Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's interesting that they keep going back to a skirt design before we got Gadot's suit.
    They should go back to a skirt design. Wonder Woman is meant to possess "the beauty of Aphrodite." She ought to be happy to show her body off to an extant (obviously you can go too far with that. She shouldn't be wearing a thong, but a skirt is fine).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius
    Even in Rucka's first run, he wanted to change her suit to be something more hoplite inspired but was only used for the Medusa fight.
    No offence to Rucka but that would have been a bad idea. Wonder Woman is a champion of peace, her attire should not be militaristic.

If you don't get what I'm saying I recommend watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2uzuLkGhY

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    They should go back to a skirt design. Wonder Woman is meant to possess "the beauty of Aphrodite." She ought to be happy to show her body off to an extant (obviously you can go too far with that. She shouldn't be wearing a thong, but a skirt is fine).
    I would say that WW was designed to represent the feminine ideal while still being as strong as any man, so beyond her Greek roots, symbolically it fits for her to wear a skirt.

Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz pitched Wonder Woman: Bondage which would have been a modern look at the character’s Golden Age bondage subtext but more extreme given how the sketch Sienkiewicz did was about testing his comfort levels. There's a lot of the usual talk about Diana being more of a symbol than a person and about Marston's take being the most interesting version of the character. This certainly belongs to the 'Thank Hera it didn't get made' category.

Here are sources with more information: DC Women Kicking Ass Tumblr Blog, Bleeding Cool Follow-Up Statement by Sienkiewicz

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    Frank Miller and Bill Sienkiewicz pitched Wonder Woman: Bondage which would have been a modern look at the character’s Golden Age bondage subtext but more extreme given how the sketch Sienkiewicz did was about testing his comfort levels. There's a lot of the usual talk about Diana being more of a symbol than a person and about Marston's take being the most interesting version of the character. This certainly belongs to the 'Thank Hera it didn't get made' category.

Here are sources with more information: DC Women Kicking Ass Tumblr Blog, Bleeding Cool Follow-Up Statement by Sienkiewicz
    Ah yeah, I vaguely remember this image floating around. Yeah, Miller's involvement alone puts it in that category, lol.

Though funny for all the talk of Golden Age being the most interesting, the only modern attempt at revisiting imo that was actually good was LoWW.

Yeah, I don't know if there's a writer I'd trust addressing Wonder Woman's bondage themes less than Frank Miller. Especially considering he seems to be very fond of the "strong women want to be conquered" trope.

There's obviously the scene in The Dark Knight Strikes Again where he has Diana declare she fell in love with Superman when he "threw her down and claimed her as his own." And this continued in his All-Star Batman books where Diana responds to Clark punching her by kissing him.
    But this is also present in his Sin City books where Amazonian dominatrix Gail falls in love with Dwight when he smacks her and asserts control over her. I'm sure there are other examples.

Anyway, for all the bondage present in Martson's work, I don't think that was what he was aiming for.

As for other dropped projects....there are Wonder Woman's other attempts at the big screen.

As I recall, there was a point in the 90s or so when they wanted to make a movie starring Sandra Bullock. I don't know the details, but it would been mostly about Donna Troy inheriting the mantle from Diana--who might have died--and from what I've read about it, it was a strange mish-mash of James Bond and Batman...including a ski chase and Wonder Woman dropping through a ceiling window.

Sounded like a mess.

Justice League: Mortal which would've essentially been "Sacrifice," if Diana wasn't the active agent in the story and just a victim to get beaten to near-death by brainwashed Superman.
    Yay.

And of course, there's Joss Whedon's movie which would've spent a good chunk of its time having Steve berate Diana for not understanding anything and making things worse. Like, imagine if you took the No Man's Land scene, and instead of Diana ignoring Steve, saving the village, and it being a big triumphant victory...Diana ignoring Steve only results in the bad guys panicking, shooting the civilians, and escaping so Steve can yell at her. If you thought the animated movie's Steve was insufferable, imagine if we got him telling Diana (actual quote) "You're not a hero, Diana. You're a f***ing tourist!"
    Apparently, Whedon was of the belief Wonder Woman couldn't be a real hero without suffering in her life, so the movie would've been about humbling her via defeats, torture, and doing a sexy dance to distract the bad guys.
    Yikes.

Gotta say...for all that can be said about the Wonder Woman movies we got, we definitely dodged some bullets.

Yes bondage is something we definitely don't want and hopefully won't have to deal with again. It's also something that kept coming up in Wonder Woman stories in the 60s and 70s.

And there are multiple stories inspired by Golden Age that have nothing to do with bondage. Look at the Steve Orlando stories, look at the Trina Robbins and Kurt Busiek miniseries, look at the Amy Reeder stories, look at Phil Jimenez, etc

Oh yeah, and speaking of "YIKES," there was also this gem from edge-lord supreme Mark Millar:

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Oh yeah, and speaking of "YIKES," there was also this gem from edge-lord supreme Mark Millar:
    Oh, my lord WTF. She was nearly sexually assaulted by Zeus in the first issue of Challenge of the Gods, and he's like "naw 22-page full R scene." Like bro you're not edgy your sad.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post

No offence to Rucka but that would have been a bad idea. Wonder Woman is a champion of peace, her attire should not be militaristic.

If you don't get what I'm saying I recommend watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2uzuLkGhY
    An actual fabric skirt? In the Golden Age comics she never wore that originally... They were culottes ( loose shorts that look skirt like but would be more modest)