Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don’t think Prieat has done anything particularly egregious yet. The book is just boring and rehashing poorly written stories from 20 years ago. Every time I give Priest a shot he fails to impress me. Halfway through the books run and it’s biggest crime is being boring.
    I gotta agree on the boring part.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    have dinner and almost mess with him in bed, plus it was suggested that when he was with Clark he also saw that guy. It seems that people forget that outside of the comics Lois has been seen with half JL (Smallville), with Bruce and almost went to Gotham with him (the animated series), without forgetting what almost happened in the Snyderverse. The idea that Superman/Clark is allowed everything while Lois would be destroyed is actually the opposite, part of Superman's icon is that Clark is Lois's lap dog who shows interest in everyone and only notices Clark at the end.
    Someone hasn't read any Superman stories I can tell. The backbone of Superman and Lois Lane is the iconic love triangle between Superman-Clark Kent-Lois Lane. Way back in the beginning, it was shown Lois did in fact have an interest in Clark Kent, he's just a coward. This carried on until the eventual revel in the 1990s. There was one particular story from the 1950s, I believe was the decade, where Superman goes into the future and meet a descendant of Lois Lane with powers. He thought, from seeing a photo, he and Lois would get married. Turns out he was wrong. The story ends with Superman wondering who that mysterious man was, and Lois happily saying she's going on a date with Clark Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Well if she did, she would be ripped to shreds by the mostly male readership. Hell, earlier in this thread, someone called her "toxic" for merely having dinner with an old friend while Clark was dead.
    I cut that out of my comment, like twice. But, yeah, it's true. People will tear Lois to shreds if she did it. Heck, there's a segment of Superman fans who absolutely HATE Lois Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Lois and Clark were not a couple when Lois was dating those people. She wasn't cheating on him. Clark wasn't even romantically interested in Lois for most of Smallville.
    He was, he just never fully realized it until Lana was finally out of the picture. Clark would always get jealous when Lois dated other guys on Smallville. But your point is correct, she wasn't with him while dating someone else.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don’t think Prieat has done anything particularly egregious yet. The book is just boring and rehashing poorly written stories from 20 years ago. Every time I give Priest a shot he fails to impress me. Halfway through the books run and it’s biggest crime is being boring.
    Good to hear from you but I gotta wonder, what were the rehash elements from issues #1-4?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Good to hear from you but I gotta wonder, what were the rehash elements from issues #1-4?
    I don't post much anymore, I think comics are a lot more enjoyable when you don't get into the nitty gritty online debates.

So, I think the general idea of Lois dealing with Clark being gone for years where its minutes from her perspective was pretty well mined in the early 2000's. This is obviously a decompressed take on that theme. The actual vanishment was one issue, but if I'm remembering correctly it went onto feed into that era a bit and was used to create some tension because Clark didn't actually tell Lois the whole story at first. The whole Lois/Wonder Woman conflict was also a staple back then, with I think Jimenez's Wonder Woman issue was where it was actually resolved. It's been hit on in a few others over the years since. The idea of Clark encountering a world that doesn't want to be saved has been hit on a few times as well.

Again, I don't really think anything here has crossed a line cause its clear those covers were designed to rage bait a bit. My biggest issue is the book is its slow, the framing sequences just are not working for me and the we've been stuck on one Planet for half the run more or less. It's made little or no progress. The Odyssey was a epic journey. This is most definitely not that. I also find Priest's political commentary, even though I'm pretty aligned with it in general, to be hamfisted and kinda lame. Not as bad as Waid on Champions, but up there.

If it ends up this Green Lantern is the source of all the issues we're seeing with Clark, which is looking more and more likely as she's taking up the middle portion of the book and I think the last portion will have to actually resolve all the issues, the book will be a ridiculous failure.

Honestly, I've tried reading Priest a few times. People speak really highly of his writing. But just never clicks with me.
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-23-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I don't post much anymore, I think comics are a lot more enjoyable when you don't get into the nitty gritty online debates.

