Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    The student has surpassed his teachers.
    Yes, back in the 80s and especially the 90s that character was supposed to be Cannonball, "the best combination of all of his teacher's teachings/philosophies" but now that place has gone to Sunspot.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Yes, back in the 80s and especially the 90s that character was supposed to be Cannonball, "the best combination of all of his teacher's teachings/philosophies" but now that place has gone to Sunspot.
    Helps that Roberto got to go off with AIM and USAvengers under Ewing's pen for a very good run while Cannonball...what even was happening with Cannonball at that time?

This book was pretty damn good. Next issue will be the GOAT.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Helps that Roberto got to go off with AIM and USAvengers under Ewing's pen for a very good run while Cannonball...what even was happening with Cannonball at that time?
    Yeah, they were both moved to the Avengers at the same time, but I feel Berto's growth was more gradual, and where Cannonball left to take care of his new family, he was allowed to continue that growth in other books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    Yeah, they were both moved to the Avengers at the same time, but I feel Berto's growth was more gradual, and where Cannonball left to take care of his new family, he was allowed to continue that growth in other books.
    Right, he did show up in AIM, not too much though. He didn't really feel like he underwent too much outside of being forced into the Skrull parody of Archie.

Another good read for me, now i am wondering how the fights will go and if the next issue Brand has a failsafe ready or gets taken down.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Sunspot figured out he can trick Isca into using her powers to help Magneto beat Tarn in 2 seconds. Him figuring out Brand was trying to assassinate Xandra is easy money.
    yea but the story felt like it was cable who was going to uncover her plot and undermine it, not berto.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    yea but the story felt like it was cable who was going to uncover her plot and undermine it, not berto.
    Having followed Ewings depiction of Roberto this is kind of what he does. He figured out the Night Seats who were unknown even to the Great Ring. It’s not a stretch for him narratively to figure out what Brands up to. It’s kind of been his role among the main players. Out scheming the schemer.

Fantastic issue. Roberto’s quiet scheming, flashy reveal and then fearless challenging of Vulcan escalated his character. I want to see Cannonball on this team - their dynamic as adults and capable, proficient heroes in their own right but in very different ways, would be great to see.

I wish Nova had put up more of a fight because he’s way more powerful than he was depicted as in this issue, but I understand that from a story point of view, it wasn’t his fight and it would have distracted from Roberto’s plans.

I can’t wait to see Storm vs Vulcan. Brand is removed from all the fighting so I’m interested to see how she gets taken down too.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Another superb issue, this book has been amazing so far. I adored Roberto here and love the many plotlines and characters slowly colliding and converging, there's so much stuff happening I really feel like I'm getting a great bang for my buck every issue. And it's amazing how Ororo totally owned the book even if she only appeared on a single page! Next issue is going to be sooo much fun.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

this fight is almost too much hype. Faaaaacts. Like, if Gabriel had just made a speech and then gone after Storm, that would have been preferable to serving him up two literal planet busters. Like I know most X-fans don't care about Nova or cosmic Marvel, but Ryder is obscenely powerful. And ya'll already know how Gladiator do. So, Gabe going ham on those two as a warmup is putting so much pressure on Storm right now. I honestly don't believe she'll win. Can't start that Abby Brand redemption arc if greenie doesn't realize the horror she's unleashed.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Calsyee was absolutely glorious in this

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    this fight is almost too much hype. Faaaaacts. Like, if Gabriel had just made a speech and then gone after Storm, that would have been preferable to serving him up two literal planet busters. Like I know most X-fans don't care about Nova or cosmic Marvel, but Ryder is obscenely powerful. And ya'll already know how Gladiator do. So, Gabe going ham on those two as a warmup is putting so much pressure on Storm right now. I honestly don't believe she'll win. Can't start that Abby Brand redemption arc if greenie doesn't realize the horror she's unleashed.
    Yeah Nova has gone head to head with the silver surfer in the past. That alone shows how much power he has.

I do hope storm stomps him, but I'm not sure how she can do it. I know she's already done it in the past....but even then I didn't quite understand how she beat him. She electrocuted his mind/body?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    But nobody anywhere in the comics is saying anything about people of mixed heritage like her being genetic impurities though? Xandra is also half alien, half mutant, and nobody seems to see any problem with that, nor the fact that she identifies more as Shi'ar than she does Terran mutant.

Like Brand literally just said I don't identify as a mutant specifically, and thus my end goals are not about mutants specifically. She's never even denied that being a mutant contributes to her identity, or seemed to have a problem with it....just that she doesn't see it as the be all and end all of her identity. And yeah, she's willing to work against mutants - 'her own people' - in service of her larger plans and ambitions....but that was always true of her, even before we knew she was a mutant, and has been the case every single time she's viewed someone from Earth as being a necessary sacrifice for the greater good, because everyone from Earth was still 'her people' in the same sense that mutants are as well. Its all just about perspective, and Brand regards herself as being of the Sol System rather than of Krakoa, and she's willing to sacrifice anyone in the name of what she perceives as the greatest good....and that's always included humans, mutants and aliens alike.

Brand's that character that's like I see no distinction from one person to another, no matter who or what they are....but oh yeah, that also means I'm equally willing to use any of them for my purposes.

She's basically just like yeah sorry I don't play favorites. I really think 'the narrative is saying people with mixed genetics are morally bad' is a huge reach.

This series and SWORD have been entirely about how where you come from and who you've been in the past doesn't necessarily define you in the present, or your outlook or how you identify.
    Exactatiously and yupp.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carmoc1234 View Post
    He did actually...or rather Taki did, and then the Cable Co. went in another direction, of which Storm and the others aren't even aware.

Roberto was just working from another more direct and political angle.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!