Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Started to read the interview then quickly lost all interest in what Gillenister was saying.

All I can say is thank the Goddess I read other books that are not X or else February to April 2023 would be absolute torture.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    (...) And thus I'm guessing you're exactly right about the gene clinic....as their spin on the 'Sinister controls the people that are resurrected' theory. Since that's not actually built into their intentions for the resurrection protocols, they found a different way to do that....and I think that with the Quiet Council assuming Sinister is dealt with and out of the way, they eventually present humanity with an 'option' to get an X-gene and thus gain access to Krakoa, mutantkind and all its new resources....including resurrection itself. But I imagine that any advances in that direction would no doubt be based on Sinister's own research, with the QC reassuring themselves that 'well our intentions are good, we're not forcing this on anyone, we're just providing ways of sharing what we have with others, and its not like Sinister's around to take this in directions we don't intend'.....buuuuuuut maybe the artificial X-genes they make without Sinister STILL - via his agents or stuff already built into his research - THOSE are what gives him control of people. The new mutants. The ones who add 'his' X-Gene to their own DNA....or chimeras who have additional or modified X-genes added....and that's why we see that Sinister-ized Captain America as a key figure in the promo art. If Steve added a Sinister-derived X-gene for whatever reason.....that's the backdoor Sinister will use to takeover, on a large scale.
    Perhaps i'm overthinking, but there is that one cover which shows him triumphant standing over the X-men with only Storm still struggeling. Considering that she is one of the few core X-men who has by "luck" avoided getting stupidly killed and needing a clone replacement currently, she would be the one he perhaps can't simply "switch off" to defeat, since she is still in her original body.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    (...)Course, problem with that is....mutation, at its very core, conceptually....can't actually be controlled. Its random. No matter how many variables Sinister DOES control....there will always be new mutations that he didn't put in the mix, but just ended up that way....because that's how evolution works. DNA mutates when passed from generation to generation, and the enduring, successful mutations end up sticking around from one generation to the next....but random mutation will still occur aside from those mutations that have now stabilized and become hereditary.

And thus no matter how hard Sinister works to control the complete shape of mutant evolution...it'll eventually always expand beyond his ability to control, be reshaped or redirected by random variables he DIDN'T intend to add into the mix, that weren't part of his projected scientific method....because that's just how mutation works. And even Sinister can't beat that...its just his ego has him convinced he can.
    That would also fit into the idea of why artifical empowered forms of humans (with the "post humans" from Hox/Pox as the "apex" ones) are such a danger to mutants, because unlike them they can just adjust to what ever they desire, rather than having to deal with the highly chaotic nature of the X-gene as source of super powers.

Though it's likely not just Sinister who might desire control over the X-gene. Considering the very human nature of mutants and the randomness of their powers, many of them would also desire to get control over what powers they or their children have if the possibility is provided.
    Not helped by the presence of "gods" and "demi-gods" among them, who might constantly appear as the ideal and desirable state of being a mutant and create the risk of producing a hirarchic or even caste based society.

What good is being defined by having glowing green skin, when someone else can move entire moons with their finger tips? Which of these two forms of being a mutant is more desirable to the common person when they are given the option to artifical change that?
    And then there are the mutants who's power are actualy so detrimental that being a powerless baseline human would actualy appear a lot more desirable than being "special" in the worst way (funny enough they also make a good case for why having some form of "cure" or power supression medicine would actualy be a good thing to exist).

Which would indeed make it an interesting revelation if this whole story ultimately reveals that the X-gene can't permantly be wrestled under control and instead will always go into different power spectrums with positives, negatives or both, fitting an "evolved" form of super powers as opposed to a created one.

Because the interesting thing about evolution is that it's not a one way street and isn't focused on producing some kind of "superior" or "stronger" life forms, even if that is a popular theme in works of fiction.

For example. By the logic of fictional "ideal" evolution the cat genus of Panthera (Lions and Tigers and Jaguars. Oh my!) should have been the pinnacle of cat evolution. They are after all the strongest and biggest examples of their kind.
    And yet from an actual evolutionary perspective it's arguably the genus of "Felis" (including house cats), which is the more "advanced" one. Having also been far more successfull at spreading and surviving in a much wider range of environments, even without the benefit of human domestication.

Though it certainly fits the time period he comes from and his ego that Sinister might desire to think that evolution should move towards "strength and power" rather than versatility or sustainability that it needs to be directed.

Perhaps that's even the true reason the fourth gen chimeras in Moira Life 9 went black hole. The degree of power they were collectively given was just too much for reality or laws of physics to handle so they went critical.

He might desire a species of Cables or Storms, but the truth might simply be that mid and low powered mutants are a lot more successfull and sustainable in the long run.

Astonishing Member

Well something I've always thought would be interesting to explore is that engineering specific powers like post-humans or Sinister manipulating things to have Cable born of Scott and Jean's bloodlines.....like this can 'reliably' produce extremely powerful beings.....but nature - via mutation - creates 'surprises' all the time. Things or beings that nobody was even close to imagining....until nature produced them.

Thus a potentially interesting facet of the mutant race is no matter how much time or effort someone like Sinister puts into engineering his 'ideal mutant' or the perfect family lineage of mutants with an extremely powerful powerset that reliably passes from one generation to the next....

That will never preclude nature just randomly producing a new mutant that surpasses the current 'ideal mutant' in some aspect because Sinister/genetic engineers are still ultimately limited by what they can even imagine as their goal. Nature has no such limitation.

Thus the mutant race by its very nature is NOT predisposed to be dynastic, no matter how many stable mutations or bloodlines it produces along the way...because unlike the goal-oriented endpoint of each and every application of the scientific method, like say, it being used to produce one specific mutant bloodline....evolution has no actual endpoint or goal. Whatever wonders mutation randomly produces throughout the span of mutant existence....nature, evolution and mutation will never stop and rest on their laurels, they'll keep going in all sorts of random directions. Which means that frankly, the whole idea of engineering a master race from it is counter-intuitive and ultimately doomed to fail.

Because no matter how hard mad scientists work, nature....with its unpredictable evolutionary leaps and random mutations....works harder.

For every dynastic House of Summers bloodline that Sinister or others engineer into being and that becomes considered mutant royalty.....there can be a House of M, a House of Storms, or just as many other important family lines or houses that descend from mutants born of just good old-fashioned random mutation, and yet still end up more than a match for various engineered lineages in both power and prestige.

Sinister: I can counter and exceed anything nature can produce, whatever I can see coming down the evolutionary pipeline, and the limits of my imagination are beyond anything nature can conceive of and thus nothing will ever surpass the culminations of my grand genetic experiments!

Mother Nature: Just watch me work, bitch.

This came off very much Game of Thrones walk of "shame SHAme SHAAAAAAAAAAAAME" But i am always here for a thor/ storm appearance and America's a$$ and the X-men's a$$ walking side by side in union cheek to check on guesstimate of a 55 degree angle at the hips.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Okay so according to the interview Gillen basically confirmed that after SoS there's 4 issues of Immortal before getting into Fall of X so that means the other titles will also have 4 more issues.

So in September is when Fall of X starts

It's interesting because it sounds like for the Fall of X we might get a X of Swords style crossover.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I start to doubt more and more about SOS.

Usually I love events and crossovers, but this time I have serious doubts I will enjoy the ride.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Oh snap! Cable got his ass. Nice to see the Avengers and X-Men together. I'm a fan of Scott and Cap touching each other, just saying.

The art is lovely.
    "Cable got his ass"
    And speaking of, MY gay audacity zeroed in on our Captains' (Commander & America) buoyant and bountiful nether clappers.

Additionally, is this snipped of two of our most prominent heroes on either side of the super aisle teaming up a wink nod to the impending Uncanny Avengers?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Lmfao at the crowds cheering Sinister being arrested

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

In the Immortal preview page, the dead ones are already back. LMAO. Nice try, Essex. I wonder if his save scumming didn't work.
    "Cable was right!"

Storm and Thor??!! Cap and Scott (touching no less )??!! Oh Yess!!
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    This came off very much Game of Thrones walk of "shame SHAme SHAAAAAAAAAAAAME" But i am always here for a thor/ storm appearance and America's a$$ and the X-men's a$$ walking side by side in union cheek to check on guesstimate of a 55 degree angle at the hips.
    This gave me a good laugh this morning.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    "Cable got his ass"
    And speaking of, MY gay audacity zeroed in on our Captains' (Commander & America) buoyant and bountiful nether clappers.

Additionally, is this snipped of two of our most prominent heroes on either side of the super aisle teaming up a wink nod to the impending Uncanny Avengers?
    LOL! I love the love for Cap and Cyke's cake team-up. They'd be a lot of fun on a team together for sure.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

So Sinister gets put in the pit, for sure.

Xavier's choice is to let Sinister out isn't it

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It's like "now that he's not part of our body of government we can be totally honest about how much we hate him!"

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It's like "now that he's not part of our body of government we can be totally honest about how much we hate him!"