Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Have you gotten a fan letter published?

I must confess, I am very happy to have recently gotten a fan letter published in my most favorite, collected book, Fantastic Four.

How many of our members have had this happen?
    What book and what did you write about?

Based on collecting 60 years of books, my tip to get a letter published is unabashed praise. Take that for what you will. But as a publisher, I guess I would take the same stance on letter publishing priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkshadow View Post
    I must confess, I am very happy to have recently gotten a fan letter published in my most favorite, collected book, Fantastic Four.

How many of our members have had this happen?
    What book and what did you write about?

Based on collecting 60 years of books, my tip to get a letter published is unabashed praise. Take that for what you will. But as a publisher, I guess I would take the same stance on letter publishing priority.
    A long time ago. Nearly 50 years IIRC. I pointed out an error and requested a no-prize (without offering a possible explanation) and got it, although it never came in the mail.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    A long time ago. Nearly 50 years IIRC. I pointed out an error and requested a no-prize (without offering a possible explanation) and got it, although it never came in the mail.
    Hah, that's awesome! I know later on, through my collection, the editorial (Stan) became more stringent with requiring an out to explain the error.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Not within a Marvel comic, but a decade or so back I had a letter published in an issue of Rat Queens from Image Comics.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Does being mentioned by name in another fan's letter count?
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I had a letter printed in the Fantastic Four during Mark Waid's run.

Yes, a couple of times in ORION, over at DC. I also got a Thanks in an X-book once, for lending a hand with some continuity.

Ha, yes I've been mentioned in letters pages. The first time it happened it was 20 years ago. I posted a message on a comic writer's message board and he graciously asked if it could be posted in the next issue. Absolutely said yes! Very cool to see that posted.

Over the years, my letters have been posted in other titles. I think my luck in getting published is due to the fact that I've written letters for characters who are personal favorites yet don't have as much popularity as the most famous ones. I don't think I'd ever be published for Spider-Man or the X-Men. But for Shang-Chi? Agents of Atlas? Yeah, I've been featured.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I’ve had two. One way back in Alpha Flight when Bill Mantlo was writing it. I was so mad that he killed off Roger Bochs that I felt compelled to write. He answered in the letters page of Alpha Flight. He explained his reasoning but it didn’t make me feel any better.

The second was the last issue of Dennis Hopeless Hallum’s run on Spider-Woman. I kept a low profile because Seren who used to post in these forums, also got a letter printed and I didn’t want to steal her moment being the biggest Spider-Woman fan so I stayed anonymous until now.

Invincible Member

I had one printed during Steve Englenhart's West Coast Avengers run. And another in Mike Barr's Outsiders run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    The second was the last issue of Dennis Hopeless Hallum’s run on Spider-Woman. I kept a low profile because Seren who used to post in these forums, also got a letter printed and I didn’t want to steal her moment being the biggest Spider-Woman fan so I stayed anonymous until now.
    Huh, she hasn't posted since August, I wonder why?
    https://community.cbr.com/member.php?55009-Seren
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Heh. Wizard mag. They loved goofy letters at the time so i sent a goofy one in and they posted and sure enough used it for a joke.

This was later in the mag when the letter page got more goofy.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-10-2022 at 08:47 AM.

Y'all awesome!

Dang, I gotta write up some letters, stat

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Huh, she hasn't posted since August, I wonder why?
    https://community.cbr.com/member.php?55009-Seren
    Yeah it’s very strange. She just abruptly stopped posting. Hopefully everything is alright with her. We didn’t always see eye to eye about Roger but I was always cordial with her.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

My first was a letter in Howard the Duck 19--the Howard the Human issue. Funny thing: I'd been reading LOC for maybe a couple of years, learned a LOT from people like Mad Maple and cat yronwode about the comics I was reading. Was reading HTD 19's letters, found myself nodding in agreement with one letter I was reading; in fact, it seemed familiar somehow. Looked at the writer--it was... me! And so, yeah, congratulations on getting your letter printed! It's a nice feeling, that now you're a part of something you very much enjoyed. It's one of the reasons i very much miss letter columns these days; aside from learning a lot about the comics one likes, there's the chance of one's being recognized as participating in the comic's creation, and even, if rarely, a chance of participating in the comic's direction, too! Since HTD 19, I've had certainly my share of letters printed, and continue, now and then, to contribute when a title has a lettercol. But they're gettin' scarce, these days, alas.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet