Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Answer: NO

1. Iconography: just by wearing them we no its her, if not her, it's an amazon.

2. Symbolism: Its legit the cuffs of a ball and chain without the ball and chain. A reminder of what the amazons suffered and an oath they swore, that no man, woman, or God will ever chain them again.

3. Culture: All amazons wear them. I imagine some have them decorated with ornaments and unique designs to show off their individuality.

4. Uniqueness: Diana's (much like Nubia, Cassie, Yara, and Donna) was forged via Hephestus and are absolutely indestructible. Made from a combination of Adamantium and Amazonium.

3. Abilities: Diana's gauntlets (again like the other Wonders) are indestructible, can deflect any kind of attack, create a AOE concussive blast that can stun/knockback virtually anyone, if she crosses them together, she can generate a protective shield in front of her and can even catch/store enemy projectiles and energy attacks to throw them back at them. Also like she is a fighter, what body part do fighters use to block attacks? the wrists.... so, like in H2H she shouldn't be getting hit virtually at all given her skill level and the fact that the bracelets block all damage.

I am usually of the mindset that if, using only JL members as a measurement, Superman is a 100/100 in durability than Diana is a 90/100. Still easily in his range but a small gap, hence the gauntlets which easily makes up that gap and then some. She is 100% bullet proof IDGAF what anyone else says. No mortal weapon should be able to harm her.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    If the ideal Wonder Woman is as invulnerable as Superman,why would she need a high grade defensive item like the ideal bracelets of submission?

(Disregard DC insistence on the shield)
    Because neither Superman nor Wonder Woman are truly invulnerable, and Wonder Woman has quite a few villains with esoteric abilities, plus fights the likes of Darkseid who have Omega beams and more.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 12-11-2022 at 11:43 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Something that always puzzled me is why WW not being absolutely bullet proof is a problem but people way less durable like Wolverine get to be Billy Bad@$$ all day regardless.
    Because Wolverine has super healing and regeneration, and don't operates on a level where bullets just look pathetic, heck Wonder Woman don't even has any notable villains who are a threat and use bullets at all.
    Last edited by Rightoya; 12-11-2022 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Answer: NO

1. Iconography: just by wearing them we no its her, if not her, it's an amazon.

2. Symbolism: Its legit the cuffs of a ball and chain without the ball and chain. A reminder of what the amazons suffered and an oath they swore, that no man, woman, or God will ever chain them again.

3. Culture: All amazons wear them. I imagine some have them decorated with ornaments and unique designs to show off their individuality.

4. Uniqueness: Diana's (much like Nubia, Cassie, Yara, and Donna) was forged via Hephestus and are absolutely indestructible. Made from a combination of Adamantium and Amazonium.

3. Abilities: Diana's gauntlets (again like the other Wonders) are indestructible, can deflect any kind of attack, create a AOE concussive blast that can stun/knockback virtually anyone, if she crosses them together, she can generate a protective shield in front of her and can even catch/store enemy projectiles and energy attacks to throw them back at them. Also like she is a fighter, what body part do fighters use to block attacks? the wrists.... so, like in H2H she shouldn't be getting hit virtually at all given her skill level and the fact that the bracelets block all damage.

I am usually of the mindset that if, using only JL members as a measurement, Superman is a 100/100 in durability than Diana is a 90/100. Still easily in his range but a small gap, hence the gauntlets which easily makes up that gap and then some. She is 100% bullet proof IDGAF what anyone else says. No mortal weapon should be able to harm her.
    Um, Adamantium? That's Marvel territory

Post Crisis they were made of pieces of Zeus' shield, the Aegis.
    Pre Crisis it's Amazonium
    TV show it was Feminum

This discussion reminds me of...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Superman himself is not truly invulnerable and gets injured by stuff other than kryptonite all the time. Diana being bulletproof isn't going to make her immune to all harm. These arguments sound like people want Diana to use the bracelets all the time as if they're the only way to display her speed and skill. Like how some Spider-Man fans think mechanical web-shooters are the be all when it comes to Peter's intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Um, Adamantium? That's Marvel territory

Post Crisis they were made of pieces of Zeus' shield, the Aegis.
    Pre Crisis it's Amazonium
    TV show it was Feminum

You do realize that Adamantium IS the metal the Gods use in Greek myth, right? It's not just a Marvel thing...

Also, Feminum sounds incredibly more stupid than Amazonium, so I really don't much care for it. especially if all it does is the same thing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Superman himself is not truly invulnerable and gets injured by stuff other than kryptonite all the time. Diana being bulletproof isn't going to make her immune to all harm. These arguments sound like people want Diana to use the bracelets all the time as if they're the only way to display her speed and skill. Like how some Spider-Man fans think mechanical web-shooters are the be all when it comes to Peter's intelligence.
    Suprise suprise, this ends up being another bulletproof debate, again. But I do agree that the bracelets are not the only way to show speed or skill, and that being bulletproof doesn't suddenly mean she is invincible.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Because when Wolverine gets shot, he immediately shrugs it off and heals. When Diana gets shot, creators have her drop like a stone:

