Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MCU rumor

I fell off watching every Marvel film in phase 2. So now I just watch them once in a while.

The MCU caused a few bad trends within the industry but just Hollywood goes. They are always looking for the next big thing.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-12-2022 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The problem with having a lot of Disney+ Series as well as movies is that they begin to look alike. Its a blessing and a curse. A blessing in that people know what to expect from an MCU offering, as they have incredible consistency as far as quality. But a curse because everything can be kind of samey with nothing really standing out.

It would be nice if the movies felt special again.
    Samey? How was She Hulk like Hawkeye like Moon Knight Like Ms. Marvel?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Moonknight and Ms. Marvel each felt pretty unique to me.

She-Hulk felt like a superhero version of Boston Legal or Ally McBeal.

& Hawkeye felt like Die Hard with Arrow down to the Christmas setting.

Simplest way to explain is that none of the shows are doing anything that feels important to the big picture. Not since Hawkeye anyways. With the shows/movies since then I can miss it and no big deal. The next show/movie that comes along won't reference anything I missed or necessitate any other content. The universe building is just disposable cameos.

Blessing and a curse, like I said. Sort of like how a paper plate saves you from using water to do the dishes (blessing) but fills a landfill somewhere (curse).
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-12-2022 at 06:11 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Simplest way to explain is that none of the shows are doing anything that feels important to the big picture. Not since Hawkeye anyways. With the shows/movies since then I can miss it and no big deal. The next show/movie that comes along won't reference anything I missed or necessitate any other content. The universe building is just disposable cameos.

Blessing and a curse, like I said. Sort of like how a paper plate saves you from using water to do the dishes (blessing) but fills a landfill somewhere (curse).
    That seems like the catch 22.

Some fans want every project to be building up to the next big thing while some fans don’t want to feel like they have to watch everything and want more standalone projects.

While I enjoy the buildup I understand that’s not sustainable and also enjoy a good standalone that doesn’t tie in heavily to everything else.

There must be balance.

Agents of Shields, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Ironfist, Defenders, Punisher, Inhumans, Runaways, & Cloak and Dagger.

These shows were painfully disconnected from the larger MCU and thus didn't build up to anything involving the larger picture. They also varied in quality not just against each other but season to seasons within themselves.

There just seems to be this unrealistic expectation for the DisneyPlus shows vs the old MCU shows done by Marvel TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I’m getting fatigued but I know how much enjoyment these movies bring. I can’t binge tv series because I burn out. That’s just me. I grew up when there were virtually no comic book movies. I remember going to see Daredevil & just grinning at the screen. I couldn’t believe there was a Daredevil movie! Now I don’t get as excited for each new film. It’s like how I read comics for 20 plus years but gradually got bored. Probably bought them out of habit for 5 years before I gave them up. I still visit the forums though to keep up. I may not be getting tired of comic book movies but would never say they need to stop.
    Man, just so you know?

There were actually a few "Comic Book..." movies before that.

I grew up on the original Superman movies and enjoyed the Batman films of the 80’s & 90’s. Daredevil wasn’t a character I ever expected to get a movie. I couldn’t believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    I grew up on the original Superman movies and enjoyed the Batman films of the 80’s & 90’s. Daredevil wasn’t a character I ever expected to get a movie. I couldn’t believe it.
    Seeing Sam Raimi's Spider-Man on the big screen in a comic accurate costume is still a high I will never forget.

I believed a man could fly.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I believed a man could fly.
    When me and my buddy 1st saw a Aquaman poster at a theater I looked at him and pointed at it and said "You will believe a Man can Swim".

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Agents of Shields, Agent Carter, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Ironfist, Defenders, Punisher, Inhumans, Runaways, & Cloak and Dagger.

These shows were painfully disconnected from the larger MCU and thus didn't build up to anything involving the larger picture. They also varied in quality not just against each other but season to seasons within themselves.

There just seems to be this unrealistic expectation for the DisneyPlus shows vs the old MCU shows done by Marvel TV.
    I am a little concerned that they are falling into that same pattern of the Marvel TV stuff and have faith that Disney can do better. Reminds me of this exchange from Iron Man:

"Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!"
    "Well, I'm sorry. I'm not Tony Stark."

But you are Tony Stark! (Disney) You can do better, I've seen it.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

If Marvel’s concerned about quality and getting the best bang for the buck, or signs of fan fatigue, it would make perfect sense to slow releases down or scale them back from 6-episode series.

Disney doesn’t want to be the farmer who kills the goose laying golden eggs.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I’m kind of tired. I grew up a big comic fan & love seeing these films made. I just didn’t expect it to go on forever. Correct me if I’m wrong but what’s happening with the MCU Films / tv shows is unprecedented right? I mean James Bond is forever but those come out every few nears. Star Wars spin-offs would be the closest thing I guess. A movie or two every other year wouldn’t bug me. I just can’t motivate myself to go see all the Marvel films in theaters. Just not that interested. When I see timelines that cover YEARS, I just think it’s sad to think no other movie genre will pop up to dominate the box office.
    When I see niche stuff like third-tier Marvel characters getting a look-see, I'm actually encouraged, because it means that people *who aren't Marvel/Disney* are scrambling for sources to pillage for movies and shows, whether it's fantasy stories I've enjoyed when I was younger (Wheel of Time, Feist's Magician, etc.) or sci-fi like the Expanse, or whatever. The more success Marvel has with stuff like Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man, which few if any fans expected or even asked for, the more likely that other studios will be scrambling to find the next great genre IP.

I'm just waiting for them to get around to a big-budget Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny, or At the Mountains of Madness, by Lovecraft.

Until then, I'll coast along watching Marvel movies until they get around to really fleshing out characters like Monica Rambeau (on the way!) or real D-tier characters like Stingray, Living Lightning or Texas Twister! (Or Frenzy or Tempo or Dust or Hellion, on the mutant side of things, which will probably happen in 2054, at this rate, after the seventh person has played Wolverine.)
    Last edited by Sutekh; 12-13-2022 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    …I'm just waiting for them to get around to a big-budget Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny, or At the Mountains of Madness, by Lovecraft.
    I want to see the Kirby-designed Lords of Light movie! Finally!