Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Pretty much, yes: any drastic change to a timeline triggers a fork, with one branch preserving the original. The merging of Earth 2 into the combined Earth would definitely qualify, spawning a branch where Earth 2 didn't merge into the post-Crisis Earth
    It initially seemed like this was where Johns was going (in-story) in Justice Society of America with the JSI earth.

The JSI had a seemingly identical past to the original heroes of the pre-Crisis Earth-Two and remembered a CRISIS, the sky turning red and believed that their earth was the only earth in the multiverse to survive.

Frustratingly the story also had little hints and nods (Kara Zor-‘EL’, Batman’s yellow oval etc etc. which indicated that this was not the original. Soon afterwards, it was outwardly confirmed.

Still, I believe Johns was toying with the idea of an ‘archived’ Earth-Two. The seed had been initially sown in Infinite Crisis when Earth-Two was the only earth to be resurrected (by Alexander Luthor) which had no people.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    SNIP!

As creative as this list of yours is, it's WAY too convoluted to be properly cataloged.
    Nearly everything I posted there actually came from Crisis on Infinite Earths: Absolute Edition; it wasn't my doing.

Personally, I would still build upon what DC has gotten (Earth's Zero, Earths One thru 52, the Anti-verse and the Dark-verse), and use that as the foundation for this world-building.
    Agreed. And that is, in fact, what was done. The issue is how much to build on that foundation.

Earth-Zero would be the "present" iteration of the DCU (until a reboot occurs), with a new "reality" replacing the previous one, consigning it to a new timeline. Example: The Golden Age DCU is replaced by the Silver Age DCU, which itself by a Modern Age DCU. The GA DCU reality become Earth-1938", while the Silver Age DCU reality becomes "Earth-1956", and so on. Essentially, any time DC gets rebooted, it spawns a new Earth. Ergo:

Earth-1938
    Earth-1956
    Earth-1985
    Earth-1994
    Earth-2003
    Earth-2006

And so on.
    This is the Doomsday Clock idea; although it used 1985 to represent the Earth that Earth 0 replaced in 1985. I'm done with just calling all of that Hypertime, without need to give names or numbers to the archived Earths.

But here's the kicker: you can easily have nested realities, where the aforementioned Earths can only access those universes that that Earth is most associated with. So, only, for example, Earth-1956 can travel to a dimension that is associated with the realities of that particular era. So, Earth-1956 can only access, let's say, Earth-S, not Earth-5.
    In the Hypertime model, that's addressed by the fact that a given timeline can contain entire Multiverses.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Astonishing Member

Multiverse 2 aka the pre crisis Multiverse was restored and added itself with Multiverse 1. That's what happened on the pages.

Quote Originally Posted by jaygon View Post
    It initially seemed like this was where Johns was going (in-story) in Justice Society of America with the JSI earth.

The JSI had a seemingly identical past to the original heroes of the pre-Crisis Earth-Two and remembered a CRISIS, the sky turning red and believed that their earth was the only earth in the multiverse to survive.

Frustratingly the story also had little hints and nods (Kara Zor-‘EL’, Batman’s yellow oval etc etc. which indicated that this was not the original. Soon afterwards, it was outwardly confirmed.

Still, I believe Johns was toying with the idea of an ‘archived’ Earth-Two. The seed had been initially sown in Infinite Crisis when Earth-Two was the only earth to be resurrected (by Alexander Luthor) which had no people.
    I think that if you're saying “Batman had a yellow oval, stop it can't be the same universe”, you're getting excessively nitpicky.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Spectacular Member

Perhaps. But the addition of the yellow oval was one of the commonly agreed icons which differentiated the Silver Age/Bronze Age Batman from his Golden Age/Earth-Two counterpart. Much like Kara Zor-El and Kara Zor-L.

Johns JSA books were pretty well researched. I doubt it was sloppy writing/artwork/editing.
    Last edited by jaygon; 12-14-2022 at 02:29 PM.

Perhaps. But the addition of the yellow oval was one of the icons which identified and differentiated the Silver Age/Bronze Age Batman from his Golden Age/Earth-Two counterpart. Much like Kara Zor-El and Kara Zor-L.

Johns JSA books were pretty well researched. I doubt it was sloppy writing/artwork/editing.
    As much as I like Johns, he's more of a “story first, nitpicky details second if at all” type of writer. “Sloppy” writing/artwork/editing is entirely possible, for some definition of “sloppy”.
    Rogue wears rouge.

Astonishing Member

I've read some of the issues of Super Friends, some of the issues reference events that happened on Earth 1. The Super Friends world also has their own exclusive villians.

Versions of TNT and his side-kick Dan the Dyna-Mite also exist on their world.

