Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    It funny to think that we are at this point that the industry considers WW84 is a failure. Back in 2021, both WW84 and Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey were submitted by WB to the Academy for Oscar nominations.
    Basically every big studio movie is submitted to the Oscars. That's not a sign for perceived quality.
    Tolstoy will live forever. Some people do. But that's not enough. It's not the length of a life that matters, just the depth of it. The chances we take. The paths we choose. How we go on when our hearts break. Hearts always break and so we bend with our hearts. And we sway. But in the end what matters is that we loved... and lived.

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    There are a lot of categories in which you can win an Oscar. Even really bad movies submit because they may have good costumes, or effects or any myriad of things.
    The original Suicide Squad won an Oscar for Best Makeup.

I’m sure Wonder Woman 3’s script and development had problems, but some of it may come down to money issues. The article mentions Gal Gadot was due a big payday if she did another Wonder Woman movie. Well, WB Discovery isn’t doing well financially. Put that together, and it makes sense why Gunn and Safran might part ways with Gal Gadot’s Diana.

Money issues and more explain the Rock’s seeming lack of future at DC Studios, too. The Rock had his shot. He missed. He convinced WB to spend $290 million on an attempt to create a superhero franchise for himself. No studio would spend more big money for sequels to a proven loser at the box office. Also, it probably wasn’t a great idea for the Rock to have likely irked new DC Studios co-chief Safran, by getting a separate Black Adam flick instead of appearing in Safran’s Shazam as a villain, as originally planned. It surely doesn’t help the Rock, either, to attempt to pressure DC Studios through a Twitter campaign, making promises about movie developments he can’t make happen, like Cavill’s return. It’s nearly stabbing the new co-chief executives, Gunn and Safran, in the back.

Now, imagine that you are Gunn and Safran. Do you proceed with plans for bringing Cavill back as Superman, while Cavill is making Twitter pronouncements about returning in conjunction with the Rock? Hell, NO. As new bosses, you do not hire people who undermine your authority. If I’m Gunn and Safran, I’m not taking a meeting or so much as a phone call from Cavill or his agent. If it’s true Cavill’s gone, at least he has his well-earned Golden Raspberry from BvS.

Which brings us to the man, the myth, the guy who tried to name the DC universe after himself — Zack Snyder. It’s been well reported Zack angered a lot of people with strong suspicions he played a role in a social media campaign to pressure DC into releasing the “Snyder cut.” WB and others found a significant number of those Tweets and posts were fake, the work of bots and influencers traceable to a former agency. Who paid for it? Well, who benefited? It really doesn’t mean Snyder led or paid for the social media campaign, but it’s something that might arouse suspicions. It’s not something new bosses would ever tolerate.

As for Momoa as Lobo, why not? I can see him nailing that role. Momoa is a proven money maker.

I imagine Matt Reeves is feeling pretty happy that he inked his Batman deal before Gunn and Safran were made chief executives. I imagine they would have wanted to keep Reeves and Pattinson around given the bucks they earned. But I also imagine it makes Reeves’ life easier by already being set up before the new chiefs’ arrival.

It kind of stinks for Gunn and Safran that they seemingly don’t have Batman. That’s a big disadvantage against the new DC Studios, but it won’t hurt WB if Reeves makes more hits.

As so much of the THR article reads like speculation, who really knows, though? Maybe Gunn and Safran intend to bring Jenkins, Gadot, Johnson, Cavill and Snyder all back, and bring Reeves into the fold. It is possible. I doubt it very much, but it’s possible. The article doesn’t state they are out for sure. But if you read between the lines a little, it looks like a brand new set of DC movies are coming.
    Last edited by Brian B; 12-09-2022 at 01:24 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Allen Heinberg wrote the screenplay for the first movie. He wasn't around for 84
    That really does explain a lot.

WW84 was pretty awful IMHO.

The Wrap reports Patty walked rather than make big story changes, which is interesting if true.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I’m sure Wonder Woman 3’s script and development had problems, but some of it may come down to money issues. The article mentions Gal Gadot was due a big payday if she did another Wonder Woman movie. Well, WB Discovery isn’t doing well financially. Put that together, and it makes sense why Gunn and Safran might part ways with Gal Gadot’s Diana.

Money issues and more explain the Rock’s seeming lack of future at DC Studios, too. The Rock had his shot. He missed. He convinced WB to spend $290 million on an attempt to create a superhero franchise for himself. No studio would spend more big money for sequels to a proven loser at the box office. Also, it probably wasn’t a great idea for the Rock to have likely irked new DC Studios co-chief Safran, by getting a separate Black Adam flick instead of appearing in Safran’s Shazam as a villain, as originally planned. It surely doesn’t help the Rock, either, to attempt to pressure DC Studios through a Twitter campaign, making promises about movie developments he can’t make happen, like Cavill’s return. It’s nearly stabbing the new co-chief executives, Gunn and Safran, in the back.

Now, imagine that you are Gunn and Safran. Do you proceed with plans for bringing Cavill back as Superman, while Cavill is making Twitter pronouncements about returning in conjunction with the Rock? Hell, NO. As new bosses, you do not hire people who undermine your authority. If I’m Gunn and Safran, I’m not taking a meeting or so much as a phone call from Cavill or his agent. If it’s true Cavill’s gone, at least he has his well-earned Golden Raspberry from BvS.

Which brings us to the man, the myth, the guy who tried to name the DC universe after himself — Zack Snyder. It’s been well reported Zack angered a lot of people with strong suspicions he played a role in a social media campaign to pressure DC into releasing the “Snyder cut.” WB and others found a significant number of those Tweets and posts were fake, the work of bots and influencers traceable to a former agency. Who paid for it? Well, who benefited? It really doesn’t mean Snyder led or paid for the social media campaign, but it’s something that might arouse suspicions. It’s not something new bosses would ever tolerate.

As for Momoa as Lobo, why not? I can see him nailing that role. Momoa is a proven money maker.

I imagine Matt Reeves is feeling pretty happy that he inked his Batman deal before Gunn and Safran were made chief executives. I imagine they would have wanted to keep Reeves and Pattinson around given the bucks they earned. But I also imagine it makes Reeves’ life easier by already being set up before the new chiefs’ arrival.

It kind of stinks for Gunn and Safran that they seemingly don’t have Batman. That’s a big disadvantage against the new DC Studios, but it won’t hurt WB if Reeves makes more hits.

As so much of the THR article reads like speculation, who really knows, though? Maybe Gunn and Safran intend to bring Jenkins, Gadot, Johnson, Cavill and Snyder all back, and bring Reeves into the fold. It is possible. I doubt it very much, but it’s possible. The article doesn’t state they are out for sure. But if you read between the lines a little, it looks like a brand new set of DC movies are coming.
    In order...

I can totally see them wanting to get rid of Gal in order to save money. That being said... okay, Jenkins turned in a stinker, and refused to do a rewrite and either walked or was let go. There has been no definitive word on Gal Gadot and if she's staying or going yet, so it is possible she will stay around. We'll have to wait and see.

Honestly, Rock pissed ME off with his promotion of Black Adam. It's like he pushed for a movie of Black Adam vs Superman, but was told he needed an origin story first. But he really wants the OTHER movie, so he hyped up the Superman angle to high heaven, even though their meeting was a post-credits scene that may not lead anywhere. And if Safran is angry, I'm totally on his side because Black Adam is a SHAZAM villain, not a Superman villain. He should have been introduced in that series.

With all of that, I'm not sure there would be any reason to be angry at Cavill, though. Yeah, he released that Instagram video saying he was back as Superman- after he came back as Superman and was presumably told they were working on a new Superman film. The guy has a great look, and has obvious love for the character. I hope they do bring him back and give him a proper Superman movie to show what he can really do.

What suspicions? It's known that Snyder played a roll in the campaign. If not by creating bots and fake accounts to push it, then by releasing stills and BTS shots from his version.

Chris Evans going from Johnny Storm to Captain America worked, because he was going from a B-list supporting character in a movie made by Fox to an A-List lead character in a Marvel Studios film. Momoa would be going FROM and A-List main character in a WB studios movie to a D-List main character in another WB Studios movie. And as much as I've always said audiences were intelligent enough to figure out multiple versions of a single character over multiple types of media, there's no way there wouldn't be mass confusion from general audiences over why Aquaman was suddenly wearing Kiss makeup and smoking a cigar (And personally, I've never liked the character. I've only ever read one story with him that I liked, and it was fan fiction and he was only a minor part in it).

Has the sequel to Reeve's film officially been greenlit? I seem to recall he was starting work on a first draft, but there wasn't an official greenlight from the studio. I thought that odd at the time, considering how successful the first movie was.

I'l say it, I'm kind of sick of Batman. The majority of DC comics coming out now are Batman or Bat-family comics, and he's had 8 solo films and 2 (or 3) team-up movies in the past 30 years. Let Reeves do his thing, and creat a new universe where for the moment he's only mentioned, not seen. IF they do a new Justice League movie, have his first appearance be in that. In the meantime, give other characters a chance to shine.

