Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Who Should Direct The Next Wonder Woman Film?

Now that Patty Jenkins has exited the project, who should direct the next installment?

I have a few favorites in mind. Here’s my list of potential candidates

Katheryn Bigelow
    Jennifer Kent
    Karyn Kasuma
    Lynne Ramsay
    Andrea Arnold
    Cate Shortland
    Regina King
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Someone that can make an interesting movie. Someone that can make a story about challenging yourself that doesn't feel hockey or derivative. And hopefully someone that enjoys genre movies but tries to do them in their own unique way.

My choice is: Ana Lily Amirpour. Most of you probably haven't seen her movies. She wouldn't bring in viewers based on her name, but neither would any other director we would want.

She's definitely someone James Gunn would probably love and if you check out her first movie about a female vampire, and her third movie about a woman woth psyhic powers you can see how she makes movies with tons of style. Her second movie isn't as fun even though the premise is pretty cool

DIRECTOR: Julie Taymor (Frida, Titus)
    PRODUCER: Drew Barrymore (Charlie's Angels)
    STORY CONSULTANTS: Gail Simone, Phil Jimenez
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

WBD is not gonna spend at least 150-200 million dollars making a Wonder Woman film (or any other potential superhero blockbuster) and then give it to some "unique, creative, distinctive" director. Look what happened to Eternals. These films cannot afford "unique" voices who might alienate general audiences. These films need workmanlike directors who are efficient, competent, and who can make films that are in tune with more commercially viable trends. There is no way in hell they are gonna give this to Julie Taymor or Ana Lily Amirpour.
    I am sure that, if the studio wants to get a female director for a Wonder Woman reboot, they will think of someone like Loraine Scafaria (Hustlers), Gina Maria Prince-Bythewood (The Old Guard, The Woman King), or Kathryn Bigelow (Strange Days, Near Dark).

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    WBD is not gonna spend at least 150-200 million dollars making a Wonder Woman film (or any other potential superhero blockbuster) and then give it to some "unique, creative, distinctive" director. Look what happened to Eternals.
    Ana Lily Amirpour's previous movies:
    1st "In the Iranian ghost-town Bad City, a place that reeks of death and loneliness, the townspeople are unaware they are being stalked by a lonesome skateboarding vampire."

2nd "In a desert dystopia, a young woman is kidnapped by cannibals. She escapes and ends up on a journey to reunite a missing girl with her father."

3rd "When a struggling single mother befriends a mysterious woman who has supernatural powers, she sees a lucrative opportunity to make some fast cash. However, their crime spree soon draws unwanted attention as the cops start to close in."

These are superhero movies on a shoestring budget and with famous actors. I didn't just pick a female director that maintained her career with awards and no box office, I picked a female director that already does superhero movies but without the budget to make them big action movies. Her movies are nothing like Nomadland or Eternals (I actually loved Eternals but it definitely isn't a good choice for WW right now)

The only film Patty Jenkins directed before Wonder Woman was Monster, a drama movie about a woman with scars that killed men and prostituted herself. This is nothing close to a superhero movie. And Loraine Scafaria also hasn't made anything remitely similar to a superhero movie or action movie.

I picked someone whose directing career most resembled James Gunn before Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Last edited by Alpha; 12-14-2022 at 04:16 AM.

I don't even think we'll get more Wonder Woman movies. Seems like we'll have to feed from secondary aparitions and cameos on Batman films until 2045, most likely.

Yeah, I know, it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    I don't even think we'll get more Wonder Woman movies. Seems like we'll have to feed from secondary aparitions and cameos on Batman films until 2045, most likely.

Yeah, I know, it sucks.
    Eh, I wouldn't go that far. If the video game does well (if it actually gets made) then they'll surely make more movies. Wonder Woman is one thing DC has that Marvel doesn't have, no other female superhero can compare to her. WB would be stupid not to take advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't go that far. If the video game does well (if it actually gets made) then they'll surely make more movies. Wonder Woman is one thing DC has that Marvel doesn't have, no other female superhero can compare to her. WB would be stupid not to take advantage of that.
    It's Warner, of course they are capable of something so incredibly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    It's Warner, of course they are capable of something so incredibly stupid.
    They are, but they literally can't afford to be this stupid anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    They are, but they literally can't afford to be this stupid anymore.
    I want to be positive and believe that WBD will indeed make more WW films. But it's so hard to be positive.

Martin Scorsese; make a Wonder Woman mob flick, have Angle Man be the main villain, make it bloody
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I want to be positive and believe that WBD will indeed make more WW films. But it's so hard to be positive.
    I get that, but it just makes no sense for them to ignore one of their most successful characters. Gunn likes his D-listers, but Black Adam has proven that they're not gonna make any money at this moment. And I doubt they'll go straight to the Justice League either after how much of a bomb the last attempt was.

Oh well now, did I say 2045??? Seems like I was being very optimistic

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Ana Lily Amirpour's previous movies:
    1st "In the Iranian ghost-town Bad City, a place that reeks of death and loneliness, the townspeople are unaware they are being stalked by a lonesome skateboarding vampire."

2nd "In a desert dystopia, a young woman is kidnapped by cannibals. She escapes and ends up on a journey to reunite a missing girl with her father."

3rd "When a struggling single mother befriends a mysterious woman who has supernatural powers, she sees a lucrative opportunity to make some fast cash. However, their crime spree soon draws unwanted attention as the cops start to close in."

These are superhero movies on a shoestring budget and with famous actors. I didn't just pick a female director that maintained her career with awards and no box office, I picked a female director that already does superhero movies but without the budget to make them big action movies. Her movies are nothing like Nomadland or Eternals (I actually loved Eternals but it definitely isn't a good choice for WW right now)

The only film Patty Jenkins directed before Wonder Woman was Monster, a drama movie about a woman with scars that killed men and prostituted herself. This is nothing close to a superhero movie. And Loraine Scafaria also hasn't made anything remitely similar to a superhero movie or action movie.

I picked someone whose directing career most resembled James Gunn before Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Ana Lily would be awesome, but I think she's fairly niche for a propery this big. We got to be realistic.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I wouldn't be against the Russo bro's taking a stab at WW. If they want to dabble on the DC side of things