Spectacular Member

As much as I like Johns, he's more of a “story first, nitpicky details second if at all” type of writer. “Sloppy” writing/artwork/editing is entirely possible, for some definition of “sloppy”.
    To the point where he would use ‘Zor-El’ rather than ‘Zor-L’ in a story which, for the most part, focused on Power Girl? it might seem like a minor error but IC had been full of very accurate references to her original identity as had those JSA books.

Astonishing Member

Not contemporary, no: George Reeves Superman was 1951; Adam West Batman was 1966; and Lynda Carter Wonder Woman was 1975.
    Not according to Alex Ross.

But seriously, it could go either way, but Chris Reeves Superman would be "Superboy" during the Adam West Era, where George Reeves Superman would have already been established, especially given the age of Robin during the Adam West Era.
    Yeah, I see George Reeves Superman as potentially existing in the same world as Adam West's Batman (and Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman).

It makes sense - the Reeves Superman was in his early career when the show started in the early 50's and Adam West's Batman was probably starting out at the same time, or a few years later. So in that sense, they are contemporaries, give or take a few years.

Sometime during the run of Reeves Superman's black-and-white seasons, I can imagine West's Batman, in something resembling the original 1939 suit, first starting to prowl the rooftops of Gotham...

I think that if you're saying “Batman had a yellow oval, stop it can't be the same universe”, you're getting excessively nitpicky.
    Perhaps. But the addition of the yellow oval was one of the commonly agreed icons which differentiated the Silver Age/Bronze Age Batman from his Golden Age/Earth-Two counterpart. Much like Kara Zor-El and Kara Zor-L.

Oh the JSI earth was definitely not the same as the original Earth Two.

Dataweaver is right on the logo not proving anything by itself though. Wasn't there at least one Silver Age/Bronze Age story which depicted Earth Two Batman as having the yellow oval?

Anyway, even if the Earth Two Batman never had the oval, Earth One Batman clearly didn't always have the oval...the first three years of JLA stories, for instance, had him sans oval. The Untold Legend of Batman later tried to retcon that in the early 80's by suggesting that the Earth One Batman always had the oval...I guess around that time DC'd decided to retroactively make the oval a big differentiator between the two earths.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, I see George Reeves Superman as potentially existing in the same world as Adam West's Batman (and Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman).

It makes sense - the Reeves Superman was in his early career when the show started in the early 50's and Adam West's Batman was probably starting out at the same time, or a few years later. So in that sense, they are contemporaries, give or take a few years.

Sometime during the run of Reeves Superman's black-and-white seasons, I can imagine West's Batman, in something resembling the original 1939 suit, first starting to prowl the rooftops of Gotham...
    I don't disagree with this. It's just that the three shows in question did span a nearly 30-year period — more, once you consider that season one of Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was set in World War II.

I also wouldn't limit that Earth to those three series. In particular, the 70s saw several other superheroes that could be incorporated into that shared universe: a Shazam! series featuring Billy Batson traveling in an RV with Mentor; the Secrets of Isis, a companion show to Shazam!; and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl.
    Rogue wears rouge.

I don't disagree with this. It's just that the three shows in question did span a nearly 30-year period — more, once you consider that season one of Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was set in World War II.

I also wouldn't limit that Earth to those three series. In particular, the 70s saw several other superheroes that could be incorporated into that shared universe: a Shazam! series featuring Billy Batson traveling in an RV with Mentor; the Secrets of Isis, a companion show to Shazam!; and Electra Woman and Dyna Girl.
    Legnds of the Superheoes TV Specials was set in the same continuity of the Batman 6 TV show and had a Captain Marvel on them. I also remember the Electra Woman and Dyna Girl pilot from 2001 had a Flash and Aquaman cameo and various other DC charaters refrenced but does Warner Brothers or DC own the Electra Woman properties?

Incredible Member

I guess, in this case, you would end up having an Earth-1/Earth-2 situation: George Reeves Superman being of one world (along with everyone UP until the introduction of the Christopher Reeves Superman, then you have the Christopher Reeves Superman with everyone behind him. TWO different Supermen, each with an Adam West Batman and a Wonder Woman. A lot of straddling of timelines/realities, I guess. That'll change, of course, with the introduction of the Michael Keaton Batman, which will introduce a new Earth dynamic. Oy, what a headache...but in a good way. LOL.

I'm gonna change the thread a bit and ask, what worlds were you surprised to see left out? The easy answer is DKR, but that was explained back in Multiversity. I'm kind of surprised to see the Murhpyverse and the Arkhamverse left in the dust, personally.

Bear in mind that just because it's not on this list, that doesn't mean it's been left out. Earth 247, for example, exists: it's the Earth of the post-ZH Legion of Superheroes, and is going to be featured in the upcoming Legion of Four Worlds story. But it's not on the list in DC:BB.

What are you referring to when you mention Murphyverse and Arkhamverse?
    Rogue wears rouge.