinister returns to his lair and posits that he only has about 10 chances to kill the QC. He orders his subordinates to watch the feeds and if the feeds or his life signals are cut for five seconds, they are to activate the Moira VI fail-safe and kill the timeline.

Data page of the QC seating chart with Sinister ranking each member by kill priority. Attempt 1 resulted in his own death. He makes 8 more attempts.

Sinister sets off a bomb at the council chambers but Destiny warned everyone so they weren't there. They find Sinister, Exodus exploding him again. Moira VI.2 death.

Sinister enters the chambers and Mystique jumps him into a chokehold. Destiny tells the group he's going to kill her and Hope. Hope borrows Exodus' powers and explodes Sinister. Moira IV.3 death.

Sinister tries several times, in some instances succeeding in killing some of them before he's stopped and killed. He comes in with battle suits, is fried by Storm, friend by Hope borrowing Storm's powers. One battle suit fritzes out and he kills himself.

We then get the funniest data page I've ever seen.

Sinister has Dark Beast in a tube and asks for his advice but Dark Beast demands to be released. Sinister: "Nope, Dark Beast. You'd be sad if you came out anyway. You're not even the darkest Beast anymore." LOL! He has one last attempt remaining and then he'll be forced to return to Moira V meaning doing Judgment Day all over again.

Attempt #10:
    The QC is celebrating and having some drinks. Storm flies off as there are some mercenaries to deal with on Arakko (did Sinister set them up to distract her?). Sinister enters and says he's been accused by a psychic imprint from Scott and wants the telepaths to prove his innocence. They agree and he offers them a vision. But the vision is a cluster of Xavier brains he has cloned and turned into a psychic bomb. Destiny warns them to disconnect but it's too late. The cloned brains give one command: "TK pulse, torso height." Most of the members dive for cover but Emma and Xavier are killed. Exodus and Hope remain because they are indestructible but still in the telepathic trance. Sinister places a communion wafer, mixed with Gambit's and Leland's powers, into Exodus' mouth and his head explodes. He's out. No longer mimicking his powers, Hope is no longer indestructible. Sinister shoots her with hollow bullets embedded with Unus the Untouchables' genes, generating force fields inside Hope that expands and kills her. Sinister disappears leaving the others in chaos.

The protocols are in danger now. Piotr mentions the contingencies and that though they're not tested, they could work. They need to bring Hope back.

Destiny says she can find him and Kitty says, "Good. Then let's go dig this bastard out of whatever hole he's hiding in...

Last edited by JB; 12-07-2022 at 08:25 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

This was awesome and really sets the stage for whatever insanity Sins of Sinister has in store. I love the rapid-fire pace of the multiple murder attempts and the art was gorgeous.
    (X-Men Red was outstanding as well but I have to run so if someone wants to tackle that review thread, please do! What a week for X-Books!)

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

So those theories of Xavier being thrown in the pit seem unlikely now.

God I hope that the big Choice foreshadowed in Red is not just Xavier letting Sinister out of the pit and then him killing them all again

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    So those theories of Xavier being thrown in the pit seem unlikely now.

God I hope that the big Choice foreshadowed in Red is not just Xavier letting Sinister out of the pit and then him killing them all again
    Most of what I know about the X-line is from threads like this, but if Sabretooth was able to do what he did on the pit, what Xavier could do in there?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

What the **** did I just read?
    "Cable was right!"

can someone explain what happened?

Astonishing Member

Oh god their going to give Sinister’s seat to Beast aren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    can someone explain what happened?
    Essentially Sinister has moved on to the next phase of his plan which is to kill the Quiet Council now that he has survived Judgment Day. He has a Moira clone set up and he instructs his lackeys in his lab to kill her and reset the timeline if he's unsuccessful in surviving his attempts to kill the QC. Most of the issue is him trying over and over again but they stop him 9 times, so the timeline is reset each time. Because of the complexity of Moira's powers, every clone copy is "terribly tatty" as he says, and he realizes he only has about 10 attempts before they don't really work anymore. On his final attempt he's successful with killing his primary target (Hope) and some of the others. Now he's on the run and the protocols are in danger.

Like I said last issue, now that I know this is essentially a Sinister series I can measure my expectations and this was actually a pretty fun ride. Kate didn’t have much to do, but we did get a nod to her bisexuality. I like that they didn’t dumb everyone down too much since sinister at best could take down 4 of the QC with multiple attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Oh god their going to give Sinister’s seat to Beast aren’t they?
    That would be insane and right in line with everything else going on. I guess it's pretty much confirmed that the Hank in X-Force is indeed Not Dark Beast.

So what exactly was Storm doing while everyone was getting blown to bits, beside look fabulous…
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    That would be insane and right in line with everything else going on. I guess it's pretty much confirmed that the Hank in X-Force is indeed Not Dark Beast.

Somehow this was the biggest gut punch for me. I know Beast’s arc in X-Force is also moving forward today and I was really hoping they’d take the Dark Beast route.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    So what exactly was Storm doing while everyone was getting blown to bits, beside look fabulous…
    She was Distracted by Mercenaries on Arakko. Most likely Sinister doing to get her away.

She was basically just there. The last attempt though she went to arakko to deal with soen thieves but that was just lilely a sinister ploy to get distract her. Whilst he deals with the council.
    Ororo Munroe is Twilight Sparkle in xmen red if that makes sense.

So Sinister is killed usually before she even needs to act, and she herself puts him down at least once.

I'll clean up the review so it makes a little more sense but on the 10th attempt, she leaves before Sinister arrives. His scribbled-on data page just before that notes that he needs to distract her. She leaves saying there's an issue with mercenaries on Arakko so I suspect he had something to do with that to get her off the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    [/B]

Somehow this was the biggest gut punch for me. I know Beast’s arc in X-Force is also moving forward today and I was really hoping they’d take the Dark Beast route.
    It's like the X-Office knows we're suspecting Dark Beast and they're laughing at us.

The nod to Kitty's bisexuality was great.