Default I finally thought of the perfect screen Alfred.

The men who've played him in recent years are obviously all fine actors (at least), but to my mind none of them capture the character from the comics in an entirely satisfactory way. 15 or 20 years ago, I would have cast John Cleese. Other than that, I've never been able to think of anyone who's quite right.

It suddenly struck me today: Mark Rylance. Widely considered the greatest Shakespearean stage actor of his generation, he has also done a lot of screen work, especially in recent years with Steven Spielberg. Here he is in Spielberg's Bridge of Spies in 2015. Add the little mustache, maybe lose the glasses, put him in a tuxedo... bam.

And I can't resist linking to this clip of him in the Globe Theatre's production of Richard III several years ago. I was lucky enough to see him in this when it came to Broadway, and it was one of the most extraordinary performances I've ever seen.

Anyway, that's my pitch. Just a fun thought experiment - with the Reeves Batchise in place for probably several years to come, I doubt it will ever happen.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I had to look up his name, I didn't recognize it, but I can see that definitely.