Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-treme X-men #1 Review ish and spoilers ish

Not much happened in this issue but it was cool to read CC again. And this gave me major nostalgia.

It starts off with those preview pages. OGUN is trying to take control of Kitty AGAIN? Classic Claremont trope.

And as she is having her mental battle she defeats OGUN and kicks him out of her head. Someone can further elaborate on that but I think thats the gist of it.

Rachel is seen cradling her in a really cool scene drawn exquisitely but Larroca.

She let out a telepathic call to the X-treme X-Men and they show up immediately because of Lila Cheney. She also brings Wolverine because Wolverine and OGUN have history.

The last third of the issue is the team breaking up into smaller units on the hunt for OGUN but they can't find him because he's in between our world and the astral realm.

And he says he is going to have to find SOMEONE else to take over and fight the X-Men.

So decent issue and I said this on twitter but it definitely reads like CC but toned down.

Although I do miss Larroca's OG art this was pretty decent.

AND I'M HOPING that OGUN finds a way to get BETSY to come back because it would be awesome to see her written by CC and drawn by Larocca.

The last time we see her in this continuity she is leaving a message to Bishop.

It would be great if CC changes his mystery telepath story and uses Betsy in this mini as well.

Just wishful thinking.

What did you all think?

60E3928D-A9E7-4961-BB32-B474150DE40C.jpg
    47A0E5D5-1182-4EC4-A95C-5D01494B8C60.jpg
    243086C7-065B-4C1D-BEB5-E709C3D508FB.jpg
    Last edited by CGAR; 12-07-2022 at 10:34 AM.

I had a feeling you were thinking about Ogun possibly taking over Betsy somehow because I thought it too. Claremont could link that to her message to Bishop and set her on the trajectory that eventually leads to Jamie bringing her back, which Claremont wrote too as we know.

This was a good setup issue and I really enjoyed the art. Do we know if this Purity anti-mutant group is connected to the Purifiers? I was absent from the books when they came on the scene.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Incredible Member

Is this an alternate universe setting? I'm pretty sure Kitty's mind is not immune to telepathy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Do we know if this Purity anti-mutant group is connected to the Purifiers? I was absent from the books when they came on the scene.
    They are one of those 00's Claremont creations that no one uses but him like Bloody Bess or Tullamore Voge. Don't think they've ever been linked to the purifiers.

Enjoyed this, I wasn't a huge fan of X-Treme but I liked it well enough.

I like post 00's Claremont more than most and this scratched my itch for more Kitty in Chicago stories. Mekanix was a mini series that I enjoyed a lot. Would be good to see Shola and/or Karma show up in this. Although maybe Karma was back at the Xavier school by this point in continuity?

Larroca's art was pretty good here, his run on Rosenberg's Uncanny looked awful to me, so glad to see him back to form.

Incredible Member Agatha's Ghost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Is this an alternate universe setting? I'm pretty sure Kitty's mind is not immune to telepathy.
    The molecules of her brain are dispersed. It is why she was once able to stand up to Jean at full power in Wolverine 125.

Dude what the hell happened to sal larrocas art man? He was so good 20 years ago and has completely changed his style for the worse.

I really wasn't anticipating any excitement in revisiting the Ogun storyline, but this issue was better than I expected. I loved X-Treme back in the day, so I'll stick with this to see where it goes. Really hoping we find out how Rogue gets her powers back since it was dropped back in the day.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Did we see Lifeguard?
    Did we see Neal Shaara?
    Did we see Red Lotus?
    Did we see Slipstream?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Nope they had already left. Slipstream was a dick to his sister. Lifeguard and Thunderbird went to go search for him. And Red Lotus is probably still in Madrioor?

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Did we see Lifeguard?
    Did we see Neal Shaara?
    Did we see Red Lotus?
    Did we see Slipstream?
    We didn't. Praise the gods!!

(Sorry, I just really don't like any of those characters).
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

I enjoyed this issue. It was a lot of set-up but the nostalgia factor helped, even where some moments of characterisation didn't quite land - like Wolverine and Gambit's bickering. Seeing Wolverine's best costume back in play was the highlight.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Neal is good. Not sure why people like Lifeguard *contorts* and Slipstream *vomits*.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Not sure why people like Lifeguard *contorts* and Slipstream *vomits*.
    Yeah, same. I'm an Aussie, just like those two characters, but they're just so cringe. I'd be happy if we never saw them again.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I thought this was a great first issue, with both Claremont and Larroca in top-notch form.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Issue of the year. Kitty as a U of C student bartending to make ends meet, Claremont you are the maestro