Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

damn that ending Lois could have learn to live with how Clark ended instead of who he was prior to the trip
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I am still not convinced the ending makes sense or what the rules of time travel Priest is following or how he applied them here. If the "Gatekeeper" is responsible for providing a path home for Clark that branches off after only a few days, how do all the events leading to saving Victor's planet still occur creating the Gatekeeper in the first place. Is it like a alternating loop? Clark lives the LOST timeline, resulting in the Gatekeeper. The Gatekeeper alters the past to avert a Clark going through the Lost timeline. But then there would be no Gatekeeper so Clark goes through the LOST timeline, etc. But then why would Lois remember the LOST version of Clark even if he doesn't return until after the events of LOST in Lois' timeline. So the Gatekeeper and the LOST version of Clark are essentially alternate future versions. Or is it closer to the MCU Endgame time travel and like Gamora?

Jon fans probably are taking very detailed notes from this. Overall, I think this was a weird series. Relied very heavily on fakeouts and really dragged through the first six or so issues, but got a little better in the back half.

Well that was a crappy ending to a crappy series. Glad it's over.

Haha, good point on Jon's fans taking notes here.

All the weirdness with time travel aside, Priest writes a fun Lex. Such a petty dick.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think there were interesting ideas here and moments in isolation I enjoyed but overall the series really falls flat in the end with it's unwillingness to commit to it's own premise and how a lot it's plot threads feel left ambiguous or unresolved, it's so contrived and toothless to use time travel to essentially undo what should be the emotional crux of your own story, it's not like it's set in mainline continuity so let Clark and Lois have to permanently deal with fallout of his long absence or him potentially having a child out of wed-lock instead of it just being another fake-out, even if it all doesn't necessarily lead to a fully happy ending Elseworlds exists to explore these What If? scenarios.

Probably should've been a 6 issue mini, felt the early issues with Clark lost in space and simply trying to find a way home were much stronger and the seems of the story really started to come undone the longer it went on especially everything Priest ultimately does with Hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

All the weirdness with time travel aside, Priest writes a fun Lex. Such a petty dick.
    here's hoping for a Lex Luthor ongoing title written by Priest.
    Maybe? We'll see.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    Well that was a crappy ending to a crappy series. Glad it's over.
    Haha too bad for you Clark and Lois stayed together to the end.

Reading it, pretty weird ending. Not really sure what to make of it, at least it was an interesting ride.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 01-17-2024 at 10:15 PM.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I hope a re-read will change my opinion about this series.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 01-18-2024 at 12:15 AM.

Spectacular Member 9AlphaOmega1's Avatar

Lots sentimental of this being a crappey book, which I disagree, I found this series enjoyable. It is a story of things going wrong very quickly and how to get things back together, whether or not one successful is another story.

The ending did felt rushed to me, I thought it was 12 issues. I did wish the consequences of what happened stay, but Priest did set things up to be explained away, I honestly did not where the ending was going to be until I finished the last issues.

Time travel is not real science it is use as a tool in science fiction. There no real rules of time travel but just ideas and thoughts, I am okay how Priest use in this story.

Also this a lot better than what is going with another on going series and with its status quo.
    Last edited by 9AlphaOmega1; 01-18-2024 at 01:15 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Superman went to Priest in a dream and told him to drop all the baggage by the end of the story.
    "Cable was right!"

I kind of got hyped about the book when i read even a little part of the thread. I hope DC will make a Deluxe Edition for Superman: Lost. I prefer to collect my mini or maxi series as Deluxes. DC make so few Deluxe Editions for Superman, i get whatever i can find anyway.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    I think there were interesting ideas here and moments in isolation I enjoyed but overall the series really falls flat in the end with it's unwillingness to commit to it's own premise and how a lot it's plot threads feel left ambiguous or unresolved, it's so contrived and toothless to use time travel to essentially undo what should be the emotional crux of your own story, it's not like it's set in mainline continuity so let Clark and Lois have to permanently deal with fallout of his long absence or him potentially having a child out of wed-lock instead of it just being another fake-out, even if it all doesn't necessarily lead to a fully happy ending Elseworlds exists to explore these What If? scenarios.

Probably should've been a 6 issue mini, felt the early issues with Clark lost in space and simply trying to find a way home were much stronger and the seems of the story really started to come undone the longer it went on especially everything Priest ultimately does with Hope.

When I first started reading Superman Lost , I was really into it and thought the art work was great .
    When Hope showed up I thought that it got more interesting too .
    But the change in artists and using multiple artists really wrecked the storyline a lot .
    I personally would have been ok with Clark and Lois having to deal with all those years spent apart ( at least for Clark ) and even having a child with Hope too.
    It's not a main continuity book , so why can't Lois & Clark have some turmoil ?
    Or maybe DC wanted a Happy ending to be able to incorporate some of the story's elements into future Superman books .
    To me it started out Great with excellent art work , but unfortunately the last couple of issues and the ending were disappointing.
    But still glad that I read it each month .

I was really enjoying the series but the ending was a bit of a let down. Things were “fixed” by just breaking the space time continuum and creating a paradox of having two Clarks existing at the same time.

If it’s that easy for every Green Lantern to just drop out of hyperspace and alter events in time, reality in the DCU would constantly be collapsing in on itself. There are villains with power rings who would cause insane amounts of problems.

I do like the idea of Gatekeeper Superman out there being a cosmic guardian. I would like to see some more stories of a lone Superman detachment from his earth life dealing with far out universal threats. Wearing his awesome white suit of course.

Superman as a Jack Kirby cosmic god.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    here's hoping for a Lex Luthor ongoing title written by Priest.
    Maybe? We'll see.
    I loved Priest’s Lex! It would be great if he could do a Lex Luthor series next.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheKryptonMan View Post
    When I first started reading Superman Lost , I was really into it and thought the art work was great .
    When Hope showed up I thought that it got more interesting too .
    But the change in artists and using multiple artists really wrecked the storyline a lot .
    I personally would have been ok with Clark and Lois having to deal with all those years spent apart ( at least for Clark ) and even having a child with Hope too.
    It's not a main continuity book , so why can't Lois & Clark have some turmoil ?
    Or maybe DC wanted a Happy ending to be able to incorporate some of the story's elements into future Superman books .
    To me it started out Great with excellent art work , but unfortunately the last couple of issues and the ending were disappointing.
    But still glad that I read it each month .
    Re: artwork. Yeah, someone needs to tell Jurgens what a modern road bike looks like. The one Lex was riding in issue #9 is something from the 70s/80s. He’d def have top of the line gear, the best that money could buy, esp if it’s fitness guru Lex. [cyclist rant over ]

But I did really like Priest’s Lex. Found him and his diabolical nature pretty well written overall.

I think in general I liked the earlier issues better than the later ones. I really enjoyed the strange space travels.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog