Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Gerber wrote Wonder Woman well in his Phantom Zone mini. I would have liked to see how he wrote her and her world, but Miller having any influence at all would be worrisome, so it's unlikely it would be better than Perez.

Gerber plus Year One-era Frank would have obliterated Byrne's Superman in terms of quality though

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Gerber wrote Wonder Woman well in his Phantom Zone mini. I would have liked to see how he wrote her and her world, but Miller having any influence at all would be worrisome, so it's unlikely it would be better than Perez.

Gerber plus Year One-era Frank would have obliterated Byrne's Superman in terms of quality though
    Think WW's portion of that pitch would have entirely been by Gerber. Never read anything by Gerber so I can't really speak to him to as a writer.

That said can't really see many others doing better than Perez, especially given how bad apparently the original Patterson pitch was.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think WW's portion of that pitch would have entirely been by Gerber. Never read anything by Gerber so I can't really speak to him to as a writer.

That said can't really see many others doing better than Perez, especially given how bad apparently the original Patterson pitch was.
    Correct, the divide from what I recall was Miller did Batman by himself, Gerber did Wonder Woman by himself, and they both would work together to revamp Superman. Gerber’s Phantom Zone mini is great, totally stand-alone and makes for a nice Superman horror story if you’re interested in that. I think he would have done a solid WW but I have no clue if it would have been better than Perez, definitely not better art wise anyway.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I just LOVE how lush, luxe, and slick Phil's inks look!

Fantastic Member

That's just fanart by James Tucker.

Though for media there was the "Wonder Woman in WW2" show that got reworked into the JSA film.
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-10-2022 at 07:21 AM.

Fantastic Member

A few Justice League characters got their own solo-spotlight featuring episode in Bruce Timm's Superman animated series in the 90s. Batman, Aquaman, the Flash, Green Lantern, and Doctor Fate all had their own solo-spotlight featuring episodes, and when I was young I remember seeing a Bruce Timm animation-style Wonder Woman on a Kraft Macaroni & Cheese box back in 1998:

I always wondered, was Wonder Woman supposed to get a solo-spotlight featuring episode in Bruce Timm's Superman animated series, but then it just got scrapped for whatever reason? She's a part of the DC trinity, so it was always bizarre that she never got one.

Yes, Paul Dini wanted to put WW in the Batman Beyond episode that had the future version of JL but there was some form of restriction on the character at the time. They used Barda instead.

A version of DCAU Wonder Woman that pre-dated the Justice League cartoon actually showed up in some DCAU tie-in comics.

Yes, Paul Dini wanted to put WW in the Batman Beyond episode that had the future version of JL but there was some form of restriction on the character at the time. They used Barda instead.

A version of DCAU Wonder Woman that pre-dated the Justice League cartoon actually showed up in some DCAU tie-in comics.
    Wasn’t there a rule that you couldn’t use WW in anything outside of comics if she wasn’t a lead? That’s what kept Donna and Cassie out of S1 of YJ if I remember right.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Wasn’t there a rule that you couldn’t use WW in anything outside of comics if she wasn’t a lead? That’s what kept Donna and Cassie out of S1 of YJ if I remember right.
    Seems like there is, or was given all Diana's cameos since DCAU.

Dini theorized on it when he was asked by WW never appeared in any pre-JL show material. Sometimes this gets conflated with the agreement with the Marston estate where DC has to continually publish Wonder Woman to keep the rights but I don't see why that would extend to the Wonder Girls since neither of them or even the title "Wonder Girl" were invented by him.

Don't think the '03 Titans show had any intention of using Donna and Weisman did say when he was starting YJ, the only characters off limits in the toybox for the first season were Wonder Girls. Given how...he did absolutely nothing of consequence with them in the seasons where he could use them I think indicates we weren't robbed of any great Wonder Girl material.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Live action front we have the Joss Whedon film

Of course...the NBC show

And her role in JL:Mortal

Seems like there is, or was given all Diana's cameos since DCAU.

Dini theorized on it when he was asked by WW never appeared in any pre-JL show material. Sometimes this gets conflated with the agreement with the Marston estate where DC has to continually publish Wonder Woman to keep the rights but I don't see why that would extend to the Wonder Girls since neither of them or even the title "Wonder Girl" were invented by him.

Don't think the '03 Titans show had any intention of using Donna and Weisman did say when he was starting YJ, the only characters off limits in the toybox for the first season were Wonder Girls. Given how...he did absolutely nothing of consequence with them in the seasons where he could use them I think indicates we weren't robbed of any great Wonder Girl material.
    If I remember right the '03 Titans cartoon wasn't actually allowed to use Donna so she only had a cameo in some group shots.

I know the tie-in comic brought her in and I think used the design they came up with for the show.

I think YJ's treatment of the Wonder Girls would've been very different if they'd had to actually have one of them as a main character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Live action front we have the Joss Whedon film
    It's interesting that they keep going back to a skirt design before we got Gadot's suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If I remember right the '03 Titans cartoon wasn't actually allowed to use Donna so she only had a cameo in some group shots.

I know the tie-in comic brought her in and I think used the design they came up with for the show.

I think YJ's treatment of the Wonder Girls would've been very different if they'd had to actually have one of them as a main character.
    If he didn't balloon the cast to include every vaguely "young DC hero"-type he also would have been able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's interesting that they keep going back to a skirt design before we got Gadot's suit.
    Going through this and some other stuff, I am convinced the swimsuit was never going to be her movie costume. Even in Rucka's first run, he wanted to change her suit to be something more hoplite inspired but was only used for the Medusa fight.

If he didn't balloon the cast to include every vaguely "young DC hero"-type he also would have been able to do that.
    I'm talking circa season 1.

Incredible Member

Of "Hands of the Gods," this CBR article says "Today, all that exists of Hands Of The Gods are its cover, some concept art, and an Amazon listing that hasn’t been updated in years." If that's the case, I wonder why they couldn't have gone with a different artist and maybe changed the title?

Of the Adam Hughes project, I remember him saying that he was turning in the pages out of order so that DC couldn't pressure him to finish by publishing the first issue. His self-awareness of his slow production speed meant that he didn't want to end up with a project that had significant delays between issues.