Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default So what exactly did the New 52 reboot do to the Hal Jordan/Parallax situation?

It's often said that the FLASHPOINT reboot that created the New 52 DCU had minimum impact on the GL mythos (and the Batman mythos, but that's a different discussion). Let's examine how valid that claim is:

The most significant event in the GL mythos during the past twenty years was Green Lantern Hal Jordan's transformation into the villainous Parallax in the wake of the DEATH/RETURN OF SUPERMAN event. Hal's becoming Parallax would define the next ten years of the GL franchise, giving the mythos Kyle Rayner and eventually, after Hal's return, the Emotional Spectrum concept, which itself is drawing close to having dominated the mythos for a decade.

But in the New 52 scheme of things, did Hal ever become Parallax, cause the Zero Hour Crisis, redeem himself through self-sacrifice in the Sun Eater incident, and return as a living Green Lantern (after a period of personal purgatory as the Spectre) to lead the GL Corps against Sinestro and his allies? We almost never see allusions to Hal's Parallax period anymore; is it a part of current (New 52) GL continuity, and just how big a deal was it?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Seems it's been pretty clearly retconed with Jordan and the Corps return to prominence.
    Events still happened, but Parallax was an entity that consumed GLs through fear.
    The only ones who cling to the past version, are the ones who still hate Jordan's return LOL
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-30-2014 at 11:25 AM.

BANNED

Most of this is pretty much covered in Johns' last issue, although I don't recall the details right this second. But yes, I believe he was still briefly controlled by Parallax.

EDIT: Here we go:

gl20-3.jpg

The-Tale-of-Hal-Jordan.jpg
    Last edited by GlennSimpson; 09-30-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Most of this is pretty much covered in Johns' last issue, although I don't recall the details right this second. But yes, I believe he was still briefly controlled by Parallax.

EDIT: Here we go:

The-Tale-of-Hal-Jordan.jpg
    Thanks.

What doesn't add up for me, though, is that the claim the "GL mythos was unchanged by the FLASHPOINT reboot" and significant changes to Hal's experiences as Parallax seem mutually exclusive. Hal's turn to Parallax was THE GL STORY of the period between 1994 and 2005. DC can't significantly gut that period and then claim that minimal changes were made to the GL mythos. It'd be like removing a person's lungs and heart and saying that nothing was changed in his physiology.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Thanks.

What doesn't add up for me, though, is that the claim the "GL mythos was unchanged by the FLASHPOINT reboot" and significant changes to Hal's experiences as Parallax seem mutually exclusive. Hal's turn to Parallax was THE GL STORY of the period between 1994 and 2005. DC can't significantly gut that period and then claim that minimal changes were made to the GL mythos. It'd be like removing a person's lungs and heart and saying that nothing was changed in his physiology.

I don't know that DC has ever stated that the "GL mythos was unchanged by the FLASHPOINT reboot". I thought that was just an exaggeration by fans who observed that SOME of the previous history was still in place.

I don't know that DC has ever stated that the "GL mythos was unchanged by the FLASHPOINT reboot". I thought that was just an exaggeration by fans who observed that SOME of the previous history was still in place.
    It was definitely fans alot of things changed from Sinestro's corps war to Blackest Night.

Yeah...I can't quite buy into the idea that the GL and Batman franchises were largely spared the effects of the reboot, not when there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

When the New 52 came out, DC was in full damage control trying to appease the new fans that were coming in and the old fans who loved the old continuity. Things were said that, in hindsight, make no sense. IIRC, there was even a time when Jim Lee said Batman had been active for 10 years in the New 52.

Yeah...I can't quite buy into the idea that the GL and Batman franchises were largely spared the effects of the reboot, not when there's plenty of evidence to the contrary.
    I don't think the point was that nothing changed but that GL practically continued the pre-Flashpoint storyline in the New 52. And in the beginning it didn't really seem as if anything had really changed, even though we all knew that a lot of it had to have changed as it couldn't have happened the same way it originally did. But for quite a while you could practically read the New 52 Green Lantern as if it still took place in the old universe without having to make any adjustments.

We later got to see some flashbacks that told some of the details slightly different, but at the beginning it really did seem unaffected if you looked at the GL books isolated. At least that's how I remember it but it's been a couple of years now.

But in the New 52 scheme of things, did Hal ever become Parallax, cause the Zero Hour Crisis, redeem himself through self-sacrifice in the Sun Eater incident, and return as a living Green Lantern (after a period of personal purgatory as the Spectre) to lead the GL Corps against Sinestro and his allies? We almost never see allusions to Hal's Parallax period anymore; is it a part of current (New 52) GL continuity, and just how big a deal was it?
    ]

I gave up trying to figure that out a long time ago, simply because is exhausting and confusing.

If you think about it, The sinestro corps war and blackest night couldnt have developed the same way pre-Nu52 and Nu52. The sole fact that the antimonitor affected them both makes them different. And that's when you focus on the big things. Anyone would lose their mind trying to get ALL the facts straight.

So, i rather think "things kinda happened": Hal did become Parallax.
    Did he died reigniting the sun? i dont know, GL #20 wasn't clear about that. Im not even sure he died on the Nu52 continuity. GL #20 says he fought his way out of Parallax influence.
    Was he ever The Spectre? Yes (GL #20 KINDA proves it), but doesnt makes sense knowing the fact that Jim Corrigan has been around since Phantom Stranger screwed him over.
    Did Zero Hour happened? I have no idea. It may have.
    Did the Sinestro Corps war happened? Yes, GL #20 again, but it sure happened differently (No Superboy prime or Anti-monitor).
    I dont even think Blackest Night and Brigthest Day happened the same way. Aquaman, Firestorm and Hawkman have never died (as far as we know).

IF we have troubles determining if Brightest Day even happened they way it did in the pre-nu52, how close are we of knowing if Zero Hour or Final Night happened?

****, my brain feels like's gonna blow up lol.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

BANNED

No, they just have the distinction (when compared to, say, Firestorm) of having some stories from before the relaunch still count. That's the only difference.

Hal Jordan died in the New 52. I can't exactly remember the issue, but sometime recently he said that he's died twice. I assume the first time is when he reignited the sun, the second time was during the last part of the Johns run.

More human than human thetrellan's Avatar

It seems to me that a ton of the stories revolving around Lanterns have nothing to do with the rest of the DCU since they happened in outer space. And let's face it, if his time as the Spectre is still intact, you can be pretty sure most everything else is too. Seriously, isn't that the very first thing you'd dump if rewriting Hal's life? Hal as a mass murderer, killing all his best friends, that's one thing, but becoming an all-powerful vengeance ghost is right out.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

That's because they weren't. They were as rebooted as anyone else, but their new backstory had similar happenings to their older one. No story of theirs can have happened in exactly the same way, so they go with the 'Emerald Twilight kind of happened", and that's enough.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Yeah, that's how I read it. I don't ever remember DC stating anything of the sort. Guy Gardner's back story was totally altered too.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Hal Jordan died in the New 52. I can't exactly remember the issue, but sometime recently he said that he's died twice. I assume the first time is when he reignited the sun, the second time was during the last part of the Johns run.
    Yeah, kind of. Both Jordan & Sinestro 'died' and were actually transported to the Dead Zone.