Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Astonishing Member

He doesn't have his formative memories, ok.

But he also forgot his time as hero because he only retained the pain?

It was an ill-conceived motivation from the get-go, and all the recent explanations look a lot like patchwork.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Yeah, but that's expected. It doesn't help that Ben's selective amnesia is too convenient, you can see the strings from a mile away.
    i don't disagree.

losing those memories could result in a dozen different states of being for ben or peter. some making more sense than others.

the writers chose chasm.
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Read this to see what is going on with Venom. Dreading it because I really didn't to see his character regress.

I figured the reason why he fell back to the old ways was because he was being blackmailed in order to save his son?

Made no sense to me that he'd willingly let that witch manipulate him

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    Read this to see what is going on with Venom. Dreading it because I really didn't to see his character regress.

I figured the reason why he fell back to the old ways was because he was being blackmailed in order to save his son?

Made no sense to me that he'd willingly let that witch manipulate him
    Technically, Madelyne mucked with his mind and memories to get him back in the proper frame of mind for her scheme, and before that, he was being contained by her on the promise that she'd help him look for Dylan. Obviously, that was a promise she wasn't intending to keep, as when he confronted her on it, she messed with his head --- and messed with it a bit too much, as seen by the end of this issue where he was ranting about eating Spider-Man's brains again.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Im liking Chasm quite a bit. I know that's controversial but i think its an interesting motivation and tying it to Madeline wss a great choice. Well coordinated.

BANNED

It was an ill-conceived motivation from the get-go, and all the recent explanations look a lot like patchwork.
    He remembers some of his time as a hero, since he says he remembers Norman revealing he wasn't the real Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Im liking Chasm quite a bit. I know that's controversial but i think its an interesting motivation and tying it to Madeline wss a great choice. Well coordinated.
    it's controversial with some fans, but if you like it i ain't gonna yuck your yum.

out of interest are you an old school reilly fan or more current?
    troo fan or death

dont feel bad about it
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

BANNED

What's 'well coordinated' about it?
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 12-15-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Astonishing Member

After reading Dark Web: Dusk and ASM 14 & 15, all I can do is laugh at this story. And not even with the story, but at it. The dialogue is hackneyed, the plot ridiculous, and the characters are regressed two dimensional cutouts that make cartoon characters look multi-dimensional and deep. Y’know, I had hopes that maybe Zeb Wells would rub off on Dan Slott - at least the Tombstone arc was well-structured, which Dan’s work never is - but apparently Zeb has absorbed Dan’s worst writing ticks.

So let’s go with the explanation that Ben has lost his formative memories and can only remember the pain. OK, sure, that’s a terrible situation to be in.

But what about Janine? She knows what happened! She knows how evil Beyond Corp. is! She knows how they played her and Ben! She tried to get the proof to MJ and the Daily Bugle! She was concerned about Ben’s behavior, such as leaving MJ behind to be attacked by the Goblin Queen! And she’s the only one Ben cares about and will listen to (well, aside from Maddie who Ben is being awfully trusting of…like seriously, dude, did you learn nothing about trusting people who offer suspiciously simple solutions to your problems without investigating their pasts?!?!)

But nooooo, Janine decides after one encounter - an encounter she brought on by showing her face in public when she knows she is wanted for breaking out of prison, what did she expect would happen?!?! - that she is 3v!L now, too. And doesn’t even bother to try to convince Ben he has it all wrong and is going about fixing things the wrong way.

Both of their motivations are asinine in the extreme.

Not going to touch how Wells completely ignores Maddie’s arc in Vita Ayala’s New Mutants run, but his treatment of her is asinine, too.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    After reading Dark Web: Dusk and ASM 14 & 15, all I can do is laugh at this story. And not even with the story, but at it. The dialogue is hackneyed, the plot ridiculous, and the characters are regressed two dimensional cutouts that make cartoon characters look multi-dimensional and deep. Y’know, I had hopes that maybe Zeb Wells would rub off on Dan Slott - at least the Tombstone arc was well-structured, which Dan’s work never is - but apparently Zeb has absorbed Dan’s worst writing ticks.

So let’s go with the explanation that Ben has lost his formative memories and can only remember the pain. OK, sure, that’s a terrible situation to be in.

But what about Janine? She knows what happened! She knows how evil Beyond Corp. is! She knows how they played her and Ben! She tried to get the proof to MJ and the Daily Bugle! She was concerned about Ben’s behavior, such as leaving MJ behind to be attacked by the Goblin Queen! And she’s the only one Ben cares about and will listen to (well, aside from Maddie who Ben is being awfully trusting of…like seriously, dude, did you learn nothing about trusting people who offer suspiciously simple solutions to your problems without investigating their pasts?!?!)

But nooooo, Janine decides after one encounter - an encounter she brought on by showing her face in public when she knows she is wanted for breaking out of prison, what did she expect would happen?!?! - that she is 3v!L now, too. And doesn’t even bother to try to convince Ben he has it all wrong and is going about fixing things the wrong way.

Both of their motivations are asinine in the extreme.

Not going to touch how Wells completely ignores Maddie’s arc in Vita Ayala’s New Mutants run, but his treatment of her is asinine, too.
    You forgot how they tried to go for a nostalgia pull with 90's Venom and worse was the fight and how Peter was portrayed much worse than any of MJ's issues by far. He was just brushing off how Eddie was differnt and then the fight was just bad. 90's Venom was a tank and could take anything and used a burning manga. So after KiB and Eddie fighting gods and future versions of himself he lost to a simple version of newspaper on fire then also him having a body again when he shouldn't and then how Peter acted with Chasm was low tier idk