I'm still concerned, but I'll wait until an official release by Gunn and Safran with specifics on the future of the DCU before I do (or don't) panic.

Amazing Member

Yeah I think we all sort of knew something like this was coming I really wish that gunn and Safran could just use the matt reeves batman universe to start a new dcu that to me would make actual sense but reeves will probably not want that and I understand why but if he could just understand how beloved all the characters in the dcu are aside from batman. I mean the fact is I am just sick and tired of the only quality dc films being batman films Wonder Woman and man of steel were both great and I think are something to build off of use those films as an emphasis for a new universe with all these characters and by the way it sounds like just patty Jenkins quit ww3 not gadot in fact gadot might actually be coming back we don't know yet either way but if a reboot is coming James gunn needs to convince matt reeves to allow his batman film universe to start a bigger universe of films now they would obviously have to get Pattinson on board for a justice league film potentially but by the time that justice league comes out pattinson could be heading into his 4th film as batman like hemsworth was for Thor. Bu in the end whatever they do as long as they have us the fans in mind then I don't care what kind of universe their making is!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    They all got payed. Part of the reason the DCU is in the state its in is they're hesitance to start over after JL failed.
    This. It's business and it's telling stories. 40 years ago DC decided it wanted to reboot, didn't want to pull the trigger on it completely because it liked certain existing things too much to just start over and build back up to it. They've been patchwork of stop and start reboots ever since and never had the same cohesion again. Can't do that with the film universe. You want alternate universe stories? Fine. But the actual main universe does in fact need to be all or nothing imo. Even if you stick with Gadot and Cavill, you probably should make them reboots of the characters instead.

At some point you just need to rip the bandaid off or accept that the franchise will always be a bit of mess and have the same problems. Imo it was stupid to start with Snyder to begin with. His Superman was fine, but even that showed he wanted to experiment with characters. Once his second film was a mix of DKR and Death of Superman along with a WW introduction... it was obvious it was more about getting his favorite stuff in than building a franchise. There's a reason Marvel did stand alones and the first Avengers was a generic "aliens nobody cares about attack Earth and the big heroes unite for the first time" stupid simple film that is impossible to screw up.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Batfleck89 View Post
    Yeah I think we all sort of knew something like this was coming I really wish that gunn and Safran could just use the matt reeves batman universe to start a new dcu that to me would make actual sense but reeves will probably not want that and I understand why but if he could just understand how beloved all the characters in the dcu are aside from batman. I mean the fact is I am just sick and tired of the only quality dc films being batman films Wonder Woman and man of steel were both great and I think are something to build off of use those films as an emphasis for a new universe with all these characters and by the way it sounds like just patty Jenkins quit ww3 not gadot in fact gadot might actually be coming back we don't know yet either way but if a reboot is coming James gunn needs to convince matt reeves to allow his batman film universe to start a bigger universe of films now they would obviously have to get Pattinson on board for a justice league film potentially but by the time that justice league comes out pattinson could be heading into his 4th film as batman like hemsworth was for Thor. Bu in the end whatever they do as long as they have us the fans in mind then I don't care what kind of universe their making is!
    Which ironically was the problem WB had with Nolan back in the day. They had an incredibly well received Batman franchise that was adored and made bank, yet they couldn't use it as a springboard because the director didn't want it to be tarnished by being connected to other things. So he was allowed to go make a finale where all of a sudden we went from Batman in his first few years to a has been Batman going out for one last ride. At some point WB needs a Feige to put their foot down and say "no these are our characters, you were hired to make films with them, if you can't play ball with us you got to go and we'll just take the baton from where you left off and go in the direction we want. There was literally no reason why after TDK you couldn't have had a Superman film and then all of a sudden the grounded Batman films had it's first superhuman and you natural branch out from there. And honestly, if you have to lose a few actors, so be it. So instead when Marvel was building Avengers from 08-12 you had to wait for Nolan to make his final Batman film before you could move on (and yeah I know they tried GL and it failed).

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Which ironically was the problem WB had with Nolan back in the day. They had an incredibly well received Batman franchise that was adored and made bank, yet they couldn't use it as a springboard because the director didn't want it to be tarnished by being connected to other things. So he was allowed to go make a finale where all of a sudden we went from Batman in his first few years to a has been Batman going out for one last ride. At some point WB needs a Feige to put their foot down and say "no these are our characters, you were hired to make films with them, if you can't play ball with us you got to go and we'll just take the baton from where you left off and go in the direction we want. There was literally no reason why after TDK you couldn't have had a Superman film and then all of a sudden the grounded Batman films had it's first superhuman and you natural branch out from there. And honestly, if you have to lose a few actors, so be it. So instead when Marvel was building Avengers from 08-12 you had to wait for Nolan to make his final Batman film before you could move on (and yeah I know they tried GL and it failed).
    With how WB has handled doing a shared universe, I certainly don't blame Nolan for not wanting his Batman trilogy to be associated with crap like the Green Lantern movie. A shared universe is fine when done well, but has become greatly overrated by superhero fans who have come to treat it as the be all, end all.

