Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Don't forget about the bracelets as the focus of her shockwave attacks as seen in the DCEU and the Zeus-spawned Lightning attack and forcefield in the comics...

Thought I WOULD like to forget about the Azzarello godpower dampening effect that was given to the bracelets...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Don't forget about the bracelets as the focus of her shockwave attacks as seen in the DCEU and the Zeus-spawned Lightning attack and forcefield in the comics...

Thought I WOULD like to forget about the Azzarello godpower dampening effect that was given to the bracelets...
    I would very much light to forget about the silly, Zeus based lightning powers... And anything Azz did to her.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    I'm talking about the ridiculousness of applying real world physics to comics ... So it still applies.

None of it makes any kind of sense in the real world, so just go with it and have fun.
    Conveniently, none of these guys defy physics in such a way that they must be vulnerable to a small piece of metal moving much slower than them while also shrugging off things that are more than a thousand times as damaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Conveniently, none of these guys defy physics in such a way that they must be vulnerable to a small piece of metal moving much slower than them while also shrugging off things that are more than a thousand times as damaging.
    Sigh.... I'm just talking about not getting too nitpicky about insisting real world physics be applied to characters who fly, run at the speed of light, have magic rings, shrink to the size of molecules, etc.
    That's all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    Sigh.... I'm just talking about not getting too nitpicky about insisting real world physics be applied to characters who fly, run at the speed of light, have magic rings, shrink to the size of molecules, etc.
    That's all.
    I get that. I really do.

The problem isn't "real world physics." The problem is consistency. No matter how fantastical the premise, a story must follow it's own internal logic (which isn't necessarily real world logic) in order to suspend disbelief. For example Spider-Man has a clearly defined set of superpowers. The comic clearly establishes what he can and cannot do. Now imagine if, say, he could suddenly shoot lightning out of his hands. No in-story explanation, he can just do it. See what I mean about consistency?

In this case, WW can withstand punches from super-powerful foes. Why should plain old bullets be lethal to her when she can withstand much greater forces?

And to answer the OP's question no, the bracelets are not useless. Why do so many people keep acting like WW being bulletproof somehow makes her invulnerable? You do read comics don't you? There are zillions of weapons/dangers vastly more dangerous than plain old bullets that WW needs the bracelets to defend against. Lasers, weapons made of super-strong metals, magic weapons, magic creatures with claws and fangs etc.

As to WW deflecting bullets specifically, there are tons of reasons for her to do that.

1) Just letting bullets bounce off her runs the risk of bystanders being hit. By deflecting them at specific angles she can ensure nobody is hurt.

2) Again, these are comics where super-metals exist. In Marvel we've seen adamantium bullets. The same thing could happen with DC super-metals. How can WW be certain her foes are using regular bullets? Why take the risk?

3) Even if regular bullets can't kill her, they might still sting a little. Why endure needless pain if she doesn't have to?

Also, the invisible jet can still be used to transport cargo or carry passengers.

Spectacular Member

I would like to say that I was NOT thinking of bullets when I started this threat

My question was why Wonder Woman would need to use the bracelets as defense when she is already tough enough to survive most things unscathed

I know that its possible to hurt her,but something dangerous enough that she would need to block would be rare,to the point where most of the time the bracelets wouldn't serve any kinda of purpose

Yes,I am aware of symbolism beyond them,even before I started this threat,so I guess what I'm asking is:Should the bracelets be active part of her arsenal or become simple ornaments?

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    I would like to say that I was NOT thinking of bullets when I started this threat

My question was why Wonder Woman would need to use the bracelets as defense when she is already tough enough to survive most things unscathed

I know that its possible to hurt her,but something dangerous enough that she would need to block would be rare,to the point where most of the time the bracelets wouldn't serve any kinda of purpose

Yes,I am aware of symbolism beyond them,even before I started this threat,so I guess what I'm asking is:Should the bracelets be active part of her arsenal or become simple ornaments?
    It's part of her arsenal, always. The simple fix is not to turn her into a glass canon that is powerful but is dropped dead on a 9mm. But to level up her threats to match her, let them get access to those rare weapons. I can name 5 people, from her own rouges gallery, that could provide an army with tools to hurt Diana right now. It just takes a bit of creativity.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I get that. I really do.

The problem isn't "real world physics." The problem is consistency. No matter how fantastical the premise, a story must follow it's own internal logic (which isn't necessarily real world logic) in order to suspend disbelief. For example Spider-Man has a clearly defined set of superpowers. The comic clearly establishes what he can and cannot do. Now imagine if, say, he could suddenly shoot lightning out of his hands. No in-story explanation, he can just do it. See what I mean about consistency?

In this case, WW can withstand punches from super-powerful foes. Why should plain old bullets be lethal to her when she can withstand much greater forces?

And to answer the OP's question no, the bracelets are not useless. Why do so many people keep acting like WW being bulletproof somehow makes her invulnerable? You do read comics don't you? There are zillions of weapons/dangers vastly more dangerous than plain old bullets that WW needs the bracelets to defend against. Lasers, weapons made of super-strong metals, magic weapons, magic creatures with claws and fangs etc.

As to WW deflecting bullets specifically, there are tons of reasons for her to do that.

1) Just letting bullets bounce off her runs the risk of bystanders being hit. By deflecting them at specific angles she can ensure nobody is hurt.

2) Again, these are comics where super-metals exist. In Marvel we've seen adamantium bullets. The same thing could happen with DC super-metals. How can WW be certain her foes are using regular bullets? Why take the risk?

3) Even if regular bullets can't kill her, they might still sting a little. Why endure needless pain if she doesn't have to?

Also, the invisible jet can still be used to transport cargo or carry passengers.
    This pretty much all of this. Its basic world building 101.

Wasn't there also a function of the bracelets at one point (during Azzarello IRC), where they had the ability to summon an arsenal of weapons?

Wasn't there also a function of the bracelets at one point (during Azzarello IRC), where they had the ability to summon an arsenal of weapons?
    It was random as usual with him but yes.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    It was random as usual with him but yes.
    Found a visual reference, weird. Could be something cool to give to Donna or one of the other Wonders though...

Funny, this thread became kind of a BRACELETS OF SUBMISSION APPRECIATION

Quote Originally Posted by hareluyafan1 View Post
    I get that. I really do.

But they aren't. If anything, she seems to be annoyed by bullets, rather than actually hurt.

main-qimg-0c7d06931038f5da02156db16e344186-lq.jpg
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post
    But they aren't. If anything, she seems to be annoyed by bullets, rather than actually hurt.

later, priest run of jl had her almost dying from a bullet. And If the bullets can go through het body, like in the scan you posted. Then she should be dead every time she gets hit by attacks with greater force. So yes, makes no sense from a fictional world perspective either. Because nobody has ever cared about actually giving an explanation to her ''weakness'', and being bulletp´roof does not make her unstoppable, and doesn't make the bracelets useless either.

Quote Originally Posted by rayray1127 View Post

That was pretty stupid tbh coming from the same guy that gave her this...

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Made from a combination of Adamantium and Amazonium.
    You're describing Captain America's shield (vibranium and adamantium), not Wonder Woman's bracelets.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman