Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #10 and SOS Preview

Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

She's A Lifebringer

Oh snap! Cable got his ass. Nice to see the Avengers and X-Men together. I'm a fan of Scott and Cap touching each other, just saying.

The art is lovely.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

guess everyone is handed a tunic upon entering sinister's new TL
    She's A Lifebringer

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Oh snap! Cable got his ass. Nice to see the Avengers and X-Men together. I'm a fan of Scott and Cap touching each other, just saying.

The art is lovely.
    Me too. It gives me the HOTS!! I just want to see them make out please.

Yay Storm and Thor working together.

Can we just kill Sinister and NOT bring him back.

Yeah it's an interesting look. What do we think "X Gene" is, a bar?

I guess this is the future mentioned in Immoral where mutants reign and the world "adores and respects them."

oops i forgot to attach his interview as well:
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/x-...erview-marvel/

What can you say about how these couple of Immortal X-Men issues that serve as prologues relate to the Sins of Sinister main event. You've kept under wraps what the big inciting incident that sets this timeline off is, but can you say anything about what fans should be looking for as that approaches?

The opening of the trailer is Sinister's going in the pit. We've seen that preview cover, we know it's going to happen, and he goes in the pit. They've defeated him. That's after everything's been brought down.

Sins of Sinister skips forward 10 years and the entire world is basically being ruled by a Sinister-like Krakoa, and that's the thing. I don't want to say the how because the how is the story. Sinister's lost, but in 10 years, how is it he's won? And then, of course, as I said, no he hasn't [laughs], but that's the vibe. How the hell has he pulled this off? In fact, you might know the method by the end of issue #10, but then all the real details, that's in Sins of Sinister #1. Then you get to see the 10 years of very careful things that various agents pull off.

wanted to add this as well

I know Sins of Sinister hasn't even started yet, but fans are always looking to the next thing and we know Fall of X is around the corner. What can you say about Sins of Sinister and its relationship to whatever's coming in Fall of X? Does it lead directly into it? Is there something in between? How does this domino hit the next?

I have three issues and an annual -- I don't think that's been announced yet, but annuals get announced all the time -- basically, I've got four issues I'm doing between. A lot of stuff happens between the two and it all feeds into it. Sins of Sinister I view as basically Volume Three of my Immortal X-Men run. It's a fundamental part of our story, and a fundamental part of the story is never not going to impact it.

There is a thing we say in the X-Office describing what happens before the fall as "the cascade." That's what Sins of Sinister is a part of. It's the cascade towards the Fall of X. And of course, we're not talking about Fall of X yet and what that means, but with the idea of these events slowly cascading beautifully together like grains of sand falling and moving and that's what happens -- Sins of Sinister is like the Gobi Desert.
    Last edited by Diammandis; 12-07-2022 at 04:33 PM.
    She's A Lifebringer

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    guess everyone is handed a tunic upon entering sinister's new TL
    I was under the impression those are "dystopian cyberpunk future" raincoats, fitting to the street being crowded and trash lying around.

Yeah it's an interesting look. What do we think "X Gene" is, a bar?

I guess this is the future mentioned in Immoral where mutants reign and the world "adores and respects them."
    Thought that might have been some kind of "gene clinic" where people could get an X-gene or have it modified. Basicly the opposite of "cure centers" ala. those in X-men the last stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    oops i forgot to attach his interview as well:
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/x-...erview-marvel/

What can you say about how these couple of Immortal X-Men issues that serve as prologues relate to the Sins of Sinister main event. You've kept under wraps what the big inciting incident that sets this timeline off is, but can you say anything about what fans should be looking for as that approaches?

The opening of the trailer is Sinister's going in the pit. We've seen that preview cover, we know it's going to happen, and he goes in the pit. They've defeated him. That's after everything's been brought down.