If people want a DC shared universe that badly, there's various comics and shows to choose from already. There is nothing wrong with self contained projects and not everything has to be like the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Two things:

First, the has-been Batman did make sense for the story. Nolan was making a Batman set in the real world, and he took a hell of a beating in The Dark Knight. The fact that he was once again hunted by the police, combined with his cumulative injuries- yeah, he would be a cripple after all of that. He's not the kind of Batman that could, say, survive floating in space from the moon, then survive re-entry, then survive gliding down to a landing (still the most ri-goddamn-diculous thing I've ever read).

Second- your comment about having a Feige saying "no these are our characters, you were hired to make films with them, if you can't play ball with us you got to go and we'll just take the baton from where you left off and go in the direction we want."- isn't that what everyone is complaining about now with Marvel films? That they are all boilerplate, homogenous films that are practically indistinguishable from one another? That directors don't get to have their visions realized in order to continue the shared universe that has been developed?

So, I've been hearing that Patty was going to bring back Steve Trevor yet again. Not sure if it's true, but if it is, I'm glad WB passed. Trevor's story is DONE, and as much as I like Chris Pine, I have no desire to see him back again. There's also talk that Gal Gadot will still be Diana and that WW3 will move forward, just under a new creative team.

To be fair during the MCU's Phase 1 WB released 6 DC films Dark Knight, Dark Knight Rises, Watchmen, Jonah Hex, Losers, & Green Lantern with Man of Steel in Postproduction when Avengers came out.

& Until the MCU no one were doing interconnective cinematic superhero universes even with the variety of comic book films coming out in the 00's and not even Studios with Multiple Marvel IPs like Fox heck they didn't even do it the X-Men films at the time were mostly Wolverine vehicles they weren't even spinning off the XCU back then to other characters like X-Factor, Excalibur, Deadpool, Cable, New Mutants, Alpha Flight, or X-Force or anyone they also had Daredevil and the FF Fox possibly had more Marvel Character than Marvel at the time.

Also, in 2008 The Dark Knight was the 1st Billion Dollar Superhero movie even Iron Man and Incredible Hulk combined didn't come close to that. It was also a critical darling with Oscar Buzz with Ledger winning posthumously. By comparison Iron Man at the time was seen as a nice successful comeback for RDJ who might get a little franchise out of it.

Hindsight it wonderful but WB had a financial and critical hit with the Dark Knight Series while experimenting with various other DC characters and releasing dozens of other films each year including the Harry Potter Series.

Probably for the best, its hard to overstate just how bad WW 84 was - the only consolation was not paying to see it in a theater.

My guess is WB would have been willing to work with Jenkins but she decided to take her ball and go home, fair enough that is her choice.

and yeah i wouldn't be surprised if WB decided to take this opportunity to recast, they are desperate to save money any way they can, and while Gadot certainly looks the part she isn't exactly a great actress.

I also agree that Rock had his shot. in retrospect given his performance in Jumanji it seems silly that he didn't just play Shazam, but hey i'm happy with Zach Levi in the part. Rock would have been great in that role but wanted to play the edgy anti-hero Black Adam who really has no business headlining a movie in the first place (imo). oh well

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Probably for the best, its hard to overstate just how bad WW 84 was - the only consolation was not paying to see it in a theater.

My guess is WB would have been willing to work with Jenkins but she decided to take her ball and go home, fair enough that is her choice.

and yeah i wouldn't be surprised if WB decided to take this opportunity to recast, they are desperate to save money any way they can, and while Gadot certainly looks the part she isn't exactly a great actress.

I also agree that Rock had his shot. in retrospect given his performance in Jumanji it seems silly that he didn't just play Shazam, but hey i'm happy with Zach Levi in the part. Rock would have been great in that role but wanted to play the edgy anti-hero Black Adam who really has no business headlining a movie in the first place (imo). oh well
    She's better than most of the ideas fans suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Jeff Sneider says he’s heard Patty Jenkins’ Rogue Squadron script was a mess and that she’s a nightmare to deal with behind the scenes.
    The first part I think is also being reported for Wonder Woman III I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth