Default Thoughts on Marvel's Street Heroes Becoming Leaders

Hi all. Has anyone else noticed this trend? Many of Marvel's street level heroes have taken on the role of leadership. In the past year or so, we have seen a number of Marvel's street level heroes level up and become the heads of organizations, groups, and municipalities. Here's what I've noticed so far:

- The Punisher has become leader of The Hand.
    - Daredevil has become leader of The Fist with the aid of Elektra and Stick.
    - Shang-Chi heads his father's Five Weapons Society.
    - Luke Cage is now mayor of New York City with the Thunderbolts under his purview.
    - Moon Knight leads the Midnight Mission.

I find this pretty cool. I smile a bit seeing seeing Luke as mayor of NYC decked out in a suit and tie. It's a far cry from silver tiaras, yellow shirts, and bumming pizzas as a Hero For Hire. While I'll always dig these characters acting as loners and teaming up to take on the latest Skrull/Nine Realms/symbiote threat, seeing them in charge of others on a fairly big scale is pretty awesome.

Of course, there is a ton of story potential as well. Daredevil's and Shang-Chi's action have caught the attention of the Avengers. All of these characters to an extent struggle with leading others. Furthermore, all of these groups and organizations just BEG to cross paths with one another. We know that Punisher and The Hand will meet with Daredevil and The Fist. Why not throw in Shang-Chi's Five Weapons Society? Or maybe you have Luke Cage tasking his Thunderbolts to halt Moon Knight and his Midnight Mission.

So, what are your thoughts on this latest trend? Should we see more street heroes take on a more commanding role? Should there be a street level crossover amongst them all that crisscrosses the world? Should we continue to see these characters be leaders or do you prefer them to return to their loner status? Would love to hear your ideas!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

I'll also add that Elektra is more or less leading the current Savage Avengers. 3rd issue was a good showcase of her using her tactical experience to direct the team

To your question, I think it's cool too. A lot of these characters have pretty untapped leadership potential, and I always like seeing this aspect highlighted

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Hi all. Has anyone else noticed this trend? Many of Marvel's street level heroes have taken on the role of leadership. In the past year or so, we have seen a number of Marvel's street level heroes level up and become the heads of organizations, groups, and municipalities. Here's what I've noticed so far:

- Luke Cage is now mayor of New York City with the Thunderbolts under his purview.

I find this pretty cool. I smile a bit seeing seeing Luke as mayor of NYC decked out in a suit and tie. It's a far cry from silver tiaras, yellow shirts, and bumming pizzas as a Hero For Hire. While I'll always dig these characters acting as loners and teaming up to take on the latest Skrull/Nine Realms/symbiote threat, seeing them in charge of others on a fairly big scale is pretty awesome.

Of course, there is a ton of story potential as well. Daredevil's and Shang-Chi's action have caught the attention of the Avengers. All of these characters to an extent struggle with leading others. Furthermore, all of these groups and organizations just BEG to cross paths with one another. We know that Punisher and The Hand will meet with Daredevil and The Fist. Why not throw in Shang-Chi's Five Weapons Society? Or maybe you have Luke Cage tasking his Thunderbolts to halt Moon Knight and his Midnight Mission.

So, what are your thoughts on this latest trend? Should we see more street heroes take on a more commanding role? Should there be a street level crossover amongst them all that crisscrosses the world? Should we continue to see these characters be leaders or do you prefer them to return to their loner status? Would love to hear your ideas!
    Makes the most logical sense to me. While the powerhouses may have the feats the street level people in theory should know what the people need and if the hero institution is real in that regard who better to know what the people may actually need than the heroes that are there at least 3-4 days a week and not out in space. It does bring prominence to their roles like the Alderman of heroes.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Makes the most logical sense to me. While the powerhouses may have the feats the street level people in theory should know what the people need and if the hero institution is real in that regard who better to know what the people may actually need than the heroes that are there at least 3-4 days a week and not out in space. It does bring prominence to their roles like the Alderman of heroes.
    As Daredevil himself put it to Iron Man shortly before he went to prison, "You call it 'street-level.' I call it 'people-level.'"
    The spider is always on the hunt.

It seems like they are tackling street level problems at a bigger level than just mugger to mugger.

So far Luke being Mayor is the weak link. Ex machina nailed the superhero becomes a politician idea. I don't trust Marvel to pull it off and the event it popped up in was a stinker.

Outside of DD, the other 3 were characters in disrepair. Their new organizations helped breath new life into them.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-09-2022 at 08:31 PM.

I like it on many levels! First of all, it gives texture to often barebones comics lore: Like, so often the Hand is just generic red ninjas. Making them a thought-out thing with a recognizable leader in Frank does a lot to make it feel realer. Ditto for Midnight mission--nice for Mooney to have a home, not a generic basement\attic\trophy room.

Also, it's fun in terms of escalation. We've seen Daredevil vs Punisher many times. DD vs Frank with color coded goon squads? Sign me up, jack

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    As Daredevil himself put it to Iron Man shortly before he went to prison, "You call it 'street-level.' I call it 'people-level.'"
    That's a good point. Seeing the street heroes lead all of these factions and groups is cool. Establishing identities within a group that seems bigger than you, that's the appeal of factions and groups. I'm a part of something grander then me.

On a deeper level though, there is a "people-level" aspect. To an extent, these groups are not above others. Rather, they are working for, with, and among others. Moon Knight is working with vampires in the Midnight Mission. Daredevil is trying to help and work with Fancy Dan and Bullet as part of The Fist. Shang-Chi is trying to work with his siblings and turn around the Five Weapons Society.

It isn't just about stopping the bad guy. With a lot of these characters it's about changing mindsets and ultimately society. With a couple of punches and kicks thrown in .

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It seems like they are tackling street level problems at a bigger level than just mugger to mugger.

So far Luke being Mayor is the weak link. Ex machina nailed the superhero becomes a politician idea. I don't trust Marvel to pull it off and the event it popped up in was a stinker.

Outside of DD, the other 3 were characters in disrepair. Their new organizations helped breath new life into them.
    Ha, your description of Luke reminds me of what's happening with Mayor Adams over in the city. Personally, I see a guy who is trying to do his best in the midst of a post-pandemic NYC. It's a struggle. I think Luke is going through the same thing as well. Storywise, I'd like to see Luke's time as mayor be highlighted. Can he still maintain his integrity or like other politicians will he compromise? He's made guest appearances here and there in various series, but a miniseries or ongoing spotlighting this would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I like it on many levels! First of all, it gives texture to often barebones comics lore: Like, so often the Hand is just generic red ninjas. Making them a thought-out thing with a recognizable leader in Frank does a lot to make it feel realer. Ditto for Midnight mission--nice for Mooney to have a home, not a generic basement\attic\trophy room.

Also, it's fun in terms of escalation. We've seen Daredevil vs Punisher many times. DD vs Frank with color coded goon squads? Sign me up, jack
    Agreed. Having these factions highlights these henchmen. They are not nameless nor are they fodder for the heroes. We can flesh them out. Plus seeing the fight between Matt and Frank become faction vs. faction makes the conflict that has been between these two for decades now take on a wider scope.

Of course, a lot of these hero groups will inevitably run into the villains' groups. I could see Luke dealing with the Maggia who attempt to reestablish themselves in the city with Wilson Fisk out of the way. Or perhaps the Five Weapons Society, The Hand, or The Fist would have to deal with Hydra or AIM. Possibilities are endless.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

It's more I don't have faith in Marvel than a lack of faith in Luke.

Christopher Priest would be a good fit for "Mayor Cage".

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

That's a good point. Seeing the street heroes lead all of these factions and groups is cool. Establishing identities within a group that seems bigger than you, that's the appeal of factions and groups. I'm a part of something grander then me.

On a deeper level though, there is a "people-level" aspect. To an extent, these groups are not above others. Rather, they are working for, with, and among others. Moon Knight is working with vampires in the Midnight Mission. Daredevil is trying to help and work with Fancy Dan and Bullet as part of The Fist. Shang-Chi is trying to work with his siblings and turn around the Five Weapons Society.

It isn't just about stopping the bad guy. With a lot of these characters it's about changing mindsets and ultimately society. With a couple of punches and kicks thrown in .

Ha, your description of Luke reminds me of what's happening with Mayor Adams over in the city. Personally, I see a guy who is trying to do his best in the midst of a post-pandemic NYC. It's a struggle. I think Luke is going through the same thing as well. Storywise, I'd like to see Luke's time as mayor be highlighted. Can he still maintain his integrity or like other politicians will he compromise? He's made guest appearances here and there in various series, but a miniseries or ongoing spotlighting this would be interesting.

Agreed. Having these factions highlights these henchmen. They are not nameless nor are they fodder for the heroes. We can flesh them out. Plus seeing the fight between Matt and Frank become faction vs. faction makes the conflict that has been between these two for decades now take on a wider scope.

Of course, a lot of these hero groups will inevitably run into the villains' groups. I could see Luke dealing with the Maggia who attempt to reestablish themselves in the city with Wilson Fisk out of the way. Or perhaps the Five Weapons Society, The Hand, or The Fist would have to deal with Hydra or AIM. Possibilities are endless.
    Thanks, and generally cosigned. Especially like your assessment on how the likes of Daredevil, Moon Knight, and Shang-Chi are trying to win hearts and minds and even change society for the better, though I would mention all of them have incurred the Avengers' distrust and suspicion in the process, which I'd take as a representation of how in real life, people seeking to improve society through nontraditional methods often incur the suspicion of those serving as enforcers of the system who can't (or perhaps won't) won't look beyond the crimefighter vs. criminal binary.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's more I don't have faith in Marvel than a lack of faith in Luke.

Christopher Priest would be a good fit for "Mayor Cage".
    I'm still disappointed that the City of (or on) Fire miniseries that was supposed to spin out of Devil's Reign got canceled, though I am hoping it can get retooled down the line as a Mayor Cage miniseries. Given Priest's skill in addressing sociopolitical topics and ideas within the context of a superhero story (first exhibit of that being his Black Panther series), he would be a good choice, if Marvel really did burn its bridges with the writer that was supposed to be doing the City of Fire mini in Devil's Reign by canceling it.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Luke being a leader was pretty common during the Bendis years. He was the leader of the New Avengers after Cap died, and he lead the Thunderbolts for a bit

I'm not sure how long any of these current status quo's will remain, but I could see all of them lasting for a good bit if Marvel wants them to... outside of Punisher. Frank leading the Hand feels like it will be so short lived like when he was Frankencastle or he had that Ironman suit. It reminds me of that time Black Panther took over for Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen. An unusual premiss that might producer some interesting moments, but will ultimately be short lived.
    The J-man

I wonder if DD's Hand offers better health benefits than Fisk's...

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    I wonder if DD's Hand offers better health benefits than Fisk's...
    Probably not. You can't top ressurection lol.