Sins of Sinister skips forward 10 years and the entire world is basically being ruled by a Sinister-like Krakoa, and that's the thing. I don't want to say the how because the how is the story. Sinister's lost, but in 10 years, how is it he's won? And then, of course, as I said, no he hasn't [laughs], but that's the vibe. How the hell has he pulled this off? In fact, you might know the method by the end of issue #10, but then all the real details, that's in Sins of Sinister #1. Then you get to see the 10 years of very careful things that various agents pull off.

wanted to add this as well

I know Sins of Sinister hasn't even started yet, but fans are always looking to the next thing and we know Fall of X is around the corner. What can you say about Sins of Sinister and its relationship to whatever's coming in Fall of X? Does it lead directly into it? Is there something in between? How does this domino hit the next?

I have three issues and an annual -- I don't think that's been announced yet, but annuals get announced all the time -- basically, I've got four issues I'm doing between. A lot of stuff happens between the two and it all feeds into it. Sins of Sinister I view as basically Volume Three of my Immortal X-Men run. It's a fundamental part of our story, and a fundamental part of the story is never not going to impact it.

There is a thing we say in the X-Office describing what happens before the fall as "the cascade." That's what Sins of Sinister is a part of. It's the cascade towards the Fall of X. And of course, we're not talking about Fall of X yet and what that means, but with the idea of these events slowly cascading beautifully together like grains of sand falling and moving and that's what happens -- Sins of Sinister is like the Gobi Desert.
    Great interview that sheds some light on it all. Very cool that Hickman was fully on board with the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    I was under the impression those are "dystopian cyberpunk future" raincoats, fitting to the street being crowded and trash lying around.

Thought that might have been some kind of "gene clinic" where people could get an X-gene or have it modified. Basicly the opposite of "cure centers" ala. those in X-men the last stand.
    I like it. Ha, like a botox clinic where you can get your X-gene filler.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly what I think it is. The impression I get from the interview is that while Gillen's explicit about saying Krakoa was meant at most to be gray, thus meaning a lot of the more insidious theories people had from the start about where it was all building were never actually in play for the Main Story....ie the Krakoan drugs secretly poisoning humans or making them sterile, the resurrection protocols really just being clones that Sinister was somehow slipping in ways to control them....

Like the impression I'm getting now is that Sins of Sinister is actually the X-office's way of having both, the gray Krakoa and the dark Krakoa....with it basically being a giant What If where they take all those darker theories about Krakoa and go 'okay so if that was what we were doing, how WOULD that actually work'....and with the intent being that this is ultimately meant as a kind of Star Trek Dark/Quantum Mirror episode for Krakoa as a whole, where even after the post Sins of Sinister reset....mutantkind has to contend with how easy it WAS to go down darker paths from where they are right now.

And thus I'm guessing you're exactly right about the gene clinic....as their spin on the 'Sinister controls the people that are resurrected' theory. Since that's not actually built into their intentions for the resurrection protocols, they found a different way to do that....and I think that with the Quiet Council assuming Sinister is dealt with and out of the way, they eventually present humanity with an 'option' to get an X-gene and thus gain access to Krakoa, mutantkind and all its new resources....including resurrection itself. But I imagine that any advances in that direction would no doubt be based on Sinister's own research, with the QC reassuring themselves that 'well our intentions are good, we're not forcing this on anyone, we're just providing ways of sharing what we have with others, and its not like Sinister's around to take this in directions we don't intend'.....buuuuuuut maybe the artificial X-genes they make without Sinister STILL - via his agents or stuff already built into his research - THOSE are what gives him control of people. The new mutants. The ones who add 'his' X-Gene to their own DNA....or chimeras who have additional or modified X-genes added....and that's why we see that Sinister-ized Captain America as a key figure in the promo art. If Steve added a Sinister-derived X-gene for whatever reason.....that's the backdoor Sinister will use to takeover, on a large scale.

I'm actually really interested in what Gillen said about 'we see Sinister using the Moira clones to explore the future via the scientific method....but not to what end, as in what result he's TRYING to reach as a destination point.' Sins of Sinister is about Sinister getting what he WANTS....but then it not being what he wanted after all. And what does Sinister really want more than anything? IMO its not actually control or dominion per se.....because Sinister doesn't view himself as a tyrant or ruler. He sees himself as a scientist first and foremost. He's this guy who looks at X-genes and thinks 'I just think they're neat'....but ALSO....'and they should be mine, because I - as a scientist - know how to really put them to use, or what to do with them.'

Sooooo...if Sinister doesn't want dominion for the sake of dominion....he wants it for the sake of having the most possible access to X-genes and all the ways they can be used or experimented with. He's the anti M-Day. He just wants more mutants, everyone to be a mutant, so the world is one giant laboratory just like he sees Krakoa and how he's always seen the existing mutant populations. The more mutants....the more X-genes to play with and explore their possible uses and results.

Course, problem with that is....mutation, at its very core, conceptually....can't actually be controlled. Its random. No matter how many variables Sinister DOES control....there will always be new mutations that he didn't put in the mix, but just ended up that way....because that's how evolution works. DNA mutates when passed from generation to generation, and the enduring, successful mutations end up sticking around from one generation to the next....but random mutation will still occur aside from those mutations that have now stabilized and become hereditary.

And thus no matter how hard Sinister works to control the complete shape of mutant evolution...it'll eventually always expand beyond his ability to control, be reshaped or redirected by random variables he DIDN'T intend to add into the mix, that weren't part of his projected scientific method....because that's just how mutation works. And even Sinister can't beat that...its just his ego has him convinced he can.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 12-07-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Astonishing Member

Also just wanted to say I really did like what he had to say about how it can be reductive to try and view the X-Men and mutants as a metaphor or allegory because it DOESN'T fit on a one to one comparison, as is often pointed out....but its not necessarily meant to either. Viewing the X-Men and mutants as just having various resonances with reality, both intentional and unintentional....I do like that a lot more as a way to describe things.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly what I think it is. The impression I get from the interview is that while Gillen's explicit about saying Krakoa was meant at most to be gray, thus meaning a lot of the more insidious theories people had from the start about where it was all building were never actually in play for the Main Story....ie the Krakoan drugs secretly poisoning humans or making them sterile, the resurrection protocols really just being clones that Sinister was somehow slipping in ways to control them....

Like the impression I'm getting now is that Sins of Sinister is actually the X-office's way of having both, the gray Krakoa and the dark Krakoa....with it basically being a giant What If where they take all those darker theories about Krakoa and go 'okay so if that was what we were doing, how WOULD that actually work'....and with the intent being that this is ultimately meant as a kind of Star Trek Dark/Quantum Mirror episode for Krakoa as a whole, where even after the post Sins of Sinister reset....mutantkind has to contend with how easy it WAS to go down darker paths from where they are right now....
    This was one of the most interesting parts of the interview for me. They know there are readers that view Krakoa as "bad" and so Immoral is very, "well what if it was REALLY bad? What if we take Krakoa to that dark place it's often accused of being?" And how that can lead to the appreciation of what Krakoa actually is.
    The interview definitely has me more interested.

Realizing Cable probably came down from space the MINUTE he heard that Sinister killed his daughter. Love a protective papa bear.

The art is lovely.
    They had me at Cable possibly doing something important in an event again…

…let’s just say Judgment Day felt like false advertising in this regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Realizing Cable probably came down from space the MINUTE he heard that Sinister killed his daughter. Love a protective papa bear.
    Same. I love their relationship so much. Cable and Hope’s that is. Not Cable and Sinister’s, though that is a complex one as well… he is his creator after all.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Plus - arguably nobody's life has been fucked with by Sinister MORE than Cable's. Dude was fucking with him from literally BEFORE his actual conception.

Along with being protective over Hope, being the one to drag Sinister to his assumed-in-story 'final fate' likely means way more to Cable than just about any other mutant alive. (With nods to Madelyne Pryor who likely is watching the festivities with a bowl of popcorn on her bigscreen scrying pool in Limbo, and Remy who'd probably just be happy if they remember to invite him to see Sinister's final judgment).

But I imagine Cable's like....what's this I'm feeling? Is this...catharsis? No I genuinely can't tell, I've never had that before.
    Last edited by BobbysWorld; 12-07-2022 at 05:31 PM.