So, I think the general idea of Lois dealing with Clark being gone for years where its minutes from her perspective was pretty well mined in the early 2000's. This is obviously a decompressed take on that theme. The actual vanishment was one issue, but if I'm remembering correctly it went onto feed into that era a bit and was used to create some tension because Clark didn't actually tell Lois the whole story at first. The whole Lois/Wonder Woman conflict was also a staple back then, with I think Jimenez's Wonder Woman issue was where it was actually resolved. It's been hit on in a few others over the years since. The idea of Clark encountering a world that doesn't want to be saved has been hit on a few times as well.

Again, I don't really think anything here has crossed a line cause its clear those covers were designed to rage bait a bit. My biggest issue is the book is its slow, the framing sequences just are not working for me and the we've been stuck on one Planet for half the run more or less. It's made little or no progress. The Odyssey was a epic journey. This is most definitely not that. I also find Priest's political commentary, even though I'm pretty aligned with it in general, to be hamfisted and kinda lame. Not as bad as Waid on Champions, but up there.

If it ends up this Green Lantern is the source of all the issues we're seeing with Clark, which is looking more and more likely as she's taking up the middle portion of the book and I think the last portion will have to actually resolve all the issues, the book will be a ridiculous failure.

Honestly, I've tried reading Priest a few times. People speak really highly of his writing. But just never clicks with me.
    Yeah I kinda agree on the GL part, although I am enjoying the book well enough to see it through till the end. But I wonder if the Hope GL stuff will be the single most remembered thing about the series...

I was kinda intrigued by some of the earlier bits like when Clark first came to "Kansas."
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

She may be evil, but she's definitely a good-looking Lantern.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Life is better when you're not constantly debating.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Yeah I kinda agree on the GL part, although I am enjoying the book well enough to see it through till the end. But I wonder if the Hope GL stuff will be the single most remembered thing about the series...

I was kinda intrigued by some of the earlier bits like when Clark first came to "Kansas."
    If Priest doesn't cop out with Clark having an affair. If not, Superman Lost will be one of those "underrated" stories.

SUPERMAN: LOST #7
    Written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
    Art and cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
    Variant cover by LEE WEEKS
    1:25 variant cover by MONTOS
    $4.99 US | 32 pages | 7 of 10 | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 10/10/23
    Superman is confronted with the specter of his own possible future when his way home is blocked by an alternate version of himself. Meanwhile, Lois employs the nuclear option to help Clark out of his malaise by making a deal with the devil—Lex Luthor!
    Love the Godfather aesthetic of the cover. Was hoping to see Priest write Lex, glad he managed to work him into this.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Lex always works his way in .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Love the Godfather aesthetic of the cover. Was hoping to see Priest write Lex, glad he managed to work him into this.
    Thought this had more of a Scarface aesthetic. Looks great though.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Thought this had more of a Scarface aesthetic. Looks great though.
    Hah you’re right, I was thinking of the black and white Godfather post, but Scarface is more likely to be the inspiration.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Hah you’re right, I was thinking of the black and white Godfather post, but Scarface is more likely to be the inspiration.
    Love this image. Great use of blank/negative space where the logo would be.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

SUPERMAN: LOST #8

Written by CHRISTOPHER PRIEST
    Art and cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ
    Variant cover by LEE WEEKS
    1:25 variant cover by DENYS COWAN and JOHN STANISCI
    $4.99 US | 32 pages | 8 of 10 | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 11/14/23
    Superman experiences a breakthrough on his path to recovery with the help of Supergirl, as the Els bond over being survivors living with the guilt of leaving behind doomed planets. Meanwhile, Lois attempts to outsmart Lex Luthor to save herself and Clark!
    This sounds great! Glad to see Kara being brought in, she’s a natural fit for a story about Superman dealing with trauma. I’m glad we will get to see Priest play with some of the traditional Mythos.

I didn't expect Supergirl to show up.