Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'm not sure I buy most of what is in that article. I hope WB clarifies its plans sometime in the very near future.

I can honestly see them wanting to do away with what has already been done with Wonder Woman. I'd be very open to a soft reboot, where they ignore the first two movies and do an origin story set in the modern day. But to just kill the series, especially ONE DAY after Gal thanked the fans and teased her future as Diana, is just head scratching.

Same with Cavill. They make it official, bring him back and he announces he's back as Superman- and they just get rid of him AGAIN? That kind of feels like punishment directed at The Rock, for Black Adam not being as successful as they wanted (or at all. I think it's a box office bomb at this time).

And for a company that famously wouldn't allow two versions of a character to exist on film and TV at the same time (hello, Suicide Squad on Arrow!), the fact that there is even rumors that Jason Mamoa wants to be Lobo, after playing one of the core members of the Justice League, is just baffling. I think Jason would have made a good Lobo- had he not also played Arthur Curry. This isn't like an actor who played a character in Marvel movies will suddenly play a character in a DC movie, or even something like Gemma Chan (who was unrecognizable under heavy makeup in Captain Marvel, then looked normal in Eternals). Even with the Lobo makeup, Jason will still look like himself. And they don't think that would confuse the hell out of the general audience?

I liked The Batman. I've rewatched it several times. I would like to see a trilogy made out of it like The Dark Knight trilogy, and have it stand alone. But I don't want them to build a universe around that Batman, especially since Reeves has said he wants to keep it a 'grounded' Batman, and never bring in the more fantastical elements. For god's sake, he's a freaking comic book character. I want those elements! I want to see him go against Clayface, or Poison Ivy, or Mr. Freeze, especially since they have never been done in film before (They haven't, I tell you. Never. Not once. Nope. Uh-uh. Brand new for the silver screen.). I want to see Robin and/or Nightwing. Hey, how about Batgirl? So yeah, let Reeve's do his trilogy. But if you are looking to build a connected universe, let's have a more comic-like Batman be a part of that.

As for Joker 2- I haven't anticipated a sequel less since Avatar 2. The first Joker was a damn good film, a nice STAND-ALONE film. It didn't need a sequel. And I don't want to see that Joker fighting Batman.

I hope this article is wrong. At best, I hope WB declined the new Wonder Woman script, but they leave it open for Jenkins to write a new story more in line with what the new Regime wants. I guess only time will tell.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Jenkins left Thor 2 due to creative differences with Marvel and agreed to do Wonder Woman mostly because they gave her almost total creative control. Additionally, it's been 3 years since she finished WW84 and the way WB handled its release left a bad taste in her mouth.

So long story short, it's HIGHLY unlikely she's just going to go back to the drawing board to come up with something that appeases Gunn and Safran. She's going to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They only have the Joker sequel in 2024, so maybe the big reboot starts in 2025.
    By all accounts they're not touching the Batman films. That likely includes Joker, which is in its own world but the first one did outstandingly well at the Oscars, and made a billion dollars with a budget the fraction of typical superhero films.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I feel like there's a lot of overreacting going on - by the reporters and then people reading these reports that are padded with a lot of speculation.

-- WW3 is not moving forward in its current incarnation. That's it. Not moving forward could also mean a pause. "In its current incarnation" could also mean it might be retooled to better align with Gunn's plans. There's still a lot of blanks to fill in. Gunn's plans will be unveiled (to some degree) soon, so we'll know more at that point. No need for pitchforks yet.

I was hoping this would be the case. I think most of the casting in DCU is good, but I don’t think they’ll ever escape the Snyder controversies until they reboot the cast.

It’s a pity but I think they’ll otherwise just be in a cat and mouse game with those fans.

Excited to see how true this is

Astonishing Member

So weird that they are jettisoning aspects that people liked -- Gadot's Wonder Woman, Momoa's Aquaman. Who gives an F about the Joker sequel in regard to universe building?! It's a standalone project.

If any/all of this turns out to be true, DC should just lay low on the big name titles and concentrate on other franchises. But again -- seems weird to just discard everything.

Astonishing Member

Jenkins only had one good Wonder Woman movie period. If the third was in line with the second and she was only blaming the way it was released and not taking to heart the real criticisms of WW84. Then someone pulling the plug forcing a re evaluation and re alignment is not a bad thing.

That movie was BAD. It wasn't Covid's fault, it wasn't the marketing, or release schedule on HBO MAX. That was a writing, production, directorial failure. The Thor series proved you can turn around a franchise after a low point. But, the right people have to accept the failure and recognize the real problem. Not just brush it off saying it wasn't marketed correctly and stubbornly pass responsibility.

I don't see Cavil coming back if they burn him again.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    The ONLY silver lining I see in this is apparently the script was indeed co-written by Geoff Johns, so we dodged that nitwit's influence again.

But I have zero hope for Wonder Woman's cinematic future. Frankly, I'll be shocked if she even gets another solo movie again, and I cannot fathom James Gunn having a good sense of what to do with her. He only cares about D-listers and misfit characters. Diana will only exist to be a humorless den mother who gets mocked by Harley and Peacemaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

Just to play devil's advocate I don't think we know what story issues in WW84 were Johns and what were from Jenkins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I was hoping this would be the case. I think most of the casting in DCU is good, but I don’t think they’ll ever escape the Snyder controversies until they reboot the cast.

It’s a pity but I think they’ll otherwise just be in a cat and mouse game with those fans.

Excited to see how true this is
    Feels unfair to Gadot though.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Jenkins left Thor 2 due to creative differences with Marvel and agreed to do Wonder Woman mostly because they gave her almost total creative control. Additionally, it's been 3 years since she finished WW84 and the way WB handled its release left a bad taste in her mouth.

So long story short, it's HIGHLY unlikely she's just going to go back to the drawing board to come up with something that appeases Gunn and Safran. She's going to move on.
    To be fair, I think WW84 left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouths and that was her baby. Without restraints for the third movie for WW, I don't think Patty is the person to do it.
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 12-08-2022 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    But I have zero hope for Wonder Woman's cinematic future. Frankly, I'll be shocked if she even gets another solo movie again, and I cannot fathom James Gunn having a good sense of what to do with her. He only cares about D-listers and misfit characters. Diana will only exist to be a humorless den mother who gets mocked by Harley and Peacemaker.
    Do you really think Gunn would've been handed the keys to the kingdom just to make Matter-Eater Lad and Inferior Five movies? It's not like he'll be directing all the movies either.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post

The story in WW84 left a bad taste in my mouth. I am tired of this Stoic women reduced to a puddle by a man. I get Steve is a part of WW but he is not needed and the love interest is not needed. Just have her go out there and kick ass, not make a Superman2 remake...
    Last edited by krazijoe; 12-08-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate I don't think we know what story issues in WW84 were Johns and what were from Jenkins.

Feels unfair to Gadot though.
    The Quantum Leap type story involving Steve was Patty Jenkins idea she's a QL fan.

Incredible Member

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Styles View Post
    "Dearest DC...Why we're going, I cannot say, where we're going, you cannot know, what we will do when we get there, I haven't decided yet...."