Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I increasingly think the endpoint of the Beast storyline is going to be that someone kills him and resurrects him with a super old backup, at least pre-Krakoa if not earlier (pre AvX, even?). That would circle back to the dropped Domino subplot where she was resurrected as her pre-Krakoa self.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakoa View Post
    I increasingly think the endpoint of the Beast storyline is going to be that someone kills him and resurrects him with a super old backup, at least pre-Krakoa if not earlier (pre AvX, even?). That would circle back to the dropped Domino subplot where she was resurrected as her pre-Krakoa self.
    But, didn't they establish that it's the same soul, though? The soul would just have the memories of the older Beast, but it's still the same soul that committed those atrocities. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if that'd be the case, I just thought that I remembered that the Scarlet Witch established the waiting room for mutant souls to be resurrected.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    But, didn't they establish that it's the same soul, though? The soul would just have the memories of the older Beast, but it's still the same soul that committed those atrocities. Don't get me wrong, I'd love if that'd be the case, I just thought that I remembered that the Scarlet Witch established the waiting room for mutant souls to be resurrected.
    To be fair the whole soul aspect has never been directly adressed and remains a vague element of the whole RP system, with at best indirect insistence that the soul somehow returns to the new body via the implantation of digital stored memories.

So there might even be a loophole that the current Beast lacked the original's soul because of a past, yet unrevealed, event.

To me that feels like a fundamentally interesting question to explore in this era -- this both is and isn't the same person.

Do you think Hank is possessed by John Sublime?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    To be fair the whole soul aspect has never been directly adressed and remains a vague element of the whole RP system, with at best indirect insistence that the soul somehow returns to the new body via the implantation of digital stored memories.

So there might even be a loophole that the current Beast lacked the original's soul because of a past, yet unrevealed, event.
    To me that feels like a fundamentally interesting question to explore in this era -- this both is and isn't the same person.
    Didn't we just introduce an older version of Laura despite a younger version running around? So clearly there's something up with the souls and the resurrection protocols.

I personnaly think they should steer clear from the "soul" discussion.
    I really do NOT care about it at all, and I'm not sure Hickman planned anything with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I really do NOT care about it at all, and I'm not sure Hickman planned anything with it.
    I agree. Just bring back an old Hank(maybe circa 92?) and say "This is Beast before he did all those bad things" and leave it at that.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Resurrecting an earlier version of Hank feels too much like a Get Out of Jail Free Card to me, I would much rather he be held accountable for what he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Resurrecting an earlier version of Hank feels too much like a Get Out of Jail Free Card to me, I would much rather he be held accountable for what he has done.
    But that's the problem: the things he's done(especially to Logan) are so unforgivable that he can never go back to being a hero again unless some excuse is made for his actions.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Immortal 9 established that spoilers:
    Dark Beast is still alive so if they want to say his backups are corrupted by that it could work
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Kind of a problem to base your central storytelling device on souls not being proven phenomenon when it literally takes place in a universe where they objectively exist, so honestly I blame Hickman for pushing it onto other writers to solve.

Astonishing Member

Reality warpers have been used to bring people back from the dead without the soul discussion so often that tbh even without the Waiting Room I say just officially make that Proteus’ contribution to the circuit.

Egg provides the base ingredients, the raw primordial stuff of organic life, then Elixir turns that into the body they had, Proteus regathers or collects the soul, Tempus realigns the body and soul to this new point in the timeline so they’re rewoven directly into the fabric of time/space, can ‘re-enter’ the natural order of things so cosmic entities all about destiny and fate see this recreated person as natural and able to be part of all that, and Hope synergizes the whole circuit so all of it happens in harmony like a true rebirth rather than a haphazard Frankenstein cobbling of one thing patched to another, thus negating things like the body and soul being out of sync or weird existential phenomena….and then Cerebra is used to restore memories and the sense of self similar to how telepaths have preserved other characters’ psyches for later reintegration with a comatose body, etc. Its just the Ark recording and containing the personal details mutants accrue through life experiences versus the stuff that’s innate to the self as a base starting point…aka the domain of the Five.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 12-07-2022 at 02:35 PM.

Beast will join Brand and become a member of Orchis first. He will be killed and reset to the nineties only after Orchis is destroyed, or the Krakoa status quo ends, or after the writers get bored of Orchis and stop using it...

How resurrection works is REALLY vague and confusing. Does the Waiting Room really ensures that the soul is stored and deposited in the new body? If so, do all the souls of dead mutants go there, or only the souls of mutants who use it as a Suicide Room? They are still resurrecting mutants using the old method, Cerebro backups and so... why would they do that, if every dead mutant's soul goes to the Waiting Room? Why not using the Waiting Room for everybody...?

But that's the problem: the things he's done(especially to Logan) are so unforgivable that he can never go back to being a hero again unless some excuse is made for his actions.
    That has never stopped Marvel before... They will reset him to a previous version, and everything is forgiven! And if they need an excuse, they will say he was possessed by the Demon Bear or something...
    Last edited by Habis; 12-07-2022 at 02:52 PM.

I think that would be the perfect way to finish this story off. After arc after arc of Hank messing with other folks agency and doing morally questionable things because it’s “right”, to have that turned on him by essentially erasing who he currently is because it’s the “right” thing to do would be deeply poetic.