Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Man of Steel 2 Possibly Cancelled/Gunn and Safran Doing a Full Reboot of the DCU

The rest of the DC slate remains in flux, or at least being kept deep in a pocket of Gunn’s own utility belt but there are several rumors and possible scenarios to consider ahead of next week’s meeting.

The first, which builds on the shuttering of Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3, is the closing curtain of the Snyderverse, and the heroes cast by filmmaker Zack Snyder for his Justice League. This one sees the shutting down of Man of Steel 2, with a returning Henry Cavill, and having no more Aquaman, fronted by Jason Momoa.

These characters are to cameo in Flash, the highly-anticipated time travel adventure movie that is due to release June 16. Cavill shot his part of the cameo in September. But sources say there is a debate inside the studio as whether or not to keep the cameo and if its inclusion promises something that studio would have no plans on delivering.

A Warners insider cautions that no plans have been finalized and that Flash remains an unlocked picture.

The Cavill situation is a more than a little thorny as the actor made a cameo in Black Adam, the DC-centric movie released in October. The Monday after the movie opened, Cavill posted a video on Instagram where he announced, “I wanted to make it official — I am back as Superman.”

Popular on THR
    0 of 2 minutes, 42 seconds
    00:05
    02:42
    And at that time, he was not incorrect. Warner Bros. was indeed developing a sequel for 2013’s Man of Steel and actively meeting with writers. Andy Muschietti, who directed Flash, even expressed interest in sitting behind the camera for something that would have brought a tone similar to the hopeful and heroic colors of the 1978 movie directed by Richard Donner, considered a benchmark in comic book movies. In fact, the current leadership team at Warner Bros Pictures — Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy — did desire one more go-around of the Snyderverse heroes, possibly even having another Justice League movie with those actors.

But that was before Gunn and Safran began formulating their new (and still in flux) plan.

Also unlikely is a sequel to Black Adam. Despite the hype surrounding the movie of launching a new corner of DC, a lot of it led by star Dwayne Johnson, the movie has only grossed $385 million worldwide and insiders at the studio say the movie, which cost more than $190 million to produce (two sources peg the actual cost at $230 million, not including marketing), will be lucky to break even, even considering ancillary revenue. Even if the movie does eke out a minimal profit, any follow-up’s inherent rising costs dim the prospect of a sequel.

Johnson hoped to carve out his own piece of the DC pie, but multiple sources say his playing up of a returning Cavill and his own involvement with DC may not be endearing him to the new management. Johnson and Cavill are both managed by Dany Garcia, who is also Johnson’s producing partner. The perception of Adam turning a profit or not is a conflagration now being waged in public, with Johnson tweeting the movie would net over $50 million after a Variety story said the movie would lose over $50 million theatrically.
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235276804/

Damn I might get what I wanted after all: a new Superman that isn’t Cavill or the Coates/Abrams project.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Spectacular Member

I’ve won

I’ve finally won

Fucking YES

Hard reboot here we go!!!

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I'm guessing BA bad numbers was the deciding factor in this. Had it done better in theaters, we might be halfway to MOS2.
    Assassinate Putin!

**** I’m kind of shocked. On one hand hell yeah, good riddance to the Snyderverse! I’ll be glad to never see Eisenberg Lex again. But… do I trust Gunn of all people to do right by Superman, Wonder Woman, and all the non-Bat characters? Not really. It’s cool that he wants to use Lobo ASAP but I’m not exactly willing to take a leap of faith with Gunn here. Don’t have a choice in the matter I suppose.

Man I would love to see David Corenswet be the new Superman.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I just remember that Cavill left The Witcher apparently cause of Superman.
    I'm now kinda doubting this. Would they really shut the door at the guy again after all the circus they made with his return?
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm guessing BA bad numbers was the deciding factor in this. Had it done better in theaters, we might be halfway to MOS2.
    Nah, Gunn and Safran want a clean do over. They want to end Momoa as Aquaman too even though the guy made a billion in his last solo. Box office numbers don’t matter, this is just the new regime not wanting to be chained to what the old regimes did.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I just remember that Cavill left The Witcher apparently cause of Superman.
    I'm now kinda doubting this. Would they really shut the door at the guy again after all the circus they made with his return?
    If you read the article it’s because De Luca wanted to give the Snyderverse guys a send off before rebooting. Gunn and Safran however just want to pull the plug asap. When Cavill made that post it was very much the plan to do MoS2 with him. But since Zaslav picked his new DC heads, those heads want to go in a different direction, just like how Zaslav didn’t want to do what Hamada was planning.

Didn't black Adam NOT go to China?
    Anywhere else?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you read the article it’s because De Luca wanted to give the Snyderverse guys a send off before rebooting. Gunn and Safran however just want to pull the plug asap. When Cavill made that post it was very much the plan to do MoS2 with him. But since Zaslav picked his new DC heads, those heads want to go in a different direction, just like how Zaslav didn’t want to do what Hamada was planning.
    Well, then they should just announce they are rebooting as soon as possible and never look back, cause the **** show behind the scenes is getting tiresome.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Well geez. I felt full on reboot was the way to go in the first place, but all this indecision is getting annoying. And now I feel even more bad for Cavill, and now Gadot.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Well, then they should just announce they are rebooting as soon as possible and never look back, cause the **** show behind the scenes is getting tiresome.
    Gunn and Safran present the new plan to Zaslav next week. If he signs off on it we might very well get an official announcement that they’re starting over.

Spectacular Member

Do I trust James Gunn with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman

No

Do I trust him to make a DC universe that’s halfway tolerable and isn’t box office poison

Hell yeah

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The behind the scenes roller coaster of the DCU continues to be far more entertaining than the movies themselves.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The behind the scenes roller coaster of the DCU continues to be far more entertaining than the movies themselves.
    Ditto. As someone who's not invested at all in which DC movies get made, this entire thing is hilarious.

Though I do sympathize with Cavill, getting screwed over once more.

Spectacular Member

I hope to god that James succeeds in at least stomping this universe out of its misery

A successful DC movie cannot occur within the snyderverse

Scientifically not possible

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Ditto. As someone who's not invested at all in which DC movies get made, this entire thing is hilarious.

Though I do sympathize with Cavill, getting screwed over once more.
    It is kind of funny in a fucked up way. All the social media accounts welcomed him back and now they’re showing him the door. Sasha is likely out too, one movie as Supergirl and then she’s done sucks for her.