To answer the OP, Wonder Woman isn't/shouldn't be invulnerable the way Superman is. She can still be wounded and hurt, so she does need her bracelets to defend against attacks she can't just tank.
    That's the practical, in-universe reason anyway. Everyone else pointed out the symbolic and "it's just cooler" reasons.
    Superman can be hurt and wonded too. I am sure no WW fan is asking for her to be unstoppable. Just have her powers be consistent and coherent, which means it shouldn't be ok to have a character as powerfyl as she is meant to be, dropping like a fly by getting shot. Such as in the scan you posted. It adds nothing to the character, to suggest that she can die from a normal bullet as if she was just another ordinary mortal. When her whole origin is rooted in magic, divinity and Godly powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Because Wolverine has super healing and regeneration, and don't operates on a level where bullets just look pathetic, heck Wonder Woman don't even has any notable villains who are a threat and use bullets at all.
    And WW does not? She had fast healing in PreCrisis, the TV show, post Crisis, and during volume 3 with Gail's run. So the lack of fast healing surely cannot be a reason since she has had that across multiple runs in the comics and multiple media interpretations

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    And WW does not? She had fast healing in PreCrisis, the TV show, post Crisis, and during volume 3 with Gail's run. So the lack of fast healing surely cannot be a reason since she has had that across multiple runs in the comics and multiple media interpretations
    When did she have fast healing in any of these?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Superman can be hurt and wonded too. I am sure no WW fan is asking for her to be unstoppable. Just have her powers be consistent and coherent, which means it shouldn't be ok to have a character as powerfyl as she is meant to be, dropping like a fly by getting shot. Such as in the scan you posted. It adds nothing to the character, to suggest that she can die from a normal bullet as if she was just another ordinary mortal. When her whole origin is rooted in magic, divinity and Godly powers.
    I really can't wrap my brain around "she can be punched by a new god but a small piece of lead moving slower than said new gods will rip her in half." You can't have her take punches from Superman, Shazam, Aquaman, GL constructs, etc. and seriously tell me that a goddamn bullet will pierce her flesh when those impacts don't break skin.

Yes, I know how physics work. The smaller surface area of the bullet's point isn't going to produce more force than a haymaker from any of the powerhouses I listed. A bullet won't level a building. Giganta does so with ease, and yet Diana tanks all her hits like a champ.

I don't want to hear any "she's weak to man-made stuff as a thematic" because you have Wonder Woman being easily dispatched by the most common replacement for pathetic men's sense of self-worth: guns. It's weak, especially when we have Batman taking Joker's revolver point-blank to the head and getting a headache at best, or you know, surviving re-entry with his underwear on his face.

It's the worst.

The bracelets seem to create the illusion that she /needs/ them. She doesn't any more than Superman needs a cape. A big part of it is visual, and each have practical uses, but if we were going to start stripping away design elements to costumes that serve no real function, you'd lose Superman's cape and Batman's cowl ears. They're aesthetic. And that's okay. It's a visual medium. Some **** can be around just because it's cool. Diana's bracelets aren't just there for looks, but even if they were, they're iconic as is her using them at high speed to deflect projectiles.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-12-2022 at 01:43 PM.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I believe in one or two episodes from the first season on ABC, the Nazi's poisoned her and they remarked how fast she threw off the effects of the poison at the hospital. I think when she stood up they had her momentarily lose her balance a little before recovering to show how potent the poison was. Most likely powerful enough to kill us normal types

Mention of her Amazon constitution and training are frequent during Pre-Crisis and when fans wrote in to discuss powers and such editorial reminded them of that and other bits. In the TV show she threw off paralytics in her WW form. Post Crisis, Perez and Berger explored her healing powers a great deal and Rucka called back those first 36 issues during his run leveraging those dynamics in the Medousa arc. The differences though were in the Hows. Pre-Crisis it was Amazon "constitution" which made me ask Gramma how she could fight if she was lugging the Constitution around and if she would be arrested when she went to DC again (I was little, okay). Perez and Berger attributed it to a combination of things: the Power of the Earth, Amazon physiology, and Amazon training. They had her be able to insta-heal if she used that innate power with her lasso which I never saw the first one do. She would later also use prayer/astral projection to do it. Unfortunately I don't think it works that way post Flashturd/New Fifty-Flop as EVERYTHING about her was dialed WAY DOWN

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I really can't wrap my brain around "she can be punched by a new god but a small piece of lead moving slower than said new gods will rip her in half." You can't have her take punches from Superman, Shazam, Aquaman, GL constructs, etc. and seriously tell me that a goddamn bullet will pierce her flesh when those impacts don't break skin.

Yes, I know how physics work. The smaller surface area of the bullet's point isn't going to produce more force than a haymaker from any of the powerhouses I listed. A bullet won't level a building. Giganta does so with ease, and yet Diana tanks all her hits like a champ.

I don't want to hear any "she's weak to man-made stuff as a thematic" because you have Wonder Woman being easily dispatched by the most common replacement for pathetic men's sense of self-worth: guns. It's weak, especially when we have Batman taking Joker's revolver point-blank to the head and getting a headache at best, or you know, surviving re-entry with his underwear on his face.

It's the worst.

The bracelets seem to create the illusion that she /needs/ them. She doesn't any more than Superman needs a cape. A big part of it is visual, and each have practical uses, but if we were going to start stripping away design elements to costumes that serve no real function, you'd lose Superman's cape and Batman's cowl ears. They're aesthetic. And that's okay. It's a visual medium. Some **** can be around just because it's cool. Diana's bracelets aren't just there for looks, but even if they were, they're iconic as is her using them at high speed to deflect projectiles.
    The funny part to me is you can get a diabetic monitoring kit and demonstrate the viability of the paradigm. It functions.Bullets would have a harder time than needles or arrow tips though