Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Wonder Woman 3 not moving forward according to Hollywood Reporter

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235276804/

Call it DC Rebirth or DC: Genesis. Maybe call it Identity Crisis or Flashpoint. These titles of past DC comics event series aptly describe the state of Warner Bros.’ DC movies, which are on the cusp of a new era but not before a potentially messy transition period.

A cleaning of the slate is common when a new executive team is put in place to run a studio or division but there is likely little precedent for the amount of Clorox James Gunn and Peter Safran could spray as they prepare to launch DC Studios and guide superhero movies for the next half decade and beyond.
    Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 is not moving forward and is considered dead in its current incarnation.

Sources say that Jenkins recently submitted her treatment, co-written with Geoff Johns, and that Gunn and Safran, as well as Warner Bros. Pictures co-chairs and co-CEOs Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy, broke the news to the filmmaker, telling her the project — as it stood — did not fit in with the new (but still unfolding) plans. Jenkins directed and co-wrote the previous two movies, starring Gal Gadot and released in 2017 and 2020. No decision has been made about next steps.

And while costs are not a factor — insiders say that DC Studios will not have any overburdensome financial restrictions — the studio could end up saving tens of millions of dollars by not making the third installment. Gadot, according to sources, was on track for a $20 million payday for Wonder Woman 3 while Jenkins would have received $12 million. Those figures don’t include any possible backend bonuses.

I didn't think James Gunn cared about Diana that much but I didn't expect this to happen.

So Black Adam 2 is off the table.

They only have the Joker sequel in 2024, so maybe the big reboot starts in 2025.

Astonishing Member

I think that's kinda BS but given the current state of upheaval affairs it's better to take the gut punch and move on.

Bullshit.

The only future DC movie I was looking forward to. No trilogy for Wonder Woman, and if/when we see her again, it'll be in shitty Justice League team-ups.

F*** you, Warner, and f*** you, Gunn.

Amazing Member

I hope this is a sign they will be doing a complete DC recast. We need a fresh start that moves away from the Syderverse past. I know people like Cavil as Superman, but he's not the warmest actor.

Put out the rest of the stuff the previous show runners already spent money on and hand out the pink slips.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic Lore View Post
    I hope this is a sign they will be doing a complete DC recast. We need a fresh start that moves away from the Syderverse past. I know people like Cavil as Superman, but he's not the warmest actor.

Put out the rest of the stuff the previous show runners already spent money on and hand out the pink slips.
    Well, so much for Cavill finally getting his shot I guess.

Not just ww3, a complete reboot. Gal and cavil gone. Momoa stays but will play lobo now. Poor supergirl actress was so excited to play her in future movies and is gone after one. That means aquaman 2, shazam 2, flash and blue beetle are the end of the road if true!

If hr is right this is crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Not just ww3, a complete reboot. Gal and cavil gone. Momoa stays but will play lobo now. Poor supergirl actress was so excited to play her in future movies and is gone after one. That means aquaman 2, shazam 2, flash and blue beetle are the end of the road if true!

If hr is right this is crazy!
    With no reported Snyderverse cameos in Blue Beetle I’m hoping it can be salvaged and brought over to the rebooted universe.

"as it stood". Interesting. I'm guessing it was more along the lines of WW 1984 instead of WW 2017.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

This article is pretty confusing in that it says repeatedly that Gunn and Safran are keeping things really close to the vest and things are fluid, but Gadot, Cavill, and Mamoa are definitely out and we're likely heading for a full blown reboot that somehow still involves Pattison's Batman and Phoenix's Joker?

First off, if I were Cavill I would tell WB to f-off and sign on for a huge role with Marvel. That poor dude has done nothing but express his love and desire to continue playing Superman, and WB keeps screwing him over.

Second, I can see why WB would want to move on from Jenkins' WW, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. The 2nd movie was a mixed bag but its release was handled so poorly that it didn't even really have a chance. The first movie was also the first truly successful non-Batman film WB produced since Superman II, so you think there would be some desire to let the trilogy play out. But again, I get it, especially in trying to follow the 2nd film. And if Jenkins and Johns turned in a script that was similar to the second film, then it's probably for the best.

Third, how can they already decide Momoa is out as Aquaman when his first movie made A BILLION dollars with mostly average reviews and they haven't even released the 2nd one yet? Will that still hold true if the second Aquaman makes another billion? That makes zero sense.

Fourth, if the plan is still to continue with Joker and The Batman franchises, then it to me this is already a lost battle. I understand why they want to continue both franchises based on the money they made but continuing with them is 100% counter to a cohesive, singular direction for the DC film universe. And to be honest, didn't really think either movie was blow-away amazing.

Last but not least...I really liked Shazam. For me, it was the best DC film to come out of the Snyderverse. It feels now like once the sequel is released, that will be it. And that's a damn shame.

But honestly, a total reboot is probably for the best and something I've been advocating for a year or so. I just can't see them pulling it off especially if a) The Batman and Joker franchises continue; and b) Gunn wants to keep his Suicide Squad universe in-tact.

The ONLY silver lining I see in this is apparently the script was indeed co-written by Geoff Johns, so we dodged that nitwit's influence again.

But I have zero hope for Wonder Woman's cinematic future. Frankly, I'll be shocked if she even gets another solo movie again, and I cannot fathom James Gunn having a good sense of what to do with her. He only cares about D-listers and misfit characters. Diana will only exist to be a humorless den mother who gets mocked by Harley and Peacemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The ONLY silver lining I see in this is apparently the script was indeed co-written by Geoff Johns, so we dodged that nitwit's influence again.
    My thoughts exactly.

Deadline also reporting they heard ww3